adkinsca_gw

Air compressor: Which to choose Oil filled or oil free design

adkinsca

I am considering purchasing an air compressor for light home use. It will only be used occasionally, and I wanted to get opinions as to which type unit to buy. I am not necessarily limited to the two models in this post, but these are the types of compressor I am considering.

I have liked this Husky model from Home Depot for several years. It has a 26 gallon tank, with a single stage oil-filled cast iron compressor.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100063473

The other style that seems more popular is the oil free pump, similar to this unit from sears. It also is a 26 gallon tank.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916760000P

I have attached pictures of the two units that are mentioned here. Cost isn't that big of a driver. I want something that will last well with limited use, and operate in an effective and satisfying manner. My assumptions going into this are that the oil filled pump would be considerably quieter, and that the oil-filled would last much longer.

It seems however that there are many more oil-free units of this type being produced, so I wanted to get some opinions from users of either or both type. Maybe my assumptions aren't valid. I have seen oil-free designs that are portable with ~25 gallon tanks from DeWalt, Kobalt, Campbell-Hausfeld, etc. The oil free designs also seem to typically have a higher Max PSI rating. Thanks...

Example pictures of a couple of the compressors...

Oil free design...

{{gwi:313591}}

Husky cast iron oil filled compressor...

{{gwi:313592}}

• canguy

The oil free units are cheaper but are quite noisy and limited in output. IMHO, the cast iron oil bath pumps are the way to go. Be aware there are no parts and service centers available for the Husky, H-D is the only outlet.If it gives problems you are on your own and no, it is NOT made by Husqvarna.

• davefr

Oil free are usually cheaper and lighter. They're also better if your primary application is paint spraying. However they're noisy and don't hold up very well.

Cast iron, belt driven, oil lubricated compressor are far superior in durability. For spraying paint you'll just need to add a drier to the output.

More recent pictures of my kitchen/dining and living area - need to choose paint ASAP!!

Finally, some updated pictures..! Sorry it took me so long, but still having trouble getting "connected" out here in the country... Here are a couple pictures of kitchen/dining area, foyer and family room.. I went with SW "moody blue", and absolutely love it! Have had several compliments! Still haven't painted kitchen cabinets, but did change hardware. Not sure if I want to paint, distress, stain or whitewash..? Any suggestions ? Gary Finley, I hope you see these!

Choosing new kitchen counter tops! Help!

Once I get the counters replaced, there will be a one-color backsplash with no edge like the old backsplash has presently. The microwave occupies almost the whole space (picture attached) with a hidden drawer above it. I've added a picture of the mini-island butcher block on wheels which does serve several purposes, one being to hold the paper towels. Perhaps, I'll move the paper towel holder to the other side where the towel ring is, and in that way it will be less visible upon entering. It's funny but I've never really noticed it before until you mentioned it, and it really does stand out. Designers say that we should photograph our interiors so as to critic what we see, however, when we are so used to a space, you sometimes don't even notice it in a picture until someone else calls attention to it. Thank you Kitasei!

Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!

Oh Flair, you always strike a happy chord with me and I agree, and clean this mess up, will 'ya??? Toats, those chair back covers REALLY are totally tuning in with the rest of all the beauty, quirk and warmth. I LOVE THEM, how bout you? You love 'em??? Tomorrow is the official open the flood gates to buyers day, huh? Yeah, I'll be there this weekend with my offer (just wishing unfortunately) Did ya get the quilt squares finished? Did you change out the paddle fan, BTW?

