Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaynelle_gw

Concrete pad in back yard - what can I do?

shaynelle
15 years ago

I want a play area for my 14 month old daughter but our yard is almost all concrete. Is there any reasoanble way to grow grass over concrete? Can I put down a bunch of gravel then soil and seed it? Will it grow? Please answer if you know for sure as I've had others tell me they THINK it might not work... I can't afford landscape company service or I would ask them, but even if I could I want to find out myself rather than just believe it without knowledge. I've also checked into astro turf type artificial grass but it's not cheap!

Any ideas on how, without removing the concrete slab I can grow grass there?

Thank you!!

Comments (10)

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

nope, it would take several inches of soil over the concrete and even then it may be nothing more than a dirt pile. if you add several inches of dirt, you change your drainage and you may get water coming back into the house.

what about getting rubber mats to put down? or at the least some outdoor carpet. just the cheap stuff, it does not have to be top quality to do the job.

• hsvcara
    15 years ago

I think davidandkasie's idea of rubber is a good idea. I've seen rubber pavers in stores and they're about $2 per sq. ft. but no dirt and no mowing!

These even look like grass (kind of):
    http://www.diamond-safety.com/Sofscape.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubber pavers

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

Those that suggested "it might work"...evidently don't have a lawn and no nothing about drainage.

The reason there's lawns in front of homes is because there's soil under them and water drains away after the grass takes what it can use.

Since there is no possible way concrete or rubber, or plastic, or anything else that you try to substitute to rid the place of water, then there's no way to grow grass on them.

If you want a lawn, then commit yourself...break the concrete up, remove it, and replace with good soil.
    Then use either sod or seed.

If you wish to not remove the concrete, might I suggest you invest in a look-a-like grass---much like they use on baseball fields. It looks real, can be cut to measure and you wont need to buy another seed of grass...ever.
    There is only the problem of cost....it does cost a prety penny....and an even duller dollar.

There's many dealers in this product so choose wisely.

• bergenjersey
    15 years ago

jeannie, the suggestion of using rubber wasn't to help grow grass, it was to provide a soft surface as an alternative to grass.

I agree with you though that trying to grow grass over concrete won't really work. Even close to driveways and patios where there was gravel that spilled over into the lawn area you will see problems.

If you're concerned about safety, rubber is probably the best way to go and it seems like it's easy to remove if you wish.

Another option, I've seen some wooden tiles and planks that snap into a plastic matrix. I was considering them because I don't like the look of my patio that much and prefer the feel of wood underfoot. Not as soft for your needs though.

I'd go with something that doesn't require adhesive. That will be a pain for you or a future buyer if you choose to remove it.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

jeannie, i am sorry but i have a major headache. can you please point out where anyone here suggested it might work to put something over the concrete and plant grass?

i personally said that even with several inches of dirt you may well end up with nothing but a dirt pile and water drainage problems. and that a better alternative would be to make it safer by putting outdoor carpet or rubber padding so the kid does not get scraped up. hsvcara agreed.

paul said to rip the whole thing out if possible, regrade, then plant.

if you are going to accuse folks of "no nothing" you should at least READ what they typed. i swear i don't see 1 single post telling the OP to put dirt on it and plant it out.

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

I say somewhat lightheartedly it is threads like this one that sometimes make me wonder how we ever communicated with each other well enough to get out of caves.

David, I think Jeannie was referring to the people Shaynelle originally discussed the issue with _before_ Shanynelle posted here.

So, it appears by your offense and suggestion to Jeannie that she should read more carefully, you demonstrated a lack of understanding about both what Jeannie wrote and what Shaynelle originally wrote.

Of course... maybe I read it wrong?!

And, Shaynelle, I agree with those above who say you probably won't be happy long term trying to grow grass over concrete.

Going by expense, a play covering for the concrete would probably be cheapest. But, if you want grass the best approach would be a contractor and heavy equipment and dump truck. It can be done cheaper by hand with a jack hammer, but, it is pretty hard work.

• bergenjersey
    15 years ago

"I say somewhat lightheartedly it is threads like this one that sometimes make me wonder how we ever communicated with each other well enough to get out of caves."

That's the reason we left the caves. To get away from the crap other people were saying :)

• paulinct
    15 years ago

It's funny, I found myself agreeing with each subsequent post in this thread, apparently missing the point of most of them at the time...

Shaynelle,

Just to clarify, I suggested getting a quote from a contractor in part because you might be surprised at how reasonable it might be in this economic climate. A few years ago when everyone was acting like they were flush the trades had so much work they started quoting ridiculous prices, and getting them.

But now with homebuilding down and money scarce there is a lot of expensive equipment and workers just sitting around out there, and I don't think it would be difficult to find a very reasonable price to break up and remove a small concrete pad. More than the jackhammer approach certainly, but still maybe not too bad.

Just because it may be relevant, where in zone "2b" are you? Is that Alaska?

Paul

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

as i said, i had a major headache at the time and could not see where anyone else had suggested it here. the way i read her response was that one of us did, and now that my headache is gone(finally after 3 straight days of pounding!) i see it in the OP. with my head pounding and eyes crossing i did read it wrong, so jeannie i must apologize for jumping on you.