Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathrynmcleod16

please help!!!!

Kathryn McLeod
11 years ago
I need any advice, suggestions, ideas or anything for this room. The theme is like a mix of Buddhist/bohmenian/hippie... Hopefully the pictures will show up this time

Comments (21)

• Kathryn McLeod
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks!
  • Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I like where you're going with this. Artsy and eclectic. I think I'd replace one of the mobiles with a cluster of hanging lanterns - very fun and super inexpensive.

Also, what about some candle lanterns? Indian or Moroccan style comes to mind?

Lastly, would you consider replacing one of your fabric wall hangings with a collection of mirrors? They're easy to find at thrift stores, garage sales and the like. They're a fun wall treatment when different sizes and shapes are grouped together. Very bohemian. You could even paint some of the frames in golds, plums, silvers and burgandies.

Good source for the lanterns: http://www.paperlanternstore.com/14ropapala.html
  • betsyweisberg
    11 years ago
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-bohemian-bedrooms-trek-effortlessly-into-style-stsetivw-vs~2670760 this idea book is a great place to start with your room. I suggest a pale/ white
    Wall color as a backdrop for those wonderful rich prints and colors.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    I was just about to post the same photo as betsyweisberg. The style is identified as "Jungalow"...a blend of tropical and bohemian:) Gotta love that fluffy white rug.
  • Kathryn McLeod
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much! I agree with you, Manon! I'm going for a really colorful theme and I love the mirror idea! I also agree that the mobiles are a bit too much.. I got them in India in 3rd grade along with the two fabric hangings so I wanted to find a way to put them together, but I like the lantern idea much better. Thank you so much!
  • mathomson5
    11 years ago
    Love the electic fabrics,but you can fold tnem at the end of your bed and still enjoy the layers of color. I like the Moroccan star lanterns for lighting -- to hang from the ceiling -- they are relatively inexpensive, come in multiple sizes, and unlike the lanterns pictures, do not take up valuable horizontal space. They also travel well when moving. Anthropologie catalogs have great looks to consider. Don't stop -- keep adding in, and then take away and store if you tire of something. Your style is emerging, and should be nurtured while considering flammability of the filmy fabrics from overseas, and the rattan furniture. Consider moving your bed to the left 90 degrees and tucking it into that extension if there is room. Leave the rattan chests directly under the window with a shelf to make a desk/table. Pick up the ends of the drapes (away from the lights) and toss over the curtain rod, making them into an overlapping valance for the blind. Add your other fabrics in layers on the window -- it does open, right? Or remove the curtains and tie around pillows for bolsters. I like how you used the cool, but vibrant green/blues to balance the warm color of the wood in the blind (pricey) but on this window the wood color dominates the room. You may want to consider painting the wall with the wood blind, a color like the wood blind -- a warm vibrant gold/tan like shelburne ? from Benjamine Moore -- and the same or deeper color below the chair rail, again only on that window wall. The rattan end tables would blend into that wall, giving you a slightly more modern look. If you chose this option, I would remove the purple curtains, of course. Or buy lots more. But remember, they are highly flammable!
  • fnstf
    11 years ago
    Really love the purple/teal fabric you have draped on the wall...A thought might be to keep the drape, but place it at the head of the bed- kind of a loose-focal-mock headboard idea. Very free-spirited,
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    What is that fabric on the wall with Mirrors, Is it from India ?
    you have a real splash of colours , I'd suggest you frame that fabric nicely and put it on a light coloured wall to bring the real beauty out of it
  • Kathryn McLeod
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you guys! And Vikrant, they're both from India! I got them when I wad in 3rd grade.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    They look lovely . plan a trip to India again and you can pick up stuff at unbelievable prices .
  • drabtofabdesign
    11 years ago
    I like the bold vibrant colors in all your fabrics. I'd paint either the bottom half or top portion a light cream (or whatever color the chairrail is!) to make the colors in your fabrics really pop. You also might consider finding some big cheap lamps from Goodwill and spray painting them a metallic silver. I could see that complimenting the fabrics really well. And like several other people, maybe display the fabrics that are up on the wall in a different way, like at the end of your bed!
  • Kathryn McLeod
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That would look awesome!!! Thank you drabtofabdesign!!
  • Linda Hahn
    11 years ago
    There are some beautiful pieces - like the pillows but because of the colours you loose focus immediately . . I would paint the background, walls, trim, change the blinds all to variou shades of white or light grey and have the colour in the accessories not the backdrop. . . good luck
  • PRO
    Linda Tomky
    11 years ago
    I would simplify the paint, remove the chair rail and go to one solid, soft color. What you have now competes with your beautiful things. If you simplify the paint and remove the horizontal line of the chair rail, it will allow you to increase the fabric on your windows both in height and width to create a more "grande" look. I agree with above, lose the wood blinds and add a heavier fabric on the window treatments and don't tie them back. Extend the rod and fabric and rod out beyond the window (into the nightstands) and add some tall lamps to the nightstands or the hanging lantern idea.

