Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Backyard Camping! Yay or No Way?

Emily H
11 years ago
Just read this ideabook on Backyard Camping, so I thought I would throw it out to you guys.

Do you do it? If so, any advice?

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/discover-the-easy-adventure-of-backyard-camping-stsetivw-vs~3235771?vm=article

photo credit: Pedlars http://bitly.com/NBnsgD

Comments (25)

• PRO
    SRM Architecture and Interiors
    11 years ago
    We love this! And here's our favorite tent, which is super-durable and made by a super-cool, local company in Portland, OR: http://beckelcanvas.com/products_view.php?products_id=10
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    I've done plenty of wilderness camping in my day, but prefer to sleep in a comfy bed without the company of biting insects.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    Who is watching the camp fire?
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I loved backyard camping as a kid, and my friends and I had backyard camping slumber parties frequently. But with a husband who prefers wilderness camping and a teenage son who prefers his own comfy bed, I can't say we do it often these days.
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We end up doing it about once a year in the backyard and the kids get SO into it. They love reading comic books by flashlights in the tent and seem to recover much faster than the grownups after sleeping on the ground. :)
  • PRO
    Chonka Interiors
    11 years ago
    We have had so much fun in the past camping out at our house. Not to mention how romantic it has been. Just my Husband and I. Our two Standard Poodles love to join us. We would sleep out on our viewing deck that overlooks the Bradshaw Mountains in Prescott AZ. The early sunrise and birdies chirpping would wake us all up.
  • Keerthi Naidu
    11 years ago
    Sad to say, I just can't do it. I need my bed!
  • Momof5x
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    No thank you, nice comfy bed for me! Those look like little creatures on those pillows, perhaps without the pillows!

I remember camping as a kid with a friend, it only lasted a couple of hours as soon as dark streaked the sky we ran indoors haha, we were too busy making sure no creepy crawlers were around before we even sat down ( let alone sleep), instead we just kept finding more and more-finding a worm under a stone did it for me!
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    I recently added a daybed to our gazebo....haven't quite gotten up the courage to sleep out there at night (great in the afternoon!). Reason? Afraid I will wake up to find a skunk or snake on the ground by the bed.
  • arbuss
    11 years ago
    YES! We live along the creek in Pennsylvania. Of course, my boys LOVE to sleep outside in the tent. It's not often, which makes it even more special. The best part.....cooking breakfast outside the next morning! Everyone should try it at least once!
  • Sheila Schmitz
    11 years ago
    Camping in the backyard is the best kind of camping. You can stuff a futon in the tent, and a nice bathroom and kitchen (read: hot showers and coffee in the morning) are just steps away.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    I wish camping in the backyard would satisfy my family. They are camping purists and want to be far away from civilization (and a clean bathroom). This makes me fish out of water because I just can't stand to be away from running water and a hot shower. Actually, I'm a total liability on a camping trip. I stay home on family weekend camping trips (2x/ per year) and the kids go with my husband for some great (daddy time). I think I could stomach camping in the backyard.
  • gigibaby
    11 years ago
    I live in Texas, given the fact that fire ants are every where they want to be,and the other bugs are where they want to be, indoors is better. Plus, the heat, it's been 100 plus degrees for the last few weeks, our summer here started in March !
  • poptart714
    11 years ago
    I have the best memories from backyard camping as a kid! A must for every family!
  • PRO
    Passacantando Architects AIA
    11 years ago
    This is great! Needs a decent sleeping mat on the ground. This looks similar to a Civil War Reenactment.
  • PRO
    Reico Kitchen & Bath
    11 years ago
    We camp anywhere we can find room for the tent - backyard, campsite, woods. It's all good!
  • PRO
    Dawson & Clinton
    9 years ago
    As a kid it made for some great memories. I remember the countless times my dad and grandpa snuck out trying to scare us in the middle of the night...in retrospect middle of the night was probably around 10:30 ;)
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    I couldn't vote either way because I have done the first while wishing I was doing the second.

@Charmean- How could you? It's all for one and one for all..."daddy time" indeed.Hah Hah
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    My disclosure statement. At my current age, i admit not doing any out door camping...but in my growing up years did tons of it....good memories
  • glschisler
    9 years ago
    We kids did it growing up. Mom yell at us to stop talking & go to sleep 'cause we were keeping the neighbors awake. This is all before a/c of course.:)
  • Dennis Taylor
    6 years ago

Actually it's an ideal place for camping if your backyard has enough space. My family camped right on my land, it would be a good trial for my kids before they go on the real camping trips in the wilderness. Sometimes, I just wonder whether it is legal to camp/live in an RV in our own land?

• Carson Abboth
    4 years ago

If your backyard is big enough to place a tent and a campfire, then that's a great idea. Everybody loves outdoor recreation. And if you have some issues, for example, with supplies, then you can just go home. Also, you can test hiking and camping gear like this before taking it on real trip.

• Lars
    3 years ago

I would consider it after an earthquake. Otherwise I don't see the point of camping next to a house. I think I camped out in the forest across the road from my parents' house in Texas when I was briefly a cub scout, but that was quite far away from the house, and so it does not count as back yard.

• Wobr Bobr
    3 years ago

I mean why not? If you don't have the possibility to anywhere else then backyard camping sounds nice too. It never about the place but more about the company that you go with. So I would recommend you to try it with friends or with your partner. Here is a link for you with 2 person tents https://hot-tent.com/collections/2-person-tents. It will help you stay warm on cold nights. Good luck with camping.