Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuartlawrence

Is my Weeping Purple Fountain Beech Tree dying?

Hey guys,

I have a 7ft tall Weeping Purple Fountain Beech tree which I bought at a nursery about 3 months ago. I planted it in a shaded location where it gets some some sun light at times.

It seemed like it was doing well till about a month ago when two branches on the tree died, some leaves look brown and some are discolored and chewed up.

The tree doesn't look full and the top of the tree hasn't grown any leaves. Is that an indication that the tree is dying? Should I replant the tree in a location that gets full sun?

Perhaps I'm not watering the tree enough? How often should I water the tree? We are currently experiencing a heat wave with temperatures in the mid 90's.

Any suggestion that you could help me with would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments (36)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hard to tell from the picture provided ...

whats your watering protocol .... have you discover how deep water is getting???

how did you plant..

what is your mulch

and .. transplants can drop leaves and releaf.... it does not.. necessarily .. mean the branches are dead.. though it is not a good sign ...

do NOT move it.. its already stressed enough ...

more info please and please review link ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ilovemytrees
    10 years ago

Just my opinion here, but any day that the temps are in the 90's is a day that I water everything in my yard, even if I watered the day before. For example, I watered last evening because it was 90 (and it was a miserable 90 at that, can't wait for the dew point to go down), and I'll do the same thing today. And since it'll be 90 tomorrow I'll do it then too. It'll be a drag because it's my son's birthday and the last thing I want to be doing is watering my vegetation. But my plantings depend on me too, and besides it's an investment in my home's curb appeal.

I'm in NY as well, and we're going to have this heatwave a little longer...

Newly planted shrubs and trees need more water as a rule anyway, for the first few years, it's a given; until they're established.

Trees are living creatures just like we are; we need more water when it's hot like this, why wouldn't a tree?

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. Here's a photo of my Beech tree.

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A close-up photo of the leaves

10 years ago

looks better than mine...

for a 3 month planted tree.. i dont know what more you want????

and i dont see any dead branches.... unless you mean the one on the left.. that might simply be shipping/handling damage ...and to me.. is irrelevant ....

frankly.. the first season.. all i want and expect.. is that it lives... i will worry about it being pretty in the future... should i get it to live that long ...

it looks pretty dark where it is planted.. how much full direct sun does it get ... in full dark shade.. a purple tree will tend towards green.. kinda defeating the purpose of buying the purple tree .... if sun is wrong.. replant it IN FALL .. not august...

and that looks like a shipping stake... i dont know how much good it will do... once planted...

your soil looks good enough that you might not even need a stake ...

i dont see the root flare ...

some mulch sure wouldnt hurt .... as well as a little moat.. so you can INSURE that you can get water thru the whole root mass ...

see how much more i can add with a pic...

have a great day .. and good luck

ken

• well_rooted
    10 years ago

A newly planted plant has to be frequently watered for two reasons that you might not have thought of. In hot weather the points below are especially important:
    1) the roots were stuck in a pot and will continue to be cramped until they reach out into the surround soil. Until those roots are out gathering moisture from the surrounding soil, they need pretty much the same amount of moisture they needed when they were potted and sitting above ground.
    2) The soil was dug, and therefore fluffed, to plant your tree. Solid packed soil holds moisture a lot longer than dug soil.
    So I am guessing that you have not watered enough.

• Andy Fotheringham
    7 years ago

I have a similar problem with my weeping beech. Tree was planted in May and immediately sprouted new growth and buds. But since early July it has looked somewhat sorry for itself and doesn't seem to be responding to watering or feeding with bone meal. I am not an expert so any help appreciated

Many thanks

Andy

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

As Ken said above, it's not unusual for transplants to look a bit rough their first season, but yours still has leaves and looks fine. Check soil in root ball for moisture, water when needed up to freeze, enlarge the circle around the tree and keep it mulched.

Can you see the root flare? Did you plant this yourself, and did you check out the root ball when planted for the condition of roots (circling, etc)?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

And skip any more bone meal :-) It doesn't need it and it doesn't help!