Need help, designing IKEA Sektion drawer layout, which sizes, interior

It's getting close! It's usable. Few details left. Door handles went on great, but decided on knobs for glass cabinet and they aren't on yet. Few things like that. Put in drawer interior lighting for top drawers and adding for others. I guess it's easy to never finish with IKEA since can change things. I am so happy. So many little things--wipe cabinets off and clean, drawers all soft close, trash and sink auto opening, so many types of drawer organizers I know where everything is and things go right back. I've had no problems with backs of cabinets and I've stuffed lots of cans into a couple. Pictures when finished.
  • rustyj14

Oil filled compressors are the best type to have and use. The oil-free are for occasional tire filling, blowing dust off your work, or maybe spraying some weed killer on yer garden. but, for trouble free use, the type with the cast iron or aluminum block, which has to have the oil changed occasionally, and checked frequently, is better in the long run. Better for impact guns, air sanders, air grinders, anything for which you will need the punch of lots of supplied air. 2 cylinder is best.
    the other thing to consider is this: Cubic feet per minute! The higher, the better! Commonly called CFM. The higher the better, as the compressor will be better able to keep up with air use. The cheaper compressors have an added appendage to CFM, which i can't recall at this time. It is designed to fool the uninformed into making them think it is better than CFM, which is advertising palaver!

• rcmoser

Why do yo need one that big? I would shop around, ebay has them by the hundreds for atleast half price new. some are so cheap you pay more for shipping. More HP the bigger the extension cord has to be, unless it's 220V. they pull alot of amps especially beyond 80 PSI when the pressure and load on the motor builds.

Unless you are plannig on running air tools and do alot of painting or blowing you won't need a high dollar huge tank one IMO.

• adkinsca

Thanks for the advice on this topic. The comments about getting the oil-filled compressor confirmed my suspicions that I would be happier going that route. I ended up finding a used Husky on craigslist that is the same model number (VT6315) as the model shown in the pic at the top of this email. It has a 26 gallon tank with a cast iron 2 cylinder oil-filled compressor.
    One concern raised was that parts for the Husky would be hard to find, but this is not the case. The compressor is built by Campbell Hausfeld, and parts are readily available at any place which carries CH parts. The model number VT6315 can be entered on the CH website to get the manuals, parts lists, etc. The compressor pump is CH model VT2030, and again parts are readily available if I should ever need any.
    When I was looking around, I was actually surprised how many compressors were basically identical except paint color. This same basic unit has been made under the brand names of Campbell Hausfeld, Husky, Maxus, and Speedaire by Dayton at a minimum.

• tomhoffman

When I was going to build a house, I asked the local lumber yard. What do all the contractors around here use.

They told me about the Rol-Air. It was definitely a good decision. It has been in heavy use for almost 8 years now and it just keeps going. It will run a pair of roofing nail guns as fast as you want to go or it will run a DA Sander, or it will handle a Texture gun for drywall, as well as all the normal small air compressor tasks around the shop. Very portable. Easy to carry around and never seems to be down on pressure. All in All a very good tool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rol-Air

• rdaystrom

I agree that the oil sump type is better. I just rebuilt an oil-free type for a friend. They have a single teflon type ring and a coated cylinder. Most run open crankcase designs and are prone to failure. They are noisy too. Good luck with you new Husky.

• the_0utsider

Rdaytrom mentnions a good point of open crankcase - My pump was ruined when mudbugs made a cacoon in the cylinder scoring the walls and teflon ring.

• cranheim

I purchased a Rolair Model 5520K70, 1.5HP 2 cylinder 20 gal compressor. The Rolair brand is expensive, but they are commercial quality. It is probably more than I need, but I am very satisfied with my purchase. Charles Ranheim

• adkinsca

I looked up the Rolair. It has a better air delivery specs than the Husky I bought (6.9 cfm@100psi vs. 5.8 cfm@90psi). Charles, does this look like yours? It indeed looks to be a commercial quality compressor. I looked at the schematics for this Rolair as well, and it looks to be built extremely well. As you said, they are expensive. It looks like it is about double the price of the Husky if both are purchased new. The Rolair is definitely built to a higher standard that the Husky.

{{gwi:313593}}

I also attached a photo of my Husky. It is the same model number as the one at the top of the page (VT6315), but they have reconfigured it a little in the recent versions to make it slightly more compact. I think mine is probably 4 years old. The air delivery specs have been revised a little in the newer model as well. It is rated at 5.5 cfm@90psi instead of 5.8cfm. At any rate, for me, this compressor is probably more than I will ever need, but I wanted to get one larger than I thought I would need instead of the other way around. I got a 25' hose, a 1/2" impact wrench, and a few assorted small attachments (like an air gun & tire chuck) in the deal.

