gardnergal

rear wall reinforcement for 10x12 hfgh

gardnergal

ok, I've seen mods using EMT or suggesting aluminium bracing for the back of the HFGH. No one has mentioned what I think would be the best solution to beef it up and be pracical at the same time: if I plan to install a window or shutter in that wall, why not make the support for the add-on do double duty and have it reinforce as well? The 20-inch shutter I have will require more support than the existing materials. Why not install a hefty ledge to bolt it to? I haven't seen this idea posted yet, so maybe I'm overlooking something? Thanks for any input you can offer.

Ann

Comment (1)

• troykd

I added an exhaust fan tonight and bolted it in the peak on the rear wall. It did add some stability but I wouldn't want to depend on that alone. I'd stick with spending the $8 on materials to do the reinforcements on the rear wall.

After spending the effort and time on building this, I'll reinforce the heck out of it.

The weakest links in the kit are the doors, windows and rear wall. I'm pretty confident the rear wall will hold up to high winds. The windows will get wired down in high winds. The doors I'm still pondering.