Take some of your fabrics and put them in shadow boxes and incorporate them into the mirror wall. Things fom India have "bling", so use frames that bring the metallics in, especially gold. If you like a lot of bling, spray paint your nightstands gold for some "pop".

You have wonderful things but you need to have some negative space so your eye can appreciate them...overall simplify and enjoy!
  • spmm
    11 years ago
    Try using a long square or rectangular (not round) strip of wood about half an inch thick, it is very cheap, comes in long lengths and has a rough grippy surface, cut it to a length barely less than the width of the fabric.

Roll the fabric over so the wood and staples (you only need these if it is heavy fabric or you are going for the very edge) dont show, adjust the length at this point as well.

Find the exact (weight) centre and put a small eye hook, or similar, into the wood, then you can hang it from a single point so it will be level. If you don't get the centre first time you can just move the eye hook slightly.

I have quite of few of these for fabric I have collected in Asia, they are like loose tapestries hung high up in the hallways and other rooms. Minimal damage to the fabric as well, you can just use blue tack or pins to tidy the folded edges away from view.
  • 1974pamela1956
    11 years ago
    Pull all the colors in with a comforter...and all colors in some art..use shadow boxes to display fabrics I use a painted or stained embroidery hoops and hang them on walls..you can get some for a dime at garage sales....use odd numbers of things
  • lorric
    11 years ago
    Couple of other thoughts - consider putting the lighter wall hanging on the ceiling over the bed like a canopy. You could put it over the pillow area. Take the curtains down, rehang them from metal rings hung from the ceiling at each corner of the foot of the bed. Also Consider reconfiguring your mobiles to one or two linear hanging with metal or glass beads or bells between the pieces. You could hang them from the canopy or by a door
  • 1974pamela1956
    11 years ago
    I am doing my new home and found something....using stencils instead of wall paper is a lot cheaper...looks great....and if you have low ceilings do all your walls a light gray then use a medium gray or white and make vertical stripes on one wall to make the ceiling look higher...gray is the new beige....and brown does go with black also...good luck to you!
  • tives
    11 years ago
    I would like to see the walls all the same color instead of the two tone with the moulding.
  • alohamama60
    11 years ago
    Too much of the same colour in the same places. All burgundy on the bed, green on the walls and then shots of purple with the fabrics. Need to mix up the colours and then throw in some neutrals to cool it all down.

FIrst thing I would do is change the comforter to one like this one at West Elm. Or anything that lightens and provides contrast for the other darker colours.

http://ab.weimgs.com/weimgs/ab/images/wcm/products/201211/0058/img65b.jpg

The wood blinds dominate the back wall and are not in a colour that works. Can you spray them a lighter softer tone? Or use bamboo tones like Mathomson5 mentions above on that window blind wall.

Take the filmy voile drapes from the sides and swag them over the rod at the top. They are too light and not wide enough to give the sides the weight a regular drape would have. It's hard to tell but maybe the mirrored piece would fit across the width of that window over the blind and then softly pulled up in the centre might give that window better scale or maybe made into curtains? (I know, it's devastating to cut such a piece!)

If someone could build or you could find a metal or steel frame of sorts to lift the rattan side pieces off the carpet it would give them the lift they need. Then a couple side lamps with some height would help. Or again as Mathomson5 notes turn the bed and use the tables as a way to make a desk (if there is room).

If you could get someone to wire a central fan in the room using a tropical looking style with blades that have a palm look that would be great.

I would try to remove the chair rail as it cuts the room too much. If not paint it the same as the bottom colour and remove the white. Or try to paint the wall behind the bed the dark green including the chair rail and leave the sides as they are, again painting the dark rail the bottom colour. Or try to add an additional element of bamboo or lauhala on the bottom part of the walls on the window blind wall.

Stick with either grey neutrals to balance some of the heavier colours or bamboo tones . Whichever way you go good luck. This room has great potential.