Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sqftgarden_in_wnc

HFGH 6x8? Opinions?

sqftgarden_in_wnc
17 years ago

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47712

Anyone have this greenhouse? Thoughts? Opinions? Extras you have added to it and how much that bumped up the cost? Exploring my options. I would like to have a small greenhouse by late summer/early fall.

Comments (5)

• gardenerwantabe
    17 years ago

The search feature will net you hours of reading on this subject.
    Try it then if you have questions ask.
    The search is your friend use it.

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

Welcome, Sqftgarden. The previous post is correct - you'll find a wealth of information on the 6x8 HFGH if you run a search. Overall, I believe most people are very happy with them; in most places, they don't require the structural modifications the 10x12 does. I am in a similar zone, USDA 7, coastal New Jersey, have one and have been thrilled with it (though it is a little cramped ... but I think I'd have the same problem with a much larger one anyway, lol).

The amount of info you'll find in a search can seem overwhelming, so, in brief, I believe I spent somewhere between $600& $800 all told; the following list may not be all-inclusinve, but probably close.

Trailer rental for transport (we picked up at a local HF store), treated 2x10's & hardware for base, weatherstripping tape, caulk, gravel, paving blocks, benching & shelving materials, U-clamps for hanging things, circulating fan, electric heater, small propane heater for backup, wireless thermo-hygrometer, automatic roof vent, clear solar pool cover, 2 sheets 1" foam board for north wall & roof, hardware cloth and foil faced bubble-wrap type insulation for rodent and draft barriers around perimeter, GFCI outlet. I didn't buy a shade cloth, since ours is under a limbed-up tall oak, which provides dappled shade May-late September in all but the morning hours. Ours took about 6 hours to build (we had prepared the site the day before, and electric had already been run to the garden shed, so it was a very short run from there to the greenhouse.)

I can provide you with more specifics, but first run a search and take a look at what others have already posted. Lots of good ideas out there, and "Conifers" posted a wonderful set of photos and notes documenting his assembly. A lot will depend on what your site is like (i.e., any special conditions like high winds, sloping ground, etc.) and how you plan to use the greenhouse.

Be careful, though, as these things can be habit-forming. I am completely hooked ... I'd give up my second bathroom before I'd give up my greenhouse!

Diane

• belleville_rose_gr
    17 years ago

i have just moved into that HFGH and loving it. I didn't have room for anything larger so i bought this one. Installation was uneventful except I needed to add another 2x8 to the front frame(door). i used the dimensions provided but was short no biggie. I have since ordered a shade cloth, mister and timer because the gh will heat up fast. I just put shelves in on one side and will add shelves to the other but am planning on installing a planting bed because i hope to grow some veggies longer into the season hopefully till thanksgiving maybe xmas. I know this first year will be an eperience but am thoroughly enjoying the time.

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

Congratulations on your greenhouse; may you continue to enjoy it as much as you are already.

A few others reported that problem with the printed base dimensions. We assembled the aluminum base first, measured it, then cut and fastened the wood foundation together (then put the aluminum base on again to make sure the fit was right, with much checking at various stages to make sure everything was level and square ... my son's a little OCD about that, but it's all for the best in the end).

• turquoise
    17 years ago

We'll be starting on ours this weekend. One tip is to check online for coupons, a 30% off coupon I printed out saved us $99! If you're going to a local store check the internet to see if it's cheaper, they'll match the price.

We picked ours up at a local store and were able to safely get it home strapped to the roof rack of a VW Golf. We haven't decided on the extras yet, but estimate our treated wood and gravel base (landscape timbers, decking material, gravel, insulation panels, hardware) will probably tack on $150, maybe $200.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH