cosmo_kramer

HFGH 10x12 - Tape on ends of panels

cosmo_kramer

I've noticed that some are taping or in some way sealing up the ends of the panels before installing. Just looking for some comments from both sides. Do those of you who didn't seal the panels wish you had after a comple of years? Did your panels get dirty, mildew, mold, or bugs on the inside?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)

Most products have user guides, and I've never seen a twinwall polycarb manual that failed to mention why you seal the ends.

Dan

• cosmo_kramer

Well take a look at the one for the 10x12 HFGH and that'll be one less smart-a comment that you have in your arsenal. Not everyone on this form is an expert, self proclaimed or otherwise. For many of us, this is our first experience with a greenhouse and we have no way of knowing this sort of thing without asking. Your comment is absolutely useless and serves no purpose other than to stoke your own pompous ego.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)

Most people ask a clarifying question or two before popping off on a rant on 'experts' and 'pompous ego' about someone they don't know. I see in retrospect I could have written the comment with 3-4 additional words for clarity, but I see hockey is back on...

Dan

• web4deb

on my 10x12 HFGH I took the time to tape all my ends. I bought a roll of the silver mylar tape that is used on duct work (NOT duct tape!) I cut the strips in half and then applied. then poked a hole in each one with a tack so the moisture wouldn't get trapped.

After a couple of seasons, it has held up fairly well and the moisture hasn't been a problem. A couple of areas have fallen off...and the bugs have found their way in ther.

Is it worth the time to do it? yup!

Here is a link that might be useful: My greenhouse

• ron62

As I was unpacking the panels from their carton I noticed a lot of small pieces of styrofoam up inside the channels. I had already decided to seal the ends based on the advice of others and after vacuuming the styrofoam out I sealed each end and punched tiny holes on the bottom edge.

• cosmo_kramer

Thanks for the tips, guys. I do already have some of the silver tape that someone left behind when our house was being built. I guess I'll give that a whirl. Web4deb, I saw your video on youtube a few months ago when I was initially doing research on this project. That's some pretty interesting stuff you have going on in there.

DC Metro's Top Kitchen and Bath Remodeler