Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abelloesq

Garage, Blocks and Palms.. OH MY !

abelloesq
11 years ago
I recently discovered this website and love it. Unfortunately, while have have poured over 100s of pics and discussions, I have been unable to find anything I can use to help me and so, I hereby attempt my first posting in hope of creative thoughts from its creative readers. I just recently purchased this '68 ranch style dulldrum in Las Vegas. As you can see, the palms and garage dominate the exterior, with entry to the front door being a walk up the driveway and a couple of turns. How do I get any curb appeal from this!? I have thought about tearing out the palms but alot of people think they add character. It has been suggested by some kind folks on gardenweb that I should do something with the garage door to make it more interesting and maybe add some kind of arbor or structure at the opening between the garage and blockwall leading (eventually) to the front door. Also, the front door should perhaps be replaced as it is outside the style (whatever that is!) of this house. Landscape wise, I lean toward the english cottage effect and have a veggies, fruit and flowers growing in the back side yard. I love eclectic styles BUT palms and cottage...possible ?? I am attaching pics of the outside and the door as well as the massive 2-sided fireplace inside...which is itself creating another total design dilemma for me inside. Any design ideas in or out would be very much appreciated!!

Comments (62)

• abelloesq
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You don't suppose that gate is original to 1968 do you?
  • abelloesq
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hey can anyone tell me how in the world it came to be that there are 2 Threads for this going?? I was asking for more photos and knew I had put a bunch on yesterday and then discovered they were not there. BUT, when I searched "Palms" under "Discussions" I see the photos in this one and that there are 2 entries with the same title and different comments and photos in each!!! Anyone know if these threads can be combined?
  • ikwewe
    11 years ago
    abelloesq, in 1968 they might have put that gateway if they had security concerns. If not, I believe it would have been more open. We have mid century houses around here with courtyard entries and if there is a gate, it is wrought iron. Usually no gate, but they might have been removed.
  • ikwewe
    11 years ago
    I like your actual door and side light.
  • sunsarchitect
    11 years ago
    To be honest, I think I would remove all of the plant material in the front yard. Four words for you, Sonoran Desert Plant Palette. I realize that you get about half the amount of rain in Vegas as we get here in Phx, but if you are looking for a cottage home feel to it then you are going to want plants from the Sonoran Desert that have a little more color and texture, while still being able to hold up to the extreme climate conditions.

But if you are not wanting to do the cottage style and work with a style that is a little more relative to the architectural style of the house I would recommend doing a search/study of houses in the Palm Springs area. It is a similar climate but much of the style of the city's architectural style is mid-1900's. Hope that helps a little bit, but remember this, most of the pictures on this website along with many others that come from American homes will not match what your house will need because the Southwestern climate is completely different then much of the rest of the country. Best of Luck to you!
  • abelloesq
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions, Sunsarchitect, Is there a name for the particular landscaping style your would say is more relative to the architectural style of the house? I will definitely be surfing the net for the next couple days looking at palm springs homes for inspiration -good idea.
  • bonnielynn75
    11 years ago
    Just to throw in my 2 cents, there is an English Riveria. On my first visit there, I was shocked to find Palm trees! for some inspiration you can google Torquay/Devon. English country & palms together! http://www.englishriviera.co.uk/places-to-visit
  • lesliemahler
    11 years ago
    What about British Colonial style? During the time of the empire the Brits in hot lands created a fusion of cottages from home with hot, palmy climates. You could google it - lots of info. Good luck!
  • chaslin
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The former owners obviously bought the cute little palms and oleander in 1 gallon containers and they looked great...for a while-until they grew into their natural size. You will LOVE the added light when the window is free from the oleander! As you do when buying a puppy, always check to see how big it will eventually get. Personally, I'd take them all out--they were not the right plants in the first place. You might also consider viewing mid-century modern as an alternative to cottage--looks like your house has clean, simple lines and you might be able to incorporate a wonderful front patio that goes off from the garage.
  • beverlyalbers
    11 years ago
    Having been raised in sunny CA, and just moved from there to SW Florida (both also hot places), I think I can give some insight into what exists at your place. Those majestic palms were one planted as smaller trees for privacy because they aren't so expensive in a hot, arid place like Vegas. They've outgrown their usefulness. Because they are so large you should be able to find someone to remove them at virtually no cost if they take them to resell them. Be sure to explore that instead of just "removal". As for that screened in front door? Previous owners probably felt insecure (also reason for that stone wall around the front yard) but wanted to open the front door for blow through ventilation. Ditch that thing and let the light into your space, as well as access to your guests. Maybe some glass in the door? I completely agree on the Sonoran desert landscaping. It will be best for the climate, and can work with the stonework out front. As for the garage - I'd suggest just removing the stonework along the driveway which will open the whole space up and remove that hard visual line to the garage thereby defusing it. By the way, I had a fireplace with stone like that before and I think you've picked a great neutral wall color. You'd probably like it better if you balanced with some level of green (sage?). Golds like that are kind of hard to take in volume sometimes. The kitchen in a house we just sold was very small. Our architect guided us to a granite cutters remnant section where we found the perfect low cost solution slab. No cost for the granite, only the cutting since the slab was leftover from another job and previously paid for! Good luck with your projects!
  • beverlyalbers
    11 years ago
    Sorry, reflected on the pictures... Your front door has glass and is lovely. I just couldn't visually get past the "cage". A good handyman should e able to help you there, and see if you can't get some scrap metal value out of it. : )
  • PRO
    Alan Kosa Interiors
    11 years ago
    I suggest remove the cluster of palm tress on the left side of your home allowing to open up the space. Plant lower foliage such as flowering shrubs on the left side. Landscape the new beds from high-medium-low as in a traditional English Cottage style. Replace the garage door in a carriage door style, add new outdoor lanterns and pick a paint palette of English Cottage colors from Benjamin Moore. It will transform it from Mid Century in the look you are trying to achieve. The palms looked crowded and over power the ranch style home in scale. Hope this helps.
  • M White
    11 years ago
    A recent episode of Curb Appeal on HGTV redid a yard and house very similar to yours. The results were outstanding. Check it out. Warms colors were added to the front of the house and various heat resistant plants were added to the yard.
  • Susan Lawson
    11 years ago
    I usually like fenced-in front yards, but not this one. I'd leave the palms for now and get rid of that brick wall. It really closes down the space.
  • betsyweisberg
    11 years ago
    Tomte Stuga · More Info

At first look, this home would be a great modern redo with desert plants.
    But, If cottage is where you want to go I would put a modern twist on it.
  • sheilabou
    11 years ago
    WOW! The palms are way too big, in my opinion - if that's worth anything. It's easy for the neighbors to like them cause it's not their house. At least remove most of them close to the driveway and in the middle of the yard. There is a tall lampost to the left so the two or three palms there could be left up to both anchor the side of your lot and to balance out that long thin lamppost. That overgrown oleander bush needs a major haircut. If it survives the trim, I think you will like the look. Personally, I would take it right out and fix the soil and plan a garden look that will not grow so big that it hides your front windows and house. People will see more of the house, and that will take away from the garage door's dominance. I just can't see carriage doors on this style of house. It is what it is so stay true to the original design and get your garden feel with your landscaping. I have taken down large trees before both in my front yard and in front of our windows. Very refreshing, great curb appeal and a good thing. If you have the cash, and it's a priority, you can get garage doors with little windows across the top. I would go with plain square ones. Alternately, you can paint the house using many of the tips and tricks to make the house stand out and the garage doors diminish.

You might want to plant some trees that will grow only to just a little higher than your roof and about half as tall as the palms. I would get a landscaper to design where to place them. If you can't afford that, do research on the Internet. I would place such trees to the right side a bit to kind of bridge the bare palm trunks and let the eye move naturally from the house, to tree, to palms.

Your fireplace looks pretty cool and probably your walls need a "heavy" colour on a few walls to anchor it as you have done. You seem unsure. If you dont like it, get it covered with sheet rock for a lighter and more modern look. Not sure if it would be too hard to take down.

Love the potential your front courtyard has. Iron gates or no gates but planters, water feature, inviting seating. Nice. You could get your garden feeling here. Front door looks new and inviting. I don't see anything wrong with it cause it's set back and not right out front. Plus it costs a lot to put in a new front entry.

Good luck.
  • sunsarchitect
    11 years ago
    Abelloesq, you asked me if there was a name for the design style that I was referring to, the best thing I could come up with that would give good Google Image response is, Mid-century Modern Landscaping Design. Two guys that you might be able to do a little bit of research on that were influential at this time are: Dan Kiley, and Garrett Eckbo, both Landscape Architects around mid century. I would have to agree with Beverly's comment about possibly contacting a nursery about the palms and see if they would be interested in taking them off your hands. Developers often want plant material that already has size so they don't have to wait 10 years for it to grow. Best of luck to you!
  • suzihouselover
    11 years ago
    While the palms are gorgeous, they do overwhelm your house. I would take them all out except 3 furthest left in the picture. I would replace the others with a low growing hedge and keep it clipped low. I also like the idea of carriage style garage doors.
  • jasen54
    11 years ago
    Mature palms sell for MANY thousands of dollars. Your palms are jarringly out of scale with your home and need to be removed, as does the oleander by your front window. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't have the palms removed at no cost to you, and you might even get some dollars out of the deal, too. Use the cash to remove that "cage" near your front entry.

English cottage garden style really doesn't suit your climate and your water usage would be enormous. There are plenty of flowering plants that tolerate hot and dry climates and the geometry of succulent plants is gorgeous and would complement the architecture and existing hardscape of your property. Search houzz for some gorgeous drought-tolerant planting ideas with photos. There are dozens of them on this site!

I'd keep the butterscotch color on the window wall, but take it several tints lighter for the other wall(s). That much deep warm color is a bit much in a really hot climate. You have a lot of potential for a really lovely home and property. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    11 years ago
    On the fireplace: take it back to neutral. Run spider lath over the stone bed coat it with white thin set the add a fine mesh fiber glass mat for the 2nd coat and finish with a mix of white cement, plasticizer, and quartz sand for finish. If you want to add some thing less white add water based paint to the water before you mix in the cement and sand.
  • furrytoes
    11 years ago
    Try the Las Vegas water district website for plant ideas/water usage: http://www.lvvwd.com/ Local water departments are good resources for ideas. Keep in mind water rationing times when you choose plants.
    Your inner front door courtyard would be a good place for a modified cottage garden and a water feature -- it would cool the area and give it an oasis feel. Please remove the outer door -- it looks like a cheap add-on. If you want to have the evening cross-ventilation of an open door, invest in a very pretty security screen door.
    And I agree that the palm trees closest to the driveway should be removed. You might want to consider a deciduous tree to give you summer shade if the front yard faces the west or south.
    A pathway leading from the front sidewalk to your front door would be nice, but it may be too expensive for you right now; something to keep in mind anyway.
  • abelloesq
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Lots of great thoughtful (and diversified) suggestions, thank you all so much! What I know for sure at this point is the first thing to go is the enclosure to the front door- I trimmed down the overgrown oleandar yesterday to about 1/2 way down the windows and am going to let it adjust to the shock or whatever before cutting it down even lower. I seems oleanders are next to impossible to get rid of. My son has one in his back yard and thought he had gotten it completely out last year and it is already back and a couple feet high! Will be calling around tomorrow to check out the options regarding the removal of at least some of the palms. I was leaning toward the idea of putting an opening somewhere in the block wall for a more open and inviting access to the front door but then came beverlyalbers' idea of removing the portion of the wall running along the driveway side. Right now, you can't put 2 cars in the driveway and still open the doors to get in them and this could solve that problem. Maybe I could curve the drive out slightly toward the yard area and let it flow into the walkway up to the door? If so, I wonder if it would still be a good idea to put an opening in the wall running along the sidewalk? I don't think removal of the entire wall is the way to go bc the yard is elevated several feet above the sidewalk level so it seems to me this would have to result in a very sloped yard. Going to spend a lazy Sunday surfing the net using all the above suggested spots for inspiration!
  • abelloesq
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestion and thank goodness for the internet-I don't think I have seen automated french door styled garage doors and will goggle away in exploration of this interesting idea.
  • yogapaws
    11 years ago
    you could probably sell those palm trees... this is what I hear from my friends living in California desert- mature palms are in demand.
  • Linda Peterson
    11 years ago
    Don't touch those gorgeous palms, that is the reason I would buy that house! The bushes need cutting way down or replacing. Get a plan from a Landscape architect and it will be wonderful.IF there is a sick palm, remove it, but otherwise, you have TREASURES in your yard!! I like the idea of the double entry, courtyard design.
  • Meghan Collins
    11 years ago
    Not having read many other comments, my opinion is that paint does wonders. Painting the house would take you far. I would cut back the shrub in the front yard and I would create a massive succulent garden in the front yard. Agave and cactus and other drought resistant plants. This way you can have curb appeal and preserve your water bill - especially if you are trying to save your wallet. I would also remove the front gate/iron door. It looks so institutional. I would feel like I was in jail. If you can't afford to change the garage door - painting it, is my suggestion.
  • Sigrid
    11 years ago
    The English cottage style was developed in a country noted for its rain, which is something Vegas is noted for lacking. What it is is lots of bright flowers. I think when you get plants that will grow in your landscape, you might get the bright flowers, but you won't get the green, green, green that comes from rain, rain, and oh, no, more rain.

You can probably find plenty of bulbs that will give you a fantastic show during your rainiest period and disappear in the summer heat. So, a spring cottage garden might be possible. You can grow vines up your palms, like Bougainvillea.

I'm a much better resource for planting where the chief issue is surviving a long, cold winter than desert heat, but look to see what your neighbors have and what commercial plantings are available.
  • PRO
    PoolSupplyWorld
    11 years ago
    Just wanted to chime in and say I actually love the palm trees. They give you a lot of privacy, if that's what you like. I think you can still make the English cottage theme work with the palms.

I personally love the English Cottage look! And I think the privacy provided by the palm trees actually will help create that more country/nature/shady feel that you would expect an English Cottage to have. The retaining wall needs to go though! It's hideous and it is absolutely the opposite of English Cottage. If you need some sort of retaining wall, I would suggest using classic red brick.

Here's a few photos from Google for inspiration:
  • Debbie
    11 years ago
    To the left of your driveway is a stone-fence....needed? or just visual balancing? I'd remove it, (sell the used blocks--more $$ for your upgrade), as you are not getting the full potential of your lot. Remove the stone-fence to the right of the driveway, and along the sidewalk (sell the blocks-more $$ for you)...Feeling the curb appeal? Build a pergola over the front of garage, planting a drought resistent vine, on each side of garage. Sell ALL the palms (nice bit'of cash,eh?) Now you have the $$ to paint the house and garage. Drive around and check out the colors of houses in your area...got ideas forming now? Remove and sell the security gate (aha! more $). If you want a cottage garden, you will have to move to, say, the Pacific NorthWest, where it rains and rains. Vegas is the exact opposite! It's time to re-think what is feasible for a water-shortage area. I love the new "fake-turf", (in small doses) and quite a few of the HGTV and DIY shows are using more of it. NEVER plant tenacious plants close to the house, and if they are already there...be consistent in clearing them out! If you consult a local landscaper, remember they charge for their plans/ideas.
    Don't forget--the best water saver is to use drip-irrigation!
  • Debbie
    11 years ago
    To the left of your driveway is a stone-fence....needed? or just visual balancing? I'd remove it, (sell the used blocks--more $$ for your upgrade), as you are not getting the full potential of your lot. Remove the stone-fence to the right of the driveway, and along the sidewalk (sell the blocks-more $$ for you)...Feeling the curb appeal? Build a pergola over the front of garage, planting a drought resistent vine, on each side of garage. Sell ALL the palms (nice bit'of cash,eh?) Now you have the $$ to paint the house and garage. Drive around and check out the colors of houses in your area...got ideas forming now? Remove and sell the security gate (aha! more $). If you want a cottage garden, you will have to move to, say, the Pacific NorthWest, where it rains and rains. Vegas is the exact opposite! It's time to re-think what is feasible for a water-shortage area. I love the new "fake-turf", (in small doses) and quite a few of the HGTV and DIY shows are using more of it. NEVER plant tenacious plants close to the house, and if they are already there...be consistent in clearing them out! If you consult a local landscaper, remember they charge for their plans/ideas.
    Don't forget--the best water saver is to use drip-irrigation!
    Moss Roses are beautiful--colorful--comes back better every year and they don't take a lot of water!
  • Debbie
    11 years ago
    My thoughts on the inside--re: fireplace. Do you use it? wood or gas? Same rock on other side? Do you need the space that the fireplace is using? With such a strong color of the walls, one needs to just use it on one wall...and the ceiling should be several shades lighter, but NOT stark white. If it was me, I'd use some of the $$ from selling my block wall and trees, and install a wood (real or engineered wood) floor! Now, re: Kitchen counter-tops...there are sooo many choices, so bring samples home, and hold them up to your fireplace wall. (have you decided on keeping it or not?) Good luck and have FUN!
    Love your front door!
  • silverlady8
    11 years ago
    I love the palms and the fireplace....maybe a more updated color in the living room? one of the bluegrays? The shrubs in front of the windows need to go....you cant see the house very well. I think I would faux paint the garage doors to look like the expensive ones....just fool the eye!
  • lucindalane
    11 years ago
    Well, this seems to be the main discussion thread now. I hope that you can post a photo of the trimmed oleander bush-and, I would like to say a few words in defense of the plant. Its a growing, green plant-that produces flowers, so that should be a plus in an arid environment like Las Vegas, shouldn't it? It just needs to be managed.
    I also would like to say a few words in support of the cottage idea. I mentioned on the other thread that the house does have some Craftsman features, and it has a window behind that oleander bush that doesn't seem to be flush with the house, and so it seems that might be a rather "cottage-y" feature. So, it might not be a "Snow White" or "Lord of the Rings" kind of cottage, but that doesn't mean what few features it has can't be accentuated. Also, all English gardens are not the lush kind with flowers blooming everywhere. There are the more formal type where the plantings are more sectional.
    Salvia, Vinca, and Portaluca are all flowers who can take a lot of heat.
    So, I say, go for it, abelloesq. Just take what you have and improve on it. I wouldn't try to start removing a bunch of old paint, because the house is old enough that you are going to probably have to be concerned about lead in what paint that you might have to sand off just to add the new paint to the surfaces. I'm kind of prejudiced, because I have a blue and white house, but I think that photo of the blue and white house-with the rather taupe, "putty" colored porch-looks great, and it seems to have some of the same siding yours does. Also, are those wood shingles under the "oleander" window? If they are, that's another Craftsman feature.
    Everyone has given some great ideas-you just have to figure out which ones might work for you.
    So, I hope you will keep on posting pics of your progress.
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    For those of you who have never been to Las Vegas - into the areas which are neighborhoods - I can totally understand the need to have the outer security door. This is pretty much a necescity. I would suggest however that it be painted a darker richer color - the white is not helping. Will come back later with some thoughts on other stuff.
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    OK - If you want landscape materials - go to the local Ag. Site and find out about indegenious plants - you might be surprised at how many plant species grow in these areas. Definitely TRIM up that Oleander - just remember it is posionous. I just watched a PBS special on a reclaimed WET area just outside Las Vegas - who knew? This was done with the help of students from the local university and a bio-diversity expert who restored this wetland area - TONS of local indegenious plants.

