Shop Products
herbkid

advantages/disadvantages of peat pellets

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using peat pellets to start seeds?

• 17 years ago

The main advantage is reduced tranplant shock.

I find them a pain because they fall apart when wet, but dry out very easily. I also don't think they have enough mass to keep a plant going very long. When you do transplant them, you have to be extra careful about watering, because the peat dries out before the surrounding soil.

• 17 years ago

IMO They are terrible for plants but the upside is they are neat and clean for your home. They also don't weigh as much as a big bag of potting soil, so are easier to transport. Other than that I can't think of why anybody besides little kids would use them. (I imagine a 1st grade classroom passing out peat pellets and watching them expand, and then each little kid getting a couple or three marigold seeds to go in them. Then they take them home with a baby marigold growing for Mother's Day.)

I can't comment on the transplant shock other than to say I would use peat pots filled with potting mix for things like annual poppies that are prone to transplanting problems before I'd ever use peat pellets.

Lime

• 17 years ago

I use a mix. For annuals I go with the pellets, it's easier, quicker and cheaper. But I have had excellent luck with my tomatos in jiffy pellts this spring. I did it as a lets see what happens.

For perennials I go with potting mix (Miracle grow moisture control). Not that any of them have sprouted yet, but I am still holding out hope. I also start my squash, pumpins, eggplants and such in potting soils.

Happy Gardening!

• 17 years ago

I started zinnias and bachelor buttons in them this year. The bad side--they are a pain to keep watered and dry out fast. The good side--the roots come right through and I plopped those puppies in the ground where they are doing fabulously! I like the ease of use and the lack of transplant shock! They are worth it for me!

Amy

• 17 years ago

They are great for small annuals, like ice plant and lobelia etc. I use them for other annuals that don't like to have their roots disturbed like nasturtiums and zinnias, but I don't start them really early or they grow out of them fast and dry up fast.

• 17 years ago

I started seeds last year for the first time, used Jiffy pellets, and I thought it went really well. I had a high germination rate and no problems except a few things got leggy (I think the lights were too high above the trays) and I had mold on the lupines. But I was religious about watering them. It was very easy, and I washed the trays and am reusing this year.

EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars71 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz