gardnergal

hfgh 10x12: pictures from HF

gardnergal

I am finally assembling my hfgh, and have benefitted from all the posts from those of you who have already done so (especially Oray, Laserfan and Gardenerwantabe). Unfortunately the manual and posts have been revised over the past year or so, as the product has evolved, and the instructions are not always applicable to the current parts assembly.

For instance, I have read Laserfan's and Oray's posts about assembly of the back braces, #31, and their connections to the connector #48 and the corner brackets #49. The manual says to put a long bolt in "the center" (wherever that is) and a strut bolt on each end (which I thought was at Corner stud #7, but the next step has me attaching to the corner bracket #49 with a long bolt instead...)

In desperation I called HF and they offered to send me photographs of major assembly stages, which their personnel have generated. Presumably they are from a successfully standing GH. There are 25 pictures which, although not detailed enough to show the type/length of bolts used, does help to clarify the assembly. If I was savvy enough I would post them here for all to see, but I am a Bear of Little Brain when it comes to greenhouse kit assembly as well as posting photographs.

They were not able to explain about the back brace #31 assembly, or how many bolts actually go into the stud slots (Ray indicated 4 long bolts should go in slots at 3 center side studs and 2 center back studs, contrary to the manual instructions. The 3 center roof studs (both sides) get 2. But he also says that 2 short bolts will be used to attach the studs at top and bottom (not 2 long ones which I installed), with the 4 long ones to be used later. I am still trying to figure this out.

Naturally I picked the windiest day on record to start assembly (alone). It's been slow going.

• troykd

I have pictures of the #31 back brace assembly on my hfgh notebook online. Available below.

Don't forget to add extra bolts for the reinforcment by 3/4" EMT. I did and had to go back and do it. Not fun.

I'll check the # of bolts in the studs when I get home and post it.

Good luck
    Troy

Here is a link that might be useful: Building our HFGH

• gardnergal

Thanks for the "heads-up", Troy. But I read it too late...am still trying to get a handle on the EMT vs. other types of reinforcements, ie., aluminium. Guess that would also need bolts. I already had to take the back ones apart because I forgot one bolt. This has been an excersise in patience!
    Ann

• gardnergal

Troy, I've looked at your posting and pictures, but need clarification. Where can I find a description of the EMT configuration you used? What lengths does it come in? Do you need to flatten the ends in order to bolt them, or can you just bolt through the cross section? It seems that you braced both walls, the back, and (2) across the top from ceiling plate to ceiling plate; is this correct? Thanks for the help in advance,
    Ann

• bluepine

The 3/4" EMT ends can easily be flattened with a hammer. Any of your hardware/Home Depot/Lowes/etc. should have it in electrical. It usually comes in 10 foot lengths and can be cut with a hacksaw to desired length. Drill hole in flattened area to put bolt through.

• troykd

I used 10' lengths from Home Depot. I didn't flatten the ends, I just bolted it in. At the corners near the rear wall I used 90 degree bends (sold at home depot) with EMT connectors. This gave me a solid U shaped reinforcement. For the overhead cross braces, I did flatten the ends and bolt them to the existing EMT.

I used long 6mm bolts from Fastenal for all of the attachment. They slide into the grooves of the vertical T braces.

A hacksaw goes through it really quick. You don't need any special cutter. Just get a blade for cutting metal.

• gardnergal

Thanks Bluepine and Troy. I have been considering adding a 10-foot aluminium flat or angle piece across the back in order to mount my shutter and provide stability as well. In another post Troy indicates this may not be strong enough. It seems like your configuration is better; rather than a U shape, you end up with a rectangle after the crossbar is added.
    Ann