diegartenfrau

Foilastic glazing tape/HFGH

diegartenfrau

Hi all, I am a complete novice when it comes to Greenhouse gardening or putting one together so please excuse my asking this silly question

we just got a HFGH 6x8 Greenhouse, thanks to the Greenhouse forum information here and online, it went up pretty easy and is looking good already. Before we put it together I came across the tips to get extra panel clips, "T"bolts, the breathable tape to close of the panel top and bottom and Glazing Tape(http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_productdetails&productid=1532)......so I ordered all of these at Charley's Greenhouse. Only now I can't find the information what to do with the Glazing tape. Where do I put it? Does it go on the outside sealing the joints? I can't figure out how to use it?

Could someone please explain how and where to use it. My husband thinks it needs to be stuck on the inside of the greenhouse at the panel joints.....but that doesn't make any sense to me, since you would cover up the accessory channels then making them not usable.

Could someone please explain how and where to use it?

Thank you and have a great gardening day!

Isabell

• mudhouse_gw

(No questions are silly!) Congratulations on getting your greenhouse up. I have the HFGH 10x12 and enjoy it 365 days a year.

I'm drawing a bit of a blank on the need for glazing tape too. I didn't use any on mine. As you mentioned, it's a good idea to tape the tops and bottoms of the poly panels, to prevent dirt, insects, and green goo from setting up camp inside the small polycarbonate channels. I've read that breathable tape is best (I used cheaper aluminum tape from the big box stores, but it started peeling after a few years in our sun.)

On the HFGH 10x12, some kits have a problem because the roof panels are just a tad too short to overlap the rain gutters at the tops of the sides. Some of us 10x12 owners have used tape to bridge that gap, to make sure rain water is funneled to the gutters, but I'm not sure if this same problem exists on the HFGH 6x8.

I agree with your observation that taping over the interior framework would prevent you from accessing the channels. You might want access to those as you "grow" into your greenhouse, as you might find you want to add shelves, anchor greenhouse benches, hang fans, etc.

Maybe another HFGH owner will pop up here with an idea. I tried searching this forum for "HFGH glazing tape" but didn't find anything helpful for you.

One caveat, did you anchor your poly panels into the aluminum framework with screws, in addition to the extra clips? I am a big fan of doing so, since the HFGH kits have a reputation of losing panels easily in bad winds, if not secured with screws. I show the screws we used in our blog, here, if it's helpful. Building our HFGH 10x12, Part Six Adding the Panels

Enjoy your greenhouse!
    Sheri

• penfold2

I have not built a HFGH, but I have used polycarbonate. Foil tape goes on the top of each panel to prevent dirt and water from entering the vertical channels. Breathable tape goes on the bottom of each panel to allow any water to drain out of the channels. The foilastic butyl glazing tape you linked to is something else, however. It has a layer of butyl rubber behind the foil which makes it thicker. It sounds like it's meant to go over joints on the outside of the greenhouse. I would just use silicone for sealing joints, though. It's cheaper, nearly invisible, and works great.

• mudhouse_gw

I'm usually a bit alarmed when we have left over parts after any project, but my husband always says it only means we did it right. ;-)

If the tape was $29.95, and you have no other use, I might call Charleys and see if you could return it for a credit. But then I'm an incredibly cheap person...! ;-)

• cindy_ga

I wanted to renew this discussion regarding taping the ends of the polycarbonate panels. I'm read to purchase the tape for our HFGH (10x12) and am not finding the thread I saw awhile back on exactly which tape to purchase for the top and bottom of the panels. I seem to remember that Mudhouse was recommending clear tape for the top of the panels and the breathable tape for the bottom? Can anyone confirm this? Thank you!

Cindy

• mudhouse_gw

My understanding, when I first built our HFGH, was that the tape on the top of the panels could be solid (not perforated) but it was a good idea to perforate the tape on the bottom end. Theoretically this would allow any trapped moisture to escape from the polycarbonate channels.

Charley's Greenhouse Supply sells a breathable tape to use on polycarbonate panels: Vented polycarbonate tape

I first taped my panels using aluminum tape from Lowe's. I used a sewing-wheel like tool to puncture the tape on the bottom of the panels. Others here in the forum mentioned using aluminum tape, as an alternative to the more expensive greenhouse supply tape designed for the purpose.

After about two years in our hot climate, the aluminum tape started to peel. I then replaced it with clear duct tape, which seems to last better in my climate. I no longer worry about venting or perforating either end, but I live in the desert, and decided that allowing moisture to escape didn't seem to matter much here.

