Shop Products
rsoby2112

Need advice on snow removal. Deere 345 w/ 42' snowthrower or plow

rsoby2112

I just bought a new house outside of Buffalo NY. The blacktop driveway is 600 feet long and opens up near the house with an upper and lower area to park cars. The parking area's have almost the same surface area as the driveway itself. I currently own a John Deere 345 with 800 hours that I use to cut the lawn with. I am wondering if a 42" snowthrower mounted on my 345 will do the trick? A few people I work with are laughing at me that the 345 Deere will never clear the amount of snow we get in the Buffalo winters. If this setup will not work then I will be forced to pay someone to plow. Does anyone have experience with this that can offer advise? Thank you in advance.

• tomplum

In Buffalo- I'd have it plowed. Yes, it can be done, but you might want to put off that decision until you go through a typical winter. With that being said, you may find your neighbors keep a snowthrower for clean up after the plow guy goes. It really depends on how the plow guy works. I had a plow guy in the midwest for 1 property. He would plow with the truck or tractor if needed, then do the walkways etc and I rarely needed to pick up a shovel. Others had guys that would plow only and they did their own walks etc. Quality of their work come into play as well. Does your schedule allow you do do the snow work?
    Remember too it also means more tractor wear, maintenance, the changing of attachments, installing weights, chains etc.

• gzec

Look at the surrounding areas. See how most people are doing it. Blower is an expensive attachment to be wrong!

• justalurker

"Blower is an expensive attachment to be wrong"... not a chance it's a wrong choice in Buffalo.

Your JD 345 will do a yeoman's job as long as you add a pair of wheel weights, about 4 suitcase weights to the rear, and chains and get at the snow before it's higher than you sitting on the tractor.

A blade would be a waste of money there, but the blower will work nicely. You'll want to watch the snowfall and get after it at about 10 to 12 inches.

I've been in upstate NY in winter and he who hesitates is buried so repeated snow attacks are the proper war plan.

Have fun

• jdgx335bill

Wow-haven't been on this site for a couple years or more! Anyway, I have a GX335 with the 42" snowthrower and mine kicks butt. That said, mine's an 03 with 20HP and only 200 hours, but I'm sure yours would be fine. Look for a used blower and good luck.

• bunnyman

No you don't need suitcase weights. You will want tire chains. I never had any problems with snow even if it was deep, packed down, and wet. Lots of blowing, drifted, lake affect snow around here.... never even challenged my 345. I moved up to an X485 for other reasons. Kept the 345 for a couple years just for the snow but parted when offered a fair sum of cash.... hard to justify two JDs for one guy! Way better then a plow truck in my opinion. Plows make huge piles of snow... throwers toss it further and spread it out so that it does not heap up. A buddy with a truck sometimes does a sweep up my drive but then I have to go knock holes in the piles for the propane man to fill my tank. Thrower does a fair job of getting up close... much better then a plow truck. I have back problems and avoid using a shovel for even small amounts.

My biggest problem was going to fast. The tractor will bounce leaving a washboard finish. Sometimes wished the front tires had more bite for turning sharp. Be careful around ditches and drop-offs... if a tire drops in you are stuck (pop hydro release and pull out with truck).

{{gwi:355598}}

• justalurker

You will want the suitcase weights along with the chains and if you can swing it wheel weights.

The chains are a must if the snow freezes at all. Turf tires are as slippery on ice and frozen snow as snot on a peeled onion.

The wheel weights will increase traction and the suitcase weights hanging off the back will counterbalance the blower which eases steering and improves traction on inclines.

• bunnyman

The 345 has power steering... no need to off load the blower weight. Those front tires need the load for steering. Works out really good as the steering wheel needs to be palmed while working the chute direction with the other. With a little practice the snow can be put exactally where you want it thrown.

I've had shovels, plow trucks, back blade, and a couple throwers. Far and away the 345/thrower was the best. Small enough to get in close but powerful enough to eat snow like it was made to do. I've yet to buy a thrower for my X485!?... this forum will get the first reports when and if. Hmmm... been wondering what to buy myself for christmas....

Other options that are really nice would be a ski mask and carhart snow suit. Maybe a slow moving vehicle sign in case you feel the urge to clean all the drives around you.

If a guy really needs more weight I advise two beers after work everyday until you have gained 40lbs. Worked for me... *hic*

How about a look at the other side of the machine... notice the dusting of snow everywhere but on the seat.

{{gwi:317538}}

• ducati996

wonder how the OP made out with his decision? seems like its been busy around his parts -

I would say his machine would be fine, if setup correctly like the others have suggested...