Yes - if security is NOT an issue - definitely remove that outer metal door. A beautiful louvered metal door - which is screened and can have glass inserts in the winter months will provide you with security and allow fresh air as the seasons allow. Or, there is always the traditional wooden louvered door - but I would go with the metal.

What you are lacking my Dear is COLOR! Try a rich desert red family for your house! NOT adobe pink - not adobe rose - RED the color of the desert red for your stucco. then I would paint all the wooden parts a green/grey. Your house is not grounded - because the white does not look like it is holding it down to the earth. I would then paint or stain the brick a darker shade of the green/grey or grey/green - these ARE cottage colors - that should settle that part. Since it is dry there - try putting cedar shakes on the front of the house around the garage doors - these should be stained a GREY/Green also to compliment the other colors? IF you cannot afford a new garage door - the what about painting it to dissapear? Use a softer green? Or a softer grey that the cedar shakes on the front? Then just add some traditional hardware for decoration - wrought iron - until you can replace? Look at go to Van Dykes Restorer's on line and check out garage hardware for ideas?

Since one of the biggest issues in Las Vegas - is never ending glaring light - I would suggest painting all the soffits (down facing trim under your roof line) a dark color - this hides dirt, etc. and outlines the house to make it pop. What about a pure rich charcoal grey for this?

I would also put cedar shakes under the roof line behind where the Oleander is - to continue this design idea for the house? Stain this the same color as the front the garage. All of this will add a cottage feel to the house - without chaging its basic desgin.

I LIKE the palm trees! Please don't cut them down?

I also like the idea of creating a cool entry with a water feature - get a large URN planter with a recycling water pump. If there is no place to have a little garden area in the entry way - create one. Build a little garden bed with stone - add a liner, dirt, and fill with plants - since is darker in there - could you use some ferns? What about varigated grasses? Pots of flowering plants - Hibiscus, smaller elephant ears, other types of heat seeking plants - I have Mexico City. It is lush in shaded areas, under porticos, interior courtyards! Gently flowing waters driping over the edges of pots.

Could you - if you saved the garage door money for now - build something like a pergola from the driveway/garage area to where the walkway curves around? This could provide some interest from the street and yet give you a screen of privacy for the front of your house?

The other thing I see going on here, other than all the white, white - is this: There is NO variation of color in the front yard. I would suggest using a darker stone material along the front entry from the garage to the house. And would also suggest staining the wall which goes around the property. Put something like a wash on it to give it some pop?

If you do your door in a much richer - deeper color, and create a dark looking, cool entry way into the home, then having a darker wash on the wall will also give you some "curb appeal". I don't know about taking out the palms - but I do know folks buy these. I know folks here in the south sell their mature Pride of Mobile Azeleas to Augusta National to replace dead ones. But I would not take them all down. Water is such an issue there - I would definitely go with some type of xeroscaping which is appropriate. Perhaps purchasing some large stones and planting indegenious and unique plants would be great.

As to your lovely house - I LOVE your fireplace - but I get the feeling you are fighting with the very nature of your house. Why not go with the flow and really do a whole Mid-Century Modern thing - IT is what is happening right now. I think your home is VERY cool! and although I live in a 115 year old house - I could just as easily do one like yours. So much for that look right now - in flooring, window coverings, appliances, lighting fixtures reproductions, along with all the great new fabrics which capture this period, and especially tiles for kitchen and bathrooms. Plug in Mid-century and just see all the stuff that comes up - and it is all updated for a more luxuious look and comfort.

LASTLY - I would cut the Oleanader down as far as you can take it, dig it up and put it someplace else. Make another stone planter there (keeping with the 1968 style - which is something they did with brick) and put in some plants you love - and can water in one specific area. I DO know there are lots of roses (heirloom roses) which have done very well in the desert - you see them all over Texas and New Mexico. They also grow well in Mexico. You could then have something of the cottage garden aspect. We had an old rose bush at our family farm in Texas - no one watered it, no one sprayed it - it just grew and grew!

Sorry for the BIG notes - but I just love your place. IF you can build a pergola - and as someone else suggested - make a garden area which runs along with it, and plant Hibiscus and Bouganvella vines on this - this you could also manage to water - without getting into trouble -a beautiful yellow one would look great against a red colored house. There is a specific color I am thinking of: it is used on Rainbow Row in Charleston and is called :British Coral.

PLEASE LET US KNOW - I THINK EVERYTHING WILL BE JUST STUNNING IF YOU TAKE ANY OF THESE IDEAS FROM ALL WHO HAVE POSTED HERE. WE WILL BE WAITING FOR YOUR TRANSFORMATION. :-)
  • Susan Alfinito
    11 years ago
    Those Palms are huge! If you really want to keep them, then you will need to dress up the view from the curb. I'd start with a good cement paint to warm up those blocks. Maybe a soft buttery yellow. Then, have planters built to fit atop the wall between the "posts"... paint those a contrasting color or a nicely finished wood. I don't know what plants are native to where you live, but I would find something colorful and leafy. The beauty of raised planters are that they are easy to maintain. The cottage garage door would be a great investment. If it's way out of budget, maybe a local carpenter can build nice wood swing doors that would be finished the planter colors. The house needs color.... color is A pop feature would be your house numbers or some kind of "art" to fill the peak area over the garage.
    These are all budget ideas... and would make a big difference.
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    Dear "A" . . . I have been thinking about your lovely home since I last posted some ideas for more of a "cottage" look. But, honestly, I think since the house is what it is - why not go with the nature of the home - and ALL of this can be accomplished by just changing around the paint colors, where they are applied AND the type of Pergola you could build for the entrance?

The type of landscaping the other person mentioned was Mid-Century Modern. And YOU CAN take your lovely home there - for cheap! With some PAINT, Boards, and stacked stone!

I sure wish I could post pictures - will try and figure out.

But first: Paint! No need for new garage door. And yes, paint the brick! For EXAMPLE:

What about 3 TONES of the same shade of a taupey/grey? Or a Green/Grey? (or whatever you decide on for color). Getting rid of all the white is a must! If, for examply, you placed the MID-Toned color on the walls of the Garage, and added detail by painting the wood above the garage door roof-line the LIGHTEST Tone - and outlined all of the facisa Boards and trim in the DARKEST Tone - this WILL Detail the entire front of the house! Paint the Garage doors - the LIGHTEST of the Tones also? Does this make sense? Then continue THIS pattern over the rest of the house - Painting the brick (or all of the BASE of the HOME) the DARKETS Tones?

This will also ANCHOR the house - so it is more fixed in place and will also provide a contrasting BACKGROUND for any planter, or landscaping YOU choose?

I would also again, like to suggest removing those Oleanders from the Front and making a Stacked Stone [or manufactured stone] (natural looking) planter across the front under those windows. LINE this planter so it will hold as MUCH moisture as possible as this will all be wicked away by the heat in LV. Another thing you could consider is Bermuda Shutters for those two windows - which could be in a GREAT pop of color against a grey, or what you have chosen to paint the body of the house? This will also provide YOU with privacy and shade for those windows and some sense of shade for whatever is in the planter - across that space?

Does your house face west or south?

It is all about contrasts in the desert - and creating a balance against the Glare of the Sun! To provide the sense - of - wow - this looks cool and inviting.

Another thing to take this to Mid-Century would be a more GEO-Metrical Pergola. Instead of one which is just open with the boards accross the top - Make one with Sides of the SQUARED lattice - in keeping with this mid-century style - Frame the Squared lattice as one would do fencing - and make the entire thing out of natural cedar or redwood - or cedar STAINED red-wood - this is a little more edgy than cottage - & more in keeping with Mid-Century. You can still do vines - to create the lovely contrasts and single red-woods look will provide a GREAT contrast with the color of the home?

Another SIMPLE feature for a ture POP along your entry way: Take 6-8 INCH wide Cedar Boards and cover the entire entry way walls HORIZONTALLY - and STAIN the RED-WOOD color - in Mid-Century or Classic period ranch - adds a FEELING of FLOW - across the facade of the space - as the lines will all RUN HORIZONTALLY! This will not only ADD great interest - but will lead you and your guests to that COOL space you can create between the front door and where that metal gate will be removed! (a water feature, stacked stone planter with ferns, something cool?). Don't forget to replace light fixture with a more period appropriate one - or get a mcuh larger one to enhance the look of this little area.

Another FUN thing you can do for your entrance: Once you have removed that security door and all the metal: Try covering the CEILING of this entry area with Medium colored (or toned) Bamboo Flooring? (don't want too much of a contrast with the red-wood stain). This will add something BRIGHT and light - to the entrance and totally define this space. Will also be very light reflective for your entrace and will certainly make this entire AREA pop.

As I have suggested earlier - a LOUVERED metal front screen door - will certainly add security and would also pull in with the Bermuda Shutters (if you choose these) and could both be the SAME color - and would unify the entire decorating scheme for the front of your home.

Even if you wanted these to be Tangerine Orange - to totally add a splash - if you have chosen a grey/taupe, or green/grey or whatever - it would still work! Even a lovely soft Grey/blue would make all of this POP!

Just don't forget to paint the gutters too.

IF you think about this - it is about highlighting and bringing out the lines and architecture of your home - which IS the great thing about your house! All done with a modified palette of tone on tone. Unassuming and low key - yet very detailed in its conception.

A great looking home is always about the DETAILS. And the good thing is - it does NOT cost an arm & a leg to do this.

If you choose to go with some stacked stone planters - be sure to choose some of the stones to reflect the color you have chosen for your house. This will pull everything together for a more unified look. Details. And I LOVE the idea of that pergola from the parking area - to the front door with the SQUARED lattice,. a beautiful red-wood stain - for a very natural landscape screen, along with the horziontal boards. There IS on the This Old House Web-site (plug in "lattice fencing" ) ; a DETAILED description IF you want to build this yourself rather than purchase.

I can just see with some beautiful new house numbers in Brass against a darker, welcoming and calming color - your stunning new entrace. For a final pop - some great red-cedar mulch around your beautiful palm trees to further carry the concept throughout the font of your home.
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    OMGosh - I just plugged in "Mid-Century Modern - Exteriors" on Houzz (No. 3 in slide show pics) and there is a HOUSE EXACTLY like your front entrance and pretty much what I suggested - but with different colors - still retaining (some of the white) - the horizontal boarding, the walk, the front door - EVERYTHING. I hope you will check these out - pretty darned amazing! Great Ideas there.
  • abelloesq
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    WOW! Don't know how in the world I missed these new comments...Fife2-incredible...thanks sooo much for soooo much thought on this. Thank you as well Susan!! There are so many thoughts here, I will need a little time to go though them. One thing I don't need to ponder is the suggestions for painting. All are so right, the 1st thing that is a must is a new color on all the exterior areas. Fife2, I did not locate the pic you were referring to when putting in Mid-century Modern under exteriors. If you find it again, could you be so kind as to paste the link?
    BTW, I trimmed down the Oleander to a couple feet below the window last month.(pics to come soon), I was fearful to do more as I was concerned about how it would take such a drastic cutting during this blistering hot weather and seemed I would be leaving too many bare branches if I went further so thought I better stop and learn more about pruning methods for these so it doesn't make the visual experience of this exterior even worse. As far as total removal/transplant of this bush, from what I have read about Oleanders is that they are very hard to kill and/or pull up, particularly one of this age and size, but still need to look into this further as well.
    As to the question re the house position, it faces West.
    Will digest all this and post again soon. Any further comments are always welcomed and greatly appreciated!
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    Actually that was page three in the house pics (mid-century) and You ARE so WELCOME - got my juices going! I just had a back procedure and am currently stuck in house! funny.

I writing all this, I did find a Tangerine Door of all things.

There is such a thing as "STUMP Killer" in bags hardware stores - but until you really decide - I would just wait.

And one last thing - since the house DOES face West - I would definitely consider the Bermuda Shutters. Privacy and cool - would tie in with a louvered door. ???

have a great day.
  • abelloesq
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Looking into the mid-century mod suggestions, I just looked at a number of pics and as far as interiors of this style, while, I can see why many are into the look, I really feel its not me. I think it might be bc I am 50 and the pics I saw make me think they are something my own mother probably wished our house looked like when I was growing up! I could live with (and even maybe really like) some mid-mod in my house, I think I would only feel comfortable with anything like this in small doses. I have thought of contemp mod/industrial in the same way. Of course, it may just be that I have never thought of mid-century mod (in or out) for myself and I will try to open up my mind more and see if it grows on me.
    In the meantime, as the house was built in 1968, I looked up "1970's" and found pics of an eclectic 1970's home in an ideabook, which, while I don't love all of the pics, are much more reflective of my style leanings: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/110064/list/Houzz-Tour---Good-bye-Green--Shag-Carpeting--Hello-Gorgeous-.Not sure what all this means when it comes to figuring out the exterior!?
    Oh, and fife2- I hope your back procedure does not leave you down for too long and wish you well.
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Hi Abelloesq,

Fife2 asked me to post this photo as this is the post-modern exterior she was commenting on in this thread. Hope this helps!
    Steve
    Palm Springs · More Info
  • abelloesq
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you!
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    Thank YOU Beautiful Remodel - this is perfect I think because the structure is the same, sans the glass on the right.
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    Dear Abelloseq: I so understand of what you speak! I will share this: I have 115 yr old Victorian Farmhouse. I have very carefully retored the outside, and the house needed this - I really cannot be anything else - and Yes I love it. HOWEVER, I AM NOT restoring the inside!
    I am taking out wall, opening up rooms. I AM keeping the original heart pine floors, the beautiful heart pine doors (restored), etc. I will use cottage windows on the back. In the kitchen I am doing a beamed ceiling to the roof-line using the repurposed 1/2 inch PETRIFIED Knotty Pine currently in the DR (office) -

My point: I think embracing the structure of home can be done - without living with it inside. And while I will use reference materials in the home - I want light, open and airy! Not dark, heavy and oppressive - as much of victoriana was.

YOU could change your home completely to a more cottage feel by using the first model I suggested - adding shakes over your horizational wood lathe; under all roof peakes? And simply changing HOW you apply colors? Adding non-functioning hardware to your garage door - until you can get a new one with cottage doors? Using different materials for lighting fixtures and house numbers? NOT chrome. It is a simple switcheroo! IF you like cottage - then perhaps finding a book at the Library on this period of style home would be the best concept? Simply cover ALL of the Board & Batten with shakes you can stain to match your home?

You could STILL use Bermuda shutters on the front windows - for heat protection; privacy; and cooling purposes - I have seen these used all over Las Vegas - especially at restaurants.

On your entrance - use a pergola, which incorporates some Arches - stain a darker color - you could still plant vines along here - use a darker flag stone to your entrace way - cool this down again with deep planted materials in a newly built stacked stone planter and CHANGE the front door to an OAK door?

ALSO for that FP in the LR - you could have someone build a BOX over it for the base - and cover it with anything you like - bead-board; paneling; stacked stone; I think this would be very simple - it might be more of a modern interpretation - but with arts and crafts - cottage - it is all about the material and color. All of these designs : Arts & Crafts; cottage, Praire was the knee jerk reaction to the overwhelming heaviness of Victorian imposed styles.

Let us know - we will be waiting for your fabulous re-do!
  • Kasey B
    11 years ago
    I did not read through all the comments here but I'll give you my 2 cents on the palms and yard. While Mexican fan palms are a staple in the SW deserts, they can add to properties if used correctly. However, you do have too many in the space. Reducing the cluster and isolating one bunch to the far right side of the property will help open up the space. I don't think you'll find too many companies running to remove them to salvage them though; they easily reseed and can be found cheaply (even at that size) on farms from the Palm Desert to Phoenix. Have an arborist cut them down. Using low growing shrubs like Salvia clevelandii (true sages), Leucophullum (Tx sage) varieties and grasses like Mullenbergia capillaries or rigens will help give you that cottage feel in the yard. When selecting plants, look for salt tolerant plants since LV has very salty water and soil. Over time this will lead to plant stress and failure. Good luck!
  • Kasey B
    11 years ago
    oops... Leucophyllum
  • lucindalane
    11 years ago
    Hi, Abelloesq,
    I hope that you read this if you got it in your e-mail. I would like to kiss the feet of whoever wrote this. This is some very excellent-and timely advice about painting brick.
    Link to article:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/what-you-need-to-know-before-painting-brick-stsetivw-vs~4040365?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u161&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery4
  • abelloesq
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I did see this the other day. I was thinking about painting the cinder block wall surrounding the yard when I paint the house and thanks to this article, am thinking twice about that!!. Also, it raised concerns fior me over the prior owner's having painted over the brick on the house itself, but am hoping it was only facade brick, as opposed to being actual building material. Further, I was thinking of removing the paint from the brick on the house, but according to this article, it may not all come off, so I could end up with a mess there...Thanks for bringing this up!
  • abelloesq
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I was going through current real estate listings yesterday to get ideas of similar houses and actually found several on the other side of town that are the same. Check it out..Its great to be able to see what the house looks without the blocking by all the palms etc. Am rather liking the steps that were put in on the one home so guests don't have to walk up the driveway to get to the front door. I was surprised however that as I went through a 1000 or so pics that the driveway/entrance combo is actually the norm in LV, with a separate walkway being the exception.... While I have lived here most of my like, I never took notice of this fact Still, I find this "norm" odd.