0
foreverrecyclereuse

Anyone Growing Hardy Kiwi

ForeverRecycleReuse

I noticed at one of our parking lot nurseries that they are selling female and male hardy kiwi vines. Is anyone growing hardy kiwi? I would greatly appreciate hearing about your experience.

Based on initial web browsing, I know that you need both a male and female vine. (1) male can pollinate several female vines. The male vine leaves are much more attractive in color display. The fruits will not be the fuzzy, brown kiwi skinned that you buy in the grocery store but rather a thin green skinned that does not require removal before consumption. The northern hardy varieties have smaller fruit size. Also mentioned is that cats seem to be attracted to these vines and will munch on them.

I have a chain-link dog kennel/fence that I could grow these vines on. It would provide a nice canvas to the fencing and the future fruit would be an added bonus.