Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovjen

Has anyone ever moved their greenhouse?

lovjen
17 years ago

I am new to this forum, but I am at my wits end looking for information on how to move my greenhouse to my new home. I am only moving about 2 miles and I do not want to leave my beloved greenhouse behind. I have a 7'9 x 15 Sunglo (1000E model). For the unfamiliar, it is 6mm twinwall acrylic in an aluminum frame. I have it on a 4 x 4 treated lumber base. The frame is pop riveted together.

I would appreciate any tips, tricks and advice. Thank you all so much.

Comments (16)

• bangell
    17 years ago

Mobile homes are mobile can you lift it and put some wheels under (trailer)bangell

• gardenerwantabe
    17 years ago

I built my 10x12 aluminum frame GH in my garage and used treated 4x4 timbers for the foundation.
    I bought two 3x8 wheel and tire at TSC for $8.00 and used 7/8"x7" bolt and bolted the wheel on the back and lifted the front with my little JD tractor it has a 3 point hitch with hydraulic lift on it. I drove it to the location that I want it at.
    Since your is only 8 feet wide I would just bolt wheels on the back and use a small tractor and drive it the two miles.
    It is easy to do. No way that I would take it apart especially if it is ribbitted together.

• bihai
    17 years ago

I took my Juliana Premium apart and sold it, and the new owner put it back together. It can be done!

• marquisella
    17 years ago

I bought a glass gh, 8 x 12 ft. Aluminum frame.
    We took off the glass panels, which was the hardest part because the owner had caulked them in! Broke about 1/4th of them.

4 People picked up the frame and put in on a flatbed straped down with nylon ties. Moved it 4 miles to our house.
    Made a new pressure treated foundation, picked it up off the flatbed, walked it to the foundation.

Taking off the panels was the hardest & most time consuming part of it.

Good Luck
    Marquis

• blondboy47
    17 years ago

Pop rivets are usally easy to remove. Just use the proper sized drill bit and drill out the center. The rivets should just pop off.

Then, when you go to reassemble it, you could re-rivet it together again. If you don't have a rivet gun, you should be able to get one cheap at WalMart or other hardware type store.

I'd also recommend using Aluminum rivets instead of steal. They are very strong and won't rust.

Hope that helps.

Oh, by the way, why not take some before, during, the travelling and then the final re-setup? ):D

• gardenerwantabe
    17 years ago

I don't understand the logic in disassembling it and then putting it back together again.
    I guess some people just like doing things the hard way.
    That GH won't weigh more than 200 lbs 4 men could lift it onto a flat bed trailer or some small wheels on the back you you could tow it.
    I used the wheel method to move mine because where I had to put it in my lawn I did not have room for a truck and
    trailer so I used my little John Deere to carry the front.

• jackier123
    17 years ago

Call a wrecker company with a Rollback...thats a wrecker that has a flat bed for the car to ride on...Move it just like they do the yard barns that every one buys.

• gardenerwantabe
    17 years ago

Posted by jackier123 Z7-TN (My Page) on Mon, Mar 19, 07 at 18:43

Call a wrecker company with a Rollback...thats a wrecker that has a flat bed for the car to ride on...Move it just like they do the yard barns that every one buys
    ------------------------------------------------------

That will more likely result in having to take down power lines or phone lines that cross the road.

That would be very expensive you could actually buy a low flatbed trailer for what it would cost to have the lines taken down.
    If the greenhouse is only ten feet tall to the roof peak
    it will work lines over the road must be 13-6 minimum.

• lovjen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the great advice. I am going to brace the greenhouse, lift it with the foundation timbers intact, and place it on a trailer. I will post photos of the whole process later. The big move is planned for the first week of April.

• skh1
    16 years ago

I'd like to ask more about your greenhouse and hope the move went well. It is the same model I am thinking about to add to a covered porch. I will enclose the sides of the existing porch, then add this attached greenhouse out to the south. There will be some work space under the old porch roof, with a door coming from the house. There is also a picture window looking into it that happens to be from my bedroom. It will be easy to allow for heat exchange between the house at times with the door and window.
    I've thought about this for some time but haven't gotten around to doing it. Would appreciate any input about the situation and also opinion on the Sunglo or other attached models. Would really like to see a picture of your greenhouse if possible.

• rusty5
    16 years ago

Help! I have 15 days to disassemble a large glass/alum greenhouse. The glass is put in with putty or something. What's the best way to get the glass out with the least breakage. Thanks!

• rusty5
    16 years ago

Help! I have 15 days to disassemble a large glass/alum greenhouse. The glass is put in with putty or something. What's the best way to get the glass out with the least breakage. Thanks!

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    4 years ago

Lovjen, did you ever move your greenhouse? If so, how did you do it?

I need to move mine about 30 miles on highway. One shed mover said he tried moving a greenhouse but the panels blew out. Is there any way of preventing that from happening?

• Campanula UK Z8
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Any moving requires removing the glass at a minimum. In the UK, the glass is usually held in with removable clips. Sometimes, a strip of foam is an additional sealant...but should peel off with relative ease. The actual frame can be easily lifted without glazing...but attempting to do so with glazing panels in is a recipe for A LOT of breakage.

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    4 years ago

I just sold my greenhouse because we are moving. I decided that it cost way too much for the move and installing the electrical supply. The buyer disassembled it into panels: wall, and roof and hauled it away in a trailer.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus