desertrat1

Drilling holes in teacups

desertrat1

Ok, need some advice here. What is the sure fire way to do this? One cup took forever with a cement bit-and the hole is small. I just tried with some marred teacup rejects and the bit tip just rolls around the glazing at the bottom of the cup. I want to make drainage holes so I can plant up some lil' dish gardens. You expertises, help me!! TIA

love, Jules

• mzclassic

I use a diamond bit and I do it slowly with water running on it. It takes a little while, let the bit do the work and don't press real hard.

Donna in Florida

• Marlene Kindred

Ditto....I used a diamond bit and it went through quickly and easily....don't forget the water though!

• desertrat1

You are gems! On my way to get a diamond tip bit. It will be interesting with the water though.....but all makes sense.....
    Love, Jules

• grandmathyme

I use a ceramic bit...it's not made of ceramic, it's made to drill through ceramic. It looks like a little arrowhead on the end.

I am fortunate to have a drill press, so I can just put the project on the bed of the drill press and concentrate on the amount of pressure I put on the cup while drilling. Slow and steady is the secret, I've found. I have a cup of water beside me while I'm working and stop frequently and dip my hand into the water and dribble water into the hole then drill a little more and then dribble a little more. The bit gets really hot without the water.

I do break some things, but I'm kind of getting the knack now with practice. Good luck!

• desertrat1

Grandmathyme,
    Yep, I foudn the one with the arrowhead---for glass and ceramics. I will go slow. It also says I can use oil on it......If I get the time today I'm planning on drilling today...
    Love, Jules

• desertrat1

Thank you all for your help. I finally got all the holes drilled w/o even one cup breaking! I need some new batteries though for my cordless (since it is so old). Now, Just got to plant them up. I'll post photos when I'm all done...
    Love, Jules

• regina_2010

I use the oil when doing the ceramic cups and saucers. I think it helps with keeping both the bit and the cup or saucer lubricated. I also turn my cups upside down and drill into that way. I once made cups on saucers on sticks for little bird feeders. Enjoy.

• grandmathyme

I hadn't heard of using oil...I will have to try that next time. Do you use just a basic oil...like sewing machine or all-purpose lubricating oil?

• desertrat1

OK, so my tea cup planters are all done. My SIL had given me a teacup birdfeeder on a stick a few years ago. It cmae apart but I kept the teacup in the garden. Kept wondering what I was goign to eventually do with it....I used WD40 since it was readily available and water. I'm planning on giving these to all the ladies in my family (sisters, SIL, SIL's Mom and my Mom) The old teacup (from my SIL)I made up for myself. When you get to the page on my website it is under teh Garden Creations tab--just scroll down to dish gardens.....
    Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Creations by Julie (shutterfly)