Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlandroff

Greenhouse/shed-Thinking Outside Smart Greenhouse

jlandroff
19 years ago

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has heard of this greenhouse. They are selling it at Sam's Club (www.samsclub.com). Information on it is available at www.thinking-outside.com.

I'm interested in it as a greenhouse of course, but also for other purposes (i.e. getting the other garden related stuff out of the garage).

Anyway, if someone has heard of this, or has any input on it, I would certainly appreciate it.

Comments (37)

• oranjelo
    19 years ago

i have seen this one at our locl sams for the money you will be further ahead with the harbor freight g. house

• cactusfreak
    19 years ago

It has too many air leaks to be used as a real greenhouse.
    In your zone heat would go out faster than you get put it in.
    Makes a cute storage/potting shed though.

• willow22552
    19 years ago

I have seen it at Sams too. I agree that if you bought a HFGH you would have more greenhouse and bought a utility shed for your stuff, together it would be less money and far better for your usage.The one at Sam's was indeed cute but for a greenhouse it was a want a be.

• dawgtired
    19 years ago

We bought this. It wasn't too bad for 2 of us to put together; we had to get help from a neighbor to put the roof on due to the 10.5 ft roof peak. I wanted the HFGH but hubby overruled me - he wanted a place to park the riding lawnmower. I am hoping to come up with a way to block the vents for winter and see if I can keep it warm wnough during the winter for maybe some tomatoes or something. I am a real newbie at this!

• hairmetal4ever
    19 years ago

Very doubtful you would be able to warm it that much, unless you want to spend $400 a month to heat it.

• steve421
    19 years ago

I saw that also...kind of thought it was pricey....and it didnt seem to allow much sun to get through....have to admit I do like the planting tables that came with it...I got mine at costco...a small 4x6 polycarbonate ....wanted to start small..and am very pleased with it...I paid like around $250 for it...kind of wished I went a little larger though lol

Steve

• timberlane
    19 years ago

Hi, I got one for christmas last year and love it. I really wanted something that I could get out in and repot my houseplants and store things for winter. I started seeds about a month ago and have tons of little seedlings starting. I just love it! I can get out in it and use the sinks and it has tons of storagae on all the little racks you assemble. Here's some pics... all the little containers placed everywhere are full of seedlings now. I also placed 2 grow lights that I keep on and off at night if the temps are going to be below 30's.

{{gwi:291676}}

{{gwi:291678}}

• milwdave
    18 years ago

I had considered this unit as well from our local Sam's Club but being in zone 5....just felt it wouldn't quite cut our winters.

Please post the results here, good or bad, for others as it might be a viable alternative for some. Can't wait to see how it works for ya.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Milwaukee

• farmecologist
    17 years ago

Did any of you try this greenhouse out? I am considering one.

• manicmndy
    17 years ago

We bought one from Sam's and set it up last fall. It is a neat looking little shed and makes a good little work shop for transplanting,potting plants and storing garden tools. But as a greenhouse it seems somewhat liking. Sam's also sells a little Rion 8 half X 12 half foot greenhouse that is (I think) a better greenhouse. But if you put both together and they make a great combination.

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse

• farmecologist
    17 years ago

Thanks for the reply! We went ahead and bought one. Did it hold up to your winter ok? It does seem very sturdy and durable, especially when compared to other poly sheds. Plus, it matches our house colors ;-). However, I still have a few reservations about the winter.

As for greenhouse use, I did read above that the shed may need a little help with sealing/insulation. From the post above, if the shed is properly sealed, etc... it seems like it could possibly be used as a 'hobbyist' greenhouse ( a couple of tomato plants, etc..).

Has anyone used this shed as a mini greenhouse?

• manicmndy
    17 years ago

Mine made it through the winter without any trouble. But I didn't try to heat it. We started some plants in it this spring and it work out nice for that. Make sure you use the metal washer on the screws that go on the outside window braces. Even with the washers, mine still broke out. I checked the one that was set up at Sam's and it had also pulled out. I called the 800# for Thinking Outside and they sent me two new braces. But they are a lot of work to replace.
    Good luck

• dawgtired
    17 years ago

Ours held up great during the winter but I did not get to try out anything in it as far as keeping plants in it. Hubby took it ovr and had 2 lawnmowers parked in it, then he put his chainsaw on one of the potting tables where it promptly leaked oil and gas all over the table and floor. I have given up.

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago

dawgtired,

Do not give up!

It is a multi-use structure. Mine grows plants from March to May. Is to hot to do anything in there June to September, at the moment the storm windows are in there getting repaired and painted. When that is done I will drag a few pepper plants in there so I get red bell peppers. After that it is a place I go sit in on a very cold sunny day.

My greenhouse is just somewhere different to go without leaving home.

• chrism1965
    16 years ago

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE COST OF THE THINKING-OUTSIDE GREENHOUSE.WE BOUGHT A HOUSE WITH ONE,BUT IT WAS DAMAGED IN A STORM.I NEED TO FILE AN INSURANCE CLAIM ,BUT THINKING -OUTSIDE DOES NOT RESPOND TO CALLS OR E-MAIL. SAMS CLUB NO LONGER CARRYS THEM. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANYONES HELP IN THIS MATTER.

• chris_in_iowa
    16 years ago

Hi chrism1965,

I found a post at

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/480789/

""They sell them at Sam's for $1628.""

File a claim for about $1200. That is if it is totally wrecked.

*laughing* however if the insurance will only pay the repair costs, then hit them with about $5000 and tell them "the parts are going to be really expensive! It is a collectors item! They don't make them anymore!"

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: File a claim for say $1200,

• xoidauden65_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

need parts for thinking-out side /smart shed

• dragonflamethrower
    12 years ago

i need parts for the thinking outside shed as well does anyone know a number i can call or anything the website is not available anymore

• mealgirl1_msn_com
    12 years ago

Please please please. I need the instructions to this badly. Can anyone help. We bought one and lost the instructions and now we have tried everything to locate them. Help.

• pthomson51
    12 years ago

Any one interested in selling greenhouse for parts.

• pthomson51
    12 years ago

Will sell parts of greenhouse, if you need replacement parts send an email with parts needed. Pthomson51@gmail.com

• greg567
    12 years ago

I have one of these greenhouses that I am looking to sell. It is in good condition. I am located in Iowa and I can email pics if interested. Troymillian@msn.com

• breana14
    11 years ago

ghjgjgl

This post was edited by breana14 on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 11:12

• Jessi143
    10 years ago

My husband had bought one of these offline and when it was delivered pieces were damaged and some missing. Also no instructions. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks
    e'mail; jessi0883@yahoo.com

• Rose-alie
    10 years ago

Is anyone still selling there smart gardeners workshop parts? I need 5 easy nuts and about a dozen easy bolts. Would love to have a source in case of future needs too. If anyone still needs the manual I have one

• Deb Shimota
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I found mine on craislist last year. Mine does not have the additional wall with windows so we boarded it up. Does anyone interested in their's to sell?

• lolcarol
    9 years ago

i have one for sell my email lolcarol@aol.com

• Penny Clancy
    8 years ago

I have a manual ... how do I attached a pdf.

• Angeline Smith
    7 years ago

Can you send me the manual for the thinking outside greenhouse please

• beth cox
    7 years ago

I have one with some windows broke out. I also found the link to the manual. The company has gone out of business. If anyone has a receipt or price tag that was on this please send me a picture. I can not find the price that was paid for this. Here is the link to get to the manual... http://www.walterreeves.com/how-to-archive/greenhouse-assembly-manual-thinking-outside-model-44115/

• Angela Carrera
    6 years ago

I bought a 6 X 8 one about 12 years ago. still standing here at the JerseyShore, even thru Sandy. BUT one of my windows blew out. we tried taping, caulking, to no avail. it's now sitting in its place on top on the greenhouse but with a stiff wind it'll blow off again. I don't want to spend the money to replace it, but I would take any suggestions as to what else I can use up there. you really can't screw or hammer since the parts are all plastic. ugh. also yes, it gets over 100 in there on any given summer day. so I go in there basically in the spring and fall. I have an outside cat that uses it for shelter. I can winter over some perenials in pots and start seeds in the spring. also looking to make it cuter in there. that's all I got. thanks!!

• Berit Sorensen
    6 years ago

Never seen it before. But got a greenhouse from https://www.hobbydrivhuse.dk/ and the quality is the best I have ever seen of greenhouses. They produce from Norway i think.

• Mark Scott
    6 years ago

I'm looking for the replacement Potting Table Top for the Thinking Outside Greenhouse, Part No. 44121. Let me know if anyone has that part they'd like to sell. My email is theprisoner6cl@yahoo.com. Thanks, Mark

• HU-899020239
    3 years ago

I am getting a used Thinking Outside Greenhouse from a friend, but the rear roof is cracked. Does anyone have that part available for sell?

• David Fleming
    8 months ago

I have just taken mine down, let me know if anyone still needs parts.

• Keith Grill
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

David... I need some easy bolts!!!! My unit got smacked by a falling tree and some of the bolts broke... kgrill@comcast.net ... 318-572-3196 ... Luckily I already had an extra side panel.