jimmydo2_gw

Fastenal and 10x12 HFGH

jimmydo2

Hiyal, Maybe I am being dense here, but I am scanning through the Fastenal site, trying to find the bolts "6mm X 1 1/2". as well as Stainless steel bolts to replace the aluminum ones from the Kit, but I am so lost on the Fastenal site. I have never seen so many types of bolts before. I may not have been the head of my Class in Shop Class, and well Shop class was 26 years ago. More recently I have worked as an Airframe and Powerplant Apprentice, I learned about some unusual Fasteners, (Clecos (sp)) were some of my favorites.

But this list was overwhelming...

Barrel, Bucket Tooth, Cap Screws, Carriage, Coil, Connector, Elevator, End Cap, Euro, Eye, Ferry Cap Screws, Flange, Hanger, Heavy Hex, Hex, Hex Lag Screws, J-Bolts, Penta Bolts, Plow, Shaker Screen, Sidewalk, Slotted Bolts, Square Head, Step, Structural Bolts, Tap, Tension Control, Toggle, Turned Eye, U-Bolt Plates, U-Bolts, Wheel Bolts

Most do not have pictures, all I want is a Regular bolt, LOL this is absurd.

• gardenerwantabe

Now you know why I went to my local Fastenal store to get what I needed. Not only do they have a big selection but the price is much less than buying from the box stores like LOWE'S and Home depot
    I have never been to their web site before but I have bought several bolts from them, sometimes it was something that I could not have got anywhere else..
    Have you started building your GH yet.

• jimmydo2

As I respond to my own post...
    Um, maybe I am looking at the wrong thing.
    100 m6 4mm Stainless Steel bolts would run me close to 45 bucks.
    To replace all the bolts with stainless steel would run me over $100, and that would not include the nuts

What about using Zinc plated, zinc, or galvanized.

I guess I need to open the box, to find out if I am replacing carriage bolts, hex bolts, flange or some other bolt.
    I do not suppose the bolt package is some place easily accessable, where I could just open one end and find the bolts?

will 1/4 inch bolts fit the holes for the 6mm bolts?

are all the bolt heads the same size? of course if they are carriage bolts that this is meaningless

What is the allen wrench for?

Any help from someone who has assembled one of these would be greatly appreciated

• jimmydo2

Looks like our replies crossed in the ethernet.

I haven't started building yet (I am gonna have to build it outside, and it has been like 40 degrees, blowing 30 mph, and forecast for snow), also I am still hobling , but My nephew is going to dig the hole for the foundation. To save money, I may sandwich the base between two 2x4's since 4x4's cost so much.

Unfortunately my nearest fastenal distribution center is 90 miles away :(

• gardenerwantabe

The bolts that you need are hex head. Someone said they replaced all of the aluminum bolts because they broke but he also said that he was using a impact tool to install them. I used the bolts that came with the GH and used a 18 volt cordless drill to run the nuts down but set the slip clutch so that it didn't over tighten them.
    Actually all you need is about 30 bolts to replace the ones that go through the horizontal bracing. You can use 6MM or 1/4 inch I bought 6MM that way I could use the nuts that they sent with it. Cost about $15.00 for the stainless. If you use cad plated on the aluminum you may get a electrolyze action between the metals.

• jimmydo2

OH, ok, that is a lot better, I thought I read somewhere on this site, that it was 100 1.5 inch bolts

• gardenerwantabe

Part# 66 is the longer bolt if my memory is correct and you are to use them to secure the horizontal bracing but they are to short. Maybe your's will be different but that is what I found on mine.