{{gwi:313595}}

• masiman

Rol-air and Thomas are both good manufacturers.

The decision for non-pro users becomes, will I spend half as much and hope I like the compressor enough and just buy a new one in few years when it dies, or do I spend alot of bucks now?

As long as it serves you well and lasts a reasonable length of time, the box store variety compressor can be a great deal.

• cranheim

adkinsca,
    I noticed the Husky you pruchased has a three year warranty. The Rolair I purchased has a one year warranty. I think this is because they are mainly used commercially. The one I have looks exactly like the picture on their website. It is very well made. In some of the write-ups I've seen on "Why buy a Rolair?", they say all the components are pre-tested, and they run a final test before shipping to make sure there are no leaks, the pressures are OK, and the current draw is normal. It has a large motor that runs at the lower 1755 rpm. I spoke with the tech support people, and they seem to take great pride in their products. I certainly expect it to outlast me. I never heard of Rolair until I began asking around for recommendations on a reliable compressor. I'm sure you will be satisfied with your Husky. Take care, Charles Ranheim

• art5910

I didn't notice any comments on breathing or water blow-out use. If you are ever going to blow out water lines or use the air in a confined place where you will probably breath some of the comptessed air ... oil machines generally have oil contamination in the compressed air even if you run it through a cleaner. Do not blow out your camper trailer water lines with anything that might put oil in the pipes you will be drinking water out of next year.

• den69rs96

I have both types. The oil filled is quieter and will last longer, but for the occassional user, I don't think how long it last will be an issue. Another thing to consider with oil filled compressors are where you store them. If temps get really cold, the oil can thicken up and cause problems.

I bought a cheapo UST 4.3 gallon unit for my basement to run my nail guns. I think the cheapo ones from china are not balanced that great, because this thing moves around. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I don't care though, its works when I need it and I only paid $69 after all the rebates from pep boys.

Now my craftsman 30 gallon oil less compressor is another story. I paid alot more for this unit. Its loud, but it can support all my air tools. It runs my nailers, air gun, air ratchet, and air hammer. It will run my die grinder, but the die grinder empties the tank rather quickly so the compressor is running constantly. I usually let it cool off after a few minutes so I don't overwork the compressor. When I bought this compressor I didn't think I would own a die grinder, but things change. I don't use my die grinder that often so its not much of a problem.

Honestly, whether its oil filled or oil less is not that big of an issue for the once in a while user. Making sure your compressor is big enough to run you most air comsuming tool is. Most people focus on oil filled vs oil less, but in my eyes cfm and the duty cycle are more important. It doen't matter if your compressor is oil filled but can't support your tools. Its not much fun waiting for the tank to fill so you can run you tools for about 30 seconds, then stop to let it fill up etc.

• cranheim

I found one interesting thing about the Rolair compressors after I purchased mine. There is a feature you can get that allows it to run continously instead of the starting and stopping being controlled by the upper and lower limits of the control switch. The reason for this is that it is easier on the motor to run continously than starting over and over in a short period. This could cause the motor to overheat. The guidelines say the motor should not be required to start more than 15 times in an hour. That would be every 4 minutes. At first, it sounded like it might be a problem for me, but after thinking about it, my compressor would not be starting more often than that in my applications. If I were to use a large quantity of air, it probably would not cycle off for a while (until I stopped using the air). If I used small quantities of air, it would not cycle on very often. My compressor has a 20 gallon tank with a working pressure of 115 to 135psi. I use a lot of air when I am blowing loose paint, and little air when inflating tires or using an air wrench. No matter how I use it, the motor does not get hot at all. Do other brands of compressors have this 15 starts/minute restriction? I would have to go out of my way to overheat the motor the way I use it. I like my RolAir very much, and would buy it again if I needed another one. Charles Ranheim

• rcmoser

I had an old Quincy, never had a problem with it till some A%%H&L% stole it. IMO Quincy is the top of the line in air compressor's been around for 70 years I think. If I wanted the the best money could buy it would be a Quincy QR-25.

• gregd

My sears oil free compressor is 13 years old now. It sees VERY occasional use. It has been trouble-free.

But it is VERY loud. If I were a regular air-tool user I would probably replace it with a quality unit like those mentioned above.

• tutrien

Oiled vs. Oil-less Air Compressors
    Air compressors draw air in with a piston. The air is then compressed into a storage tank. For maximum efficiency, the piston chamber needs adequate lubrication, for which oil is used. These are oil air compressors. However, in oil-free compressors, the cylinder is pre-lubricated (mostly with Teflon) for permanent lubrication. The Teflon coating protects the pump. That's the major difference. While oil compressors need regular oiling, the latter doesn't require any lubrication.

Here is a link that might be useful: aircompressormartguru.com

• the_0utsider

heads up for oil free pumps - do not store it outside. Even if in garage and only use it occasionally, watch for mud bugs (or whatever they are called) because they can get into the underside of the cylinder, they build a cocoon?? in my cylinder totally scoring it ruining the pump.
    I got an oil pump instead- being enclosed that wont happen again.

• airtoolguy

Well, I think each type of air compressors have its own strength. To read more on how to choose the best air compressors, this site is a good reference http://airtoolguy.com

• rustyj14

I worked in the auto-body and paint trade since 1953. Learned a lot about the equipment what to use, how big, what CFM. I learned that most any compressor will put out 100 lbs, more or less. I learned that for a job of painting anything with a spray gun requires a continuous level of air pressure, while using the spray gun. The air compressor has to put out enough CFM to keep the air line to the spray gun at the pressure that gun needs to atomize the liquid while spraying That said: Yes-you can buy an inexpensive, say 75-125 dollar compressor that advertises it will put out 125 lbs air pressure, but, if the CFM is low, it'll only be good for airing tires, or blowing dust off something. You'll do a lot of waiting for it to catch up on the air pressure, if you are painting anything large. I haven't read what "The air tool guy" Has to say. I'd be willing to bet that his comments may be like mine.

I had to leave the trade after they started using isocyanates in the paints. I'd go into wheezing and coughing fits, to where I'd have to stop in the middle of a paint job, and go outside for fresh air. Ya see, the paint companies didn't tell us at first, of the dangers of the new paints that had the isocyanates in them, and that stuff would go right thru the old mask filters. Independents, like the ones I worked for, didn't want to buy the expensive filters, etc. that was required, and it was five years later that we got info on the iso's , and how bad they were for our lungs! TMHO: Rusty Jones( I got so bad-if I stopped at the local gas station, and the paint shop across the street was spraying, I'd have to get my gas someplace else!

• romore_gw

Rusty, you make a good point. Volume (cu ft per minute) is as important as pressure. any compressor can build pressure but if supplied air does not meet demand it is not much good for the task at hand. Most painting needs around 40 psi but tons of volume.
    I worked in the aircraft industry for a few years, those paints were wonderful coatings but the poly-isocyanates made them nasty to deal with.

Jonhson

The compressed air inside the chamber possess a great amount of energy
    that depends upon the compression being applied. This energy can be
    used by releasing the air and utilizing it to perform a wide variety of
    tasks. http://thebestaircompressor.com

• loger_gw

My personal preferences for air compressors since experimenting and owning a Sears Cambel Hosfield 1hp Oil Type since 1972 (that is still working fine). Oil Type for Home Hobby and Shop use due to weight and higher delivery needed at times. Oil-Less for Handyman use on the go use due to less weight. Unless, in Roofers Etc situations with higher demand and longer run/time I would suggest oil.

Thanks for all useful comments, With over 80% of the customers who have purchased this product on this website being totally satisfied with it, there is no reason why you should not check it out. It delivers what it claims to offer and so much more here.

HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars24 Reviews
Loudoun County Distinguished Landscape Contractors | 4x Best of Houzz

Need help discovering your style?

Take Style Quiz