Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ridgerunner14_wv

Why do my av's change colors?

ridgerunner14_wv
18 years ago

Hi: I have just recently found this forum and have a question. I have several av's, all noid's from Lowe's, Home Depot, and Wal-mart. I choose them for their health first, and then for their color and form. My question is this: not always, but often enough to make me wonder why, when the violets go into their second bloom cycle after purchase, they change color to some extent. Sometimes they might go from a light shade of pink or purple to a darker one or vice/versa. Sometimes I will start out with a variegated flower, and the second cycle will bring a solid color. Most recently, I bought one that was a light pink with white markings on the petals. Now it is a strong shade of violet with smaller white markings.

I know this might not seem like a big deal, but it can be disappointing. Mostly I'm just curious, as I think they are pretty no matter what. But I'd really like to buy with confidence that what I see when I buy is what I will end up with, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I use self-watering pots (that they all seem to love), and water with a weak fertilizer solution (Peters). They are all happily growing on windowsills, or a plant stand cose to the window.

I hope someone can shed some light on this situation. I'm also wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Thanks for your help!

Darleen

Comments (7)

• larry_b
    18 years ago

Hi Darleen,

Welcome to the world of hybrid violets. There are two things going on here. One is that environment can play a big role in what the flowers on a violet are going to look like. Hot, cold, fertilizer, type of light can all affect the color of a violet.

The second thing is that African violets can be very unstable, especially the bi-colored and tri-colored ones. Violets can be so unstable that when a hybridizer produces a new violet it must be able to bloom true through three generations of leaf cuttings, to prove that it is stable, before he or she can register it. Even with that it is not uncommon for a plant to mutate (called sporting) or revert back to an ancestor.

Even though your bi-colored violet has reverted to a single color don't give up hope it may bloom true for you after this. Just give it some time.

Good luck,

Larry

• farmerSK
    18 years ago

Hi Darleen and welcome!

All the things that Larry mentions are factors that play a role in the colour of blooms. Another thing that I have found makes a difference is the ph level of your soil and water. I noticed that a white/burgundy bi-colour was blooming more pink that burgundy and I began to add a small amount of vinegar to my water when new buds began to form. The colour is once again the original deep burgundy.

Hope this helps ..........

Joan

• ridgerunner14_wv
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Larry & Joan, thank you both so much for your responses. You've answered my questions thoroughly and given me some hope that my violets could indeed produce their original colors or patterns once again.

The variegated flower reverting to solid that I mentioned was a burgundy/white. It is interesting to me that when I started two plants from it's leaves, the new plants bloomed in the original pattern. They have not had their second bloom cycles yet, so I don't know what will happen then. The original plant died, so again, I don't know what would have happened with it.

It is interesting to me too that the water ph level could be a contributing factor. I had never thought of that. I don't know what mine is, but I use well water and it is 'hard'. How much vinegar should be used and could I harm my plants by using too much, or by using it if it is not needed?

This is all very fascinating to me! Thank you both again for your friendly and helpful responses.

Darleen :)

• nac_mac_feegle
    18 years ago

Wow! I am so confused. Everything I've read to date indicated not to add extra acid.

How much vinegar? Are you using a peat based mix? or a coir based one? Are you using a 1/3-1/3-1/3 type soiless arrangement?

Is the vinegar thing true for reds also? I'm looking for a really deep red (blue/red not orange/red) so I'm thinking that the burgundy rule may hold true for it.

It would be really great to have a way to keep the reds red.

Happy Wed,

Feegle

• farmerSK
    18 years ago

Darleen - there are kits to test ph although I've never done this. I use rainwater (melted snow in winter) to water my AV's, so this might make a difference. I usually add around 10 drops of vinegar to 4 cups of water. Apparently vinegar loses it's effectiveness if left to stand, so I try to use up my water immediately. I don't do this everytime that water, so used in moderation you shouldn't hurt anything.

I know all about 'hard' water, living in a rural area! I try to avoid using it on my AV's if at all possible. We use a softener salt which is produced from potash, so I can water my plants with it will no ill effects. In fact, some of my plants seem to thrive on it, but I still haven't the heart to use it on my AV's.

I love experimenting ......... so this may not be for you.

Joan

• farmerSK
    18 years ago

Hey Feegle! :-)) I find that adding vinegar (in doses as described in my previous message) makes for more vibrant colours - including deeper purples and more intense reds (if there is such a thing!). I do grow under lights which also makes a difference to the intensity of the colours. I guess what you do depends on whether your conditions are more alkaline or acidic.

For my potting mixture I use Schultz's Moisture Plus potting soil, vermiculite, and sponge rock (not perlite)in more or less 1/3 each combinations - perhaps a bit less soil. I guess - I was not made to measure! LOL! I also add some charcoal to sweeten the mix. My guess is my mixture is probably quite neutral.

I grow a lot of my AV's in Oyama planters and now I've started to use Dandy pots (which means wicking) for some of my semi's and mini's so my potting mixture has to be quite light. So far so good!

Once again, this is stuff that I do. I can't promise that it will work for everyone. I like trying different things. Right now I have Chantaspring and Optimara's Little Crystal wicked in little teapots. The holders that they're planted in are only about 3/4" high and about 1 1/2" across. I'm thinking of putting Always Pink in one as well.

Enough rambling from me - it's cold, windy and miserable out, so that's my excuse!

Joan

• nac_mac_feegle
    18 years ago

Joan,

So sorry that the SK weather is so nasty!! Here in sunny (ha!)southern ON it's quite lovely.

Thanks for the info. I'll try the vinegar with some of my new babies when they get to blooming size. The great thing about putting down lots of leaves is that you can try different things with the babies and not lose the variety.

Looking forward to experimenting,

Feegle

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES