Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnhelton

Effect of Neem oil on beneficial bacteria in Veggie garden

gnhelton
13 years ago

Another gardener on Garden Web had suggested a book to me titled "Teaming With Microbes". I'm enjoying the book and it's enlightened me to quite a few things I had no idea of. Anyway, the entire premise is the microorganism start the work of supplying nutrients to plants if you have healthy soil.

Now my question, I've used neem oil spray concentrate the last 2 years liberally and as my only type of insect and disease control. But now I'm wondering if using neem destroys my good bacteria and fungus and suppresses what I'm trying to encourage?

I made the switch to learning and practicing organic 2 summers ago. My results have just been ok not great but I know I still have tons to learn.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• jolj
    13 years ago

Do not know,have not read anything on it.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

The major sellers of Neem Oil products will tell you it is a broad spectrum pesticide, it will aid in controlling plant diseases, it is an antiseptic (kills bacteria), and that it is safe to use. Neem Oil products will do all of that although it is a bit better then many other pest and disease controlling products, if used with due care. Will it kill off soil bacteria, yes just as any other anti bacterial will.

• ExteriorCareService
    10 years ago

Hi (first my posting btw). I specialize in these little microbes and their networks. Neem oil will harm some of the beneficial microbes in the soil and some that even live on the foliage as well. Others however, can benifit from it given the concentration of the active ingingredient in the oil and the emulsifier that is blended to help it mix with water. The majority of neem are faty acids omega 3, 6,&9; many benificial microbes eat these. And unless you are Spryaing the neem oil directly on or below the soil, small ammounts should barely drip on the ground.
    It never hurts to replenish the microbial population with compost tea or a little molasses and fish emulsion. Hope this helped.

This post was edited by ExteriorCareService on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 13:28

• ExteriorCareService
    10 years ago

Hi (first my posting btw). I specialize in these little microbes and their networks. Neem oil will harm some of the beneficial microbes in the soil and some that even live on the foliage as well. Others however, can benifit from it given the concentration of the active ingingredient in the oil and the emulsifier that is blended to help it mix with water. The majority of neem are faty acids omega 3, 6,&9; many benificial microbes eat these. And unless you are Spryaing the neem oil directly on or below the soil, small ammounts should barely drip on the ground.
    It never hurts to replenish the microbial population with compost tea or a little molasses and fish emulsion. Hope this helped.

• Cody Thompson
    5 years ago

@ExteriorCareService

I recently found this comment while researching neem. I'm very interested in Microbial networks and would love to talk to you.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz