linda1270

Are Old Roots in Soil Okay in a Flower Bed?

LindaMA

I bought my house last July and ripped out an old Lilac bush that was way overgrown and half dead on one side. It had to come out, it was a mess. Needless to say there were hundreds of roots and I tried day after day to get rid of the majority of them. Now spring is upon us and soon I would like to plant some of the flowers I have been sowing in this bed, however, there are still lots of roots in difference places. I noticed this the other day when I was checking the soil out and outlining the bed. I thought that they would die over the winter but I was wrong.

At the end of last summer, I covered this area with layers of newspaper, grass clippings, leaves and stuff that I composted from my kitchen. I plan on adding some manure to the soil as soon as it gets a little warmner, we had snow this morning. Can I plant in this area with there still be a lot of roots underneath the soil?

Thanks in advance!

Linda