I also don't seem to have a problem with green gunky stuff accumulating in the channels of my polycarbonate; all I get is brown dust, and tiny little spiders, if I leave a panel end untaped. But the photos at the start of this old thread helped me to understand that folks in wetter climates can have unsightly accumulations in the channels, if they don't seal the ends somehow:
    Greenhouse maintenance (pics)

I'm no expert on this topic, and usually choose the cheapskate route, so I hope others will chime in.

• cindy_ga

Thank you so much - that's what I remembered reading. You're pretty awesome to be so helpful.

So the clear tape on top is just clear duct tape? That at least isn't going to cost a fortune. :) For the Charley's tape for the bottom - that would be fine if it's a one roll deal, but if I need several, I'm going to be doing as you did with the sewing wheel. I have to estimate how many feet of panel bottoms I have...

I am certain that moisture and algae will be an issue for us. Algae grows on my car. Yes, really. And it's partly in the sun. Even my plastic flamingos in the sunny garden grow mildew. So ventilation is probably necessary. Thanks for the info on maintenance - I hope I won't be cleaning green goo out of the panels - that will drive me nuts.

As a side note, we've assembled the 4x6s foundation, gravel is coming this week (I hope), and we'll be actually putting up some of the structure next weekend. I've been taking photos as we go and plan to share as soon as I pull it together.

I continue to be amazed at the cost of odds and ends of "stuff" we keep buying to improve the kit.

Cindy

• mudhouse_gw

Yes, that breathable tape at Charley's seems crazy expensive to me too. I found this different version of a bottom-sealing tape for sale at another site, a little less pricey:
    Anti-Dust Bottom Tape

I wish I could tell you if all the fuss over "breathability" really matters. It sure doesn't seem to matter here (no problems when I just used the same clear duct tape, top and bottom of the panels.)

I usually try cheaper, simpler options first, and then go the more expensive route when I am forced at gunpoint because all else has failed. ;-)

Pink flamingos would not grow algae here. They'd probably sun-bleach to white flamingos, crack from the heat, and the shards would scatter in our 55 mph spring wind gusts. (I am a little cranky because we seem to be in an endless drought.) A little algae would be kind of nice.

Sounds like you're making great progress. Keep us posted!
    Sheri

• eastpenna

I see that everyone says to use extra panel clips, where are you getting them? I looked at charley's and the ones I seen said not for the HFGH. I will be building the 6 x 8 model in a couple of weeks.

• mudhouse_gw

Hello eastpenna, you can order extra clips directly from Harbor Freight by calling the 1-800 number on your greenhouse manual. These are among the items they keep in stock here in the US Harbor Freight warehouses for quick shipping, so you shouldn't have to wait long for delivery. Mine came quickly.

• eastpenna

Mudhouse, I just got off the phone with them as was told the clips are no longer available.

• eastpenna

• mudhouse_gw

That's very odd. I'm on the phone with them now, will post back (and thanks for the heads up.)

• mudhouse_gw

OK, I'm back. Eastpenna, ordering from Harbor Freight is sorta like herding cats through a three-ring circus. Always an adventure. ;-)

The person you spoke with was incorrect and/or confused; the clips are still available.

Here is the info you need to call back with. The clips are identical for both the 6x8 greenhouse and the 10x12 greenhouse. However, Harbor Freight uses different part and SKU numbers for each kit. I asked him to look up both for us, so I could post it all here. He said to be sure to give them the SKU number and that will avoid confusion. (Good luck with that, lol.)

For the 6x8 greenhouse:
    Part number 46 panel clip
    SKU number 27339, set of 72 clips, $9.99

For the 10x12 greenhouse:
    Part number 53 panel clip
    SKU number 29457, set of 130 clips, $15.99

Hope this helps, feel free to post back if this doesn't work. Be prepared to speak slowly and be persistent. ;-)
    Sheri

• eastpenna

Mudhouse, THANK YOU! I just got off the phone and ordered 2 packs of the 29457 clips. I am taking your word that they will work on the 6 x 8 greenhouse. You are correct about it being an adventure!

Thanks again,
    Dave

• mudhouse_gw

You're welcome Dave. That sounds like plenty clips for the 6x8 (but, I'm usually the one around here harping about securing the panels well.) If you end up with too many and need to sell a few, you're welcome to email me through Gardenweb, as I can always use a few more.

In case you haven't found it, here's a nice blog about building the Harbor Freight 6x8, by dewey1945:
    Building and Improving the Harbor Freight 6x8 Greenhouse

And the link to my blog for the 10x12 is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building our Harbor Freight 10x12 Greenhouse

• cindy_ga

Thank you Sheri! for the details on the phone number and part number. That's my next telephone call!

• mudhouse_gw

Best of luck Cindy. ;-)

I will say the folks at Harbor Freight have always been courteous when I order. It just seems like it's sometimes hard for them to understand what I'm asking for, and I have to repeat a lot. Could be system the sales people are using doesn't make their job easy.