steve22802

How to build a trommel (rotary screen) compost sifter

steve22802

Hi friends,

I've occasionally seen posts on this forum regarding compost sifters so I thought you all might enjoy seeing this Instructable I published on the web today which shows how I build a small trommel to sift compost and leaf mulch from my city leaf pile.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Trommel-Compost-Sifter/

Your comments and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

- Steve

• toxcrusadr

Cool! I always wanted to make one of those and your design is great - rugged and simple. I want to make one as wide as my pickup truck so I can shovel it right in at the mulch site and have the woody chunks (ours has a lot of limbs etc.) spill out onto the ground on the other side, leaving the yummy stuff in the truck.

• steve22802

>> I want to make one as wide as my pickup truck
    >> so I can shovel it right in at the mulch site
    >> and have the woody chunks (ours has a lot of
    >> limbs etc.) spill out onto the ground on the
    >> other side, leaving the yummy stuff in the truck.

That's a great plan! Probably if you would make the drum about twice as long (2 - 36inch pieces of hardware cloth) it would be about right for going across the width of your truck. Take a buddy along to keep the drum turning continuously and shovel away! :)

- Steve

• robertz6

My sifter is a wood square and a screen made of 1/4" mesh hardware and two large door handles to shake it.

The sifter with the motor is great! The simple one shows imagination. I would not have thought of using bicycle parts for structure and drivetrain.