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    7 years ago

Yeah take that stake off, water as suggested and give it time to settle in. I have one that almost died in a freak freeze that we had a few years ago (they can take the cold, but it happened when we had not had rain, and many of us 'forgot' to water since we are unaccustomed to watering in Dec). The entire top died, it looked awful and I almost took it out. Instead I reminded myself to be patient ('tree time', as my arborist says), cut the top off and waited. It's growing back into itself. I think that yours will be fine and they are gorgeous trees. Beech need a lot of water. The good news is that once they are established, they will find it if it is available. Around here we are always counseled to do 'zone planting', i.e. plant all high water plants in one area, low water plants in another and set your irrigation accordingly. I do exactly the opposite with beech; I plant low water plants such as Acacia and Agave around them because I know that the beech is going to take all of the water. Even here, in my very dry summers, established beech do fine in full sun as long as they are hydrated, and I don't give them anything extra, knowing that they will go out and find it, even if it means 'stealing' it from the other plants!

7 years ago

doesn't seem to be responding to watering or feeding with bone meal. I am not an expert so any help appreciated

==>>> exactly what are your expectations???? ... maybe double in size.. in one year??? .. that is not reality in TREE TIME ...

never feed it again .. period ... its stressed not hungry ... if you feel something is lacking in your soil... then have it tested ....

chill.. relax.. it looks fine .. for what its been thru

ken

• Andy Fotheringham
    7 years ago

It seemed to be sprouting and budding and in rude health for a while - why would it get off to a flying start and then stop ? No-one is expecting it to double in size- I merely asked for some assistance - I don't need abuse

• PRO
    Form and Foliage
    7 years ago

Andy new transplants behave this way often. Beech are slow growing but once established are sturdy trees. This ine should settle in and be fine.

• Andy Fotheringham
    7 years ago

Cool - we had a lovely camperdown elm there which was around 18 years old and it died last year - I just wanted to be sure this was normal as I don't want to lose another. Thanks for your reassurance Cheers

• Andy Fotheringham
    7 years ago

Many thanks Stuart hopefully we will get the same outcome

• Logan L Johnson
    7 years ago

probably just some transplant shock, don't be worried.

• kitasei
    7 years ago

A heads up to look out for gypsy moth caterpillars in the spring. My weeping purple beech is the only tree they attack and attack they do. You can just pick them off, like Japanese beetles off of roses. If not, within a few days your tree will be defoliated.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"why would it get off to a flying start and then stop?" They haven't stopped; they are growing roots instead of top growth, but since you can't see that it can be worrisome for those new to gardening. Also, it is usual for woody plants to grow for a while each season and then slow down as the season progresses so that the new wood has a chance to harden off in preparation for winter as well as start forming buds for next season's leaves (and flowers in older plants). If they grew right up until cold weather, you would lose much of the new wood.

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I planted a weeping tri color beech in early spring. We are now in early August and it appears to have dies very quickly....I have been watering it Daily to try to bring it to life but it almost seems like it has dried and failed in a few days....please help...kevin

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago

HELPPPP!!!

3 years ago

you should probably start your own post... add pix.. and much more info ... including location ...

no tree.. even a recent transplant.. needs water every day ...

ken

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago

I’m on Long Island ny.....the nursery I bought it from told me to stake it because it was loose in the root ball....so I did that... I will add more pics...It has been real hot and dry off late...what other infor would you need....? I will add more pics.

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago

Root

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago

I started my

• HU-18465200
    3 years ago

A new post

• HU-481193563
    2 years ago

I have a purple weeping fountain and it was planted i early April it looked great for a while, now the leaves are brownish in color the nursery told me it 2-3 yrs old it gets plenty of water so please tell me what to do to bring it back to life thank you

• Andy Fotheringham
    2 years ago

Mine is in rude health 4 years down the line after similar concerns. Will be fine just needs to

• Andy Fotheringham
    2 years ago

Settle !

• Carrie Bearden
    2 years ago

Thanks for updating, Andy. I planted my tree last fall and it has done well until the last few months. The leaves are falling off, look like they have been eaten, and the buds that are on the branches are dried up. So, I’m hoping, after reading all the posts, that this is normal, it’s growing a great root system, and not to be concerned. Here’s hoping!!