Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dontknow_gw

How do you dispose oil/gas mix?

dontknow
14 years ago

Hi,

I have about 1/2 gallon left over and want to properly dispose of this.

What do you recommend as the proper method of disposal?

Some people tell me to dump it on an out of the way place and let the snow we'll get dilute it - I am not remotely in favor of this approach.

Thanks

Comments (15)

• orangedotfever
    14 years ago

If you are talking standard 2 cycle mix for your lawn equipment, just pour it in your automobile's gas tank. It will never know the difference and the oil will actually help lubricate things that the ethanol in your gas has washed off.

• ericwi
    14 years ago

I agree with the comment above. Just make sure that there is enough auto gas in the car's tank to dilute the "oil/gas mix."
    Ten gallons should do it.

• yungman
    14 years ago

If you worry, dump half and fill up immediately, then when the tank is empty, do it again.

I always dump the mix in my car after one month and half old. I never dump 1/2 gallon at a time, but a quart, yes.

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

Any of the above, but the best answer is to run it in the 4-cycle mower, mixed with the regular gas. Automobile catalytic converters and oxygen sensors do not like oil, although at the high dilution we're talking about and only doing it once a year, it really won't hurt anything. I have run my 4-cycle mowers on straight 2-cycle mix (40:1) and the engine doesn't even smoke at all. As for combatting the effects of ethanol in gasoline, I highly recommend STA-BIL Marine stabilizer for Ethanol fuels. I use this in all my engines, vehicles and power equipment.

• yungman
    14 years ago

That is a good idea dumping into the mower. Particularly I just posted my crappy mower give a puff of blue smoke everytime I cold start. No matter how you look at it, it don't sound good!!! Mower it is.

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

I can't believe you had to ask.

• dontknow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies...

• evdpgh
    14 years ago

"Automobile catalytic converters and oxygen sensors do not like oil"

I vote for the mower. It's probably better to screw up a $300/400 mower, than a $13000/14000 vehicle.

• orangedotfever
    14 years ago

"It's probably better to screw up a $300/400 mower, than a $13000/14000 vehicle."

Who owns a $400 mower or $13,000 vehicle? LOL. At the ratios we're talking about, your vehicle will never see a difference.

• steve_p
    14 years ago

Not a bad idea to be concerned about the cat and O2 sensor but I don't think it will be a problem if you dilute it thoroughly as said. I have a high mileage (293k) car with cat and O2 sensor that burns a qt of oil every ~700 miles and no issues besides a bit of blue smoke at times. That works out to about a qt of oil burned for every 28 gallons gas.

• corvetteguy
    14 years ago

In PA we are still allowed burn barrels.

I use it as a starter to light my
    paper trash.

If you let it soak enough, when the match
    is tossed in it goes off like a cannon.

• evdpgh
    14 years ago

"In PA we are still allowed burn barrels."

You must live in a rural area. Opem burning has been outlawed in Allegheny County since the 70's.

• metal
    14 years ago

Borrow your neighbors mower and then make sure you "fill it up" before you return it ; ) (just joking)

• hummersteve
    7 years ago

So it the mower not a $300-400 jobby either. I will be mowing about tomorrow will find out.