0
mymonsters4us

Tree-like Vine

MyMonsters4Us
April 7, 2012

Can anyone ID what this tree-like vine is? Or why it would be growing in our yard? I understand little vines, that crawl all over and just cover everything, but until I moved to OK to live with my husband, I never saw anything like this. It's obviously been growing for a long time... might have to remove it at some point (eep) but for now I just enjoy the look of it crawling all over the top of the old shed (and it's broken through the side of it- oops) but mostly it just tangles all over this tree (a mulberry tree) and sends out thick strands of finger-shaped leaf vines with thick wire-like tangles to latch onto everything.

{{gwi:173653}}

• MyMonsters4Us

To make it easier to understand what you're looking at (just in case) :
    Photo of just the vine itself /
    vine mingled with tree /
    vine crawling across the side/roof of an old shed

• flora_uk

There are many vines which would look like this when they get old. Without any leaves it is a challenge to id it. My guess from the bark and twigs would be be one of the Parthenocissus. e.g P quinquefolia, Virginia Creeper. I have a 20 year old P henryana which looks very similar.

• MyMonsters4Us

I didn't realize those kinds of vines could get so big and thick, or that they were made out of wood.. I thought they were all tangled stems and leafs. Well, goes to show how much I know :P I will have to try to get a photo of the leaves later, it's soaked outside right now. Thank you for your reply. :)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Wisteria, Kudzu, Ivy species, smilax, V. creeper are some possibilities.

• flora_uk

I would rule out English ivy because of the bark texture. I am pretty sure it is a Parthenocissus. Compare the trunk of my 20 year old P henryana. The watering can shows the scale. The leaves on the left belong to a different plant, Fatshedera x lizei. The wood on the right is a crabapple log.

{{gwi:173655}}

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You realize, flora, that I am not disagreeing with you, but simply giving our original poster some of her other options.

• flora_uk

Absolutely, rhizo_1. Just showing the similarities with Parthnocissus.