FIND PROFESSIONALS
ridgerunner14_wv

Why do my av's change colors?

ridgerunner14_wv

Hi: I have just recently found this forum and have a question. I have several av's, all noid's from Lowe's, Home Depot, and Wal-mart. I choose them for their health first, and then for their color and form. My question is this: not always, but often enough to make me wonder why, when the violets go into their second bloom cycle after purchase, they change color to some extent. Sometimes they might go from a light shade of pink or purple to a darker one or vice/versa. Sometimes I will start out with a variegated flower, and the second cycle will bring a solid color. Most recently, I bought one that was a light pink with white markings on the petals. Now it is a strong shade of violet with smaller white markings.

I know this might not seem like a big deal, but it can be disappointing. Mostly I'm just curious, as I think they are pretty no matter what. But I'd really like to buy with confidence that what I see when I buy is what I will end up with, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I use self-watering pots (that they all seem to love), and water with a weak fertilizer solution (Peters). They are all happily growing on windowsills, or a plant stand cose to the window.

I hope someone can shed some light on this situation. I'm also wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Thanks for your help!

Darleen