bwright_gw

Seedlings and the 10x12 HFGH?

bwright

I have a 10x12 HFGH in its 2nd season. My question is what is a "best practice" for integrating the greenhouse into the seed propagation process. The GH is currently unheated but is setup with a 1500 watt heater and CControl thermostat to operate an end wall vent, fan and heater. I have reduced my selection of seedlings to petunia, impatien, tomato and pepper plants. I have started all of the above indoors in the past with great success in domed planting trays. Up to this point I can honestly say that the greenhous has been a nice getaway on those 20 degree days, but that is not why I built it. In this area the GH easily reaches 80 plus degress during a sunny day, (I have the shade cloth off at present) and the heater can maintain around 45 to 50 degrees at night during the late winter months.

• kudzu9

To have a high rate of success with seed propagation, it's a good idea to use heating mats so you can maintain a constant temperature. I use heating mats with a thermostat for all of my seeds, and generally maintain a temperature of about 80F. The seeds go in a propagation tray with a dome to keep in heat and moisture. With this setup, you can propagate seeds at any time of the year without the expense of keeping the whole greenhouse heated.

• web4deb

I usually plant my seeds in my house so I can keep an eye on my "babies"! Once they get going, I thin them out and move to the greenhouse.

• greenhouser2

I've had the best success with seeds germinating them in my sunroom and moving them to the GHs soon afterward. I keep the heat set at 60F. Less than that and the warmth lovers don't do well. Those are the eggplants, peppers and tomatoes.

• pushindirt

I've found that my seedlings like the same environment as I do. I start them in the house and then move them to the GH once established. That way I don't have to burn electricity. Heck I have to heat the house, might as well take advantage of it.
    Dave