Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabear03

Leave these areas as-is or repaint something, but WHAT?

mamabear03
9 years ago
In a previous post: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/please-help-me-feel-better-about-my-cabinets-and-built-in-shelving-dsvw-vd~1358376
...I was upset that my kitchen cabs and built-in shelving was cream colored instead of the brighter White Dove I had requested. (No it can not be changed.)

Now I need do decide whether to learn to love it (I think I might be able to do that with time since some of you recommended that top designers use the "white layering" technique often) But when I brought it up to my builder he suggested that we paint the upper ledge/pot-shelf and the right side upper wall/triangle the gray wall color so that the whites contrasting next to each other don't appear so obvious since they won't be touching anymore.

I am thinking that doing his suggestion will take focus off of the fireplace wall and I don't want to do that.

What should I do? Please see pictures below...

Comments (26)

• sootsprite
    9 years ago
    Consider painting as he suggested, and painting above the fireplace in a little darker shade. Great looking fireplace!
    mamabear03 thanked sootsprite
  • acm
    9 years ago
    Um, I think your room looks great. Perhaps you're too close to this? Condolences on the stress of building!!
    mamabear03 thanked acm
  • kyky0374
    9 years ago
    Here's a suggestion!
    mamabear03 thanked kyky0374
  • mamabear03
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I like sootsprite's idea of going wall color on the upper shelf and triangle wall and then a darker color above the fireplace. There will be a large TV above the fireplace as well though. I also wonder if adding the light gray wall color to those upper areas will bring emphasis up there. I dont particularly love those crazy angles and especially that right side triangle wall, so I am wondering which is better to keep that triangle less obvious. I can not fill in that wall area above as kyky0374 shows as we are only a week from final inspection hopefully. So, Sootsprite's idea or just leave it how it is. ... I stink at making final decisions!

That mantle should be painted the same cream as the built-ins, right? Right now it is the bright white that the ceiling and baseboards are painted.
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    Ditto sootsprite. Follow the builders suggestion and paint the upper white. With the gray walls, the white will look whiter, like you wanted. Then, paint the upper part of the FP a shade or two darker than the wall color to accentuate it.
    mamabear03 thanked Darzy
  • mandy_moo_pants
    9 years ago
    You could also paint the inside of your built ins a somewhat dark gray to make the white seem whiter. Beautiful cabinetry work, by the way. Room looks great as is
    mamabear03 thanked mandy_moo_pants
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    Sorry I couldn't remove the white background behind the couch.
    Add a clock.
    put wallpaper in two end cabinets
    add selves to other two cabinets. add books or vases or picture frames.
    Add couch
    mamabear03 thanked myperfectadvice
  • dclostboy
    9 years ago
    A crisper gray may help the white to look less muddy
    mamabear03 thanked dclostboy
  • mamabear03
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Won't that upper right "triangle" wall stick out more if it is painted the gray color? I like the ideas though.
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    9 years ago
    I would not paint the triangle only the fireplace wall. Maybe mirror the back of bookcases so your eye goes past the cabinet color?
    mamabear03 thanked Craig CraigMDesigns
  • PRO
    Spaces Designed, Interior Design Studio, LLC
    9 years ago
    We suggest painting the fireplace wall. Great looking space!
    mamabear03 thanked Spaces Designed, Interior Design Studio, LLC
  • mamabear03
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like your ideas to add depth to the back of the shelves but I added bead board back there to tie into the front of the kitchen island so for now I'd like to keep it like that.

The fireplace wall is currently painted the side walls color. I can paint that darker though. If I paint the triangle and the upper pot shelf area the lighter gray wall color (instead of the bright white ceiling and trim color it is now) then the creamy cabinetry might look brighter. I dont want to emphasize the triangle and potshelf though. Maybe you won't notice it with the darker fireplace wall and the tv there though. I don't know!
  • mam1022
    9 years ago
    Nice room but agree with your builder to paint shelf and triangle in grey - right now my eye goes to the white triangle because it is a different color that other ceiling line.
    mamabear03 thanked mam1022
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- That triangle section is part of the same wall on the other side and should be the same color . Put a tone on tone white and cream wallpaper on the back wall of the book cases perhaps . Something that has texture with a dull and sheen combination suttle pattern . That will bring the focus there instead of that little section that is bothering you. I think what you have is going to be stunning when it's all done . Right now your judging the unfinished . Once you get your finishing touches in with décor accents and furniture and paintings etc. It will come together and be beautiful !
    mamabear03 thanked lefty47
  • ppatel412
    9 years ago
    Paint triangle and shelf same color as cabinets, they become less oblivious. Paint fireplace with dark color and create a focal point. You can paint back of the cabinets same as. Fireplace to tie them and widen your vision at lower level.
    mamabear03 thanked ppatel412
  • sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    I would not paint anything until you have all your furniture in and see what you have.
    I do not like that each side built in is not flush with the ceiling. Is your builder going to add a crown molding to the custom built ins?
    Also I hate seeing all the dust on your floor. Those floors should be covered if there is work going on. Especially if the floors are newly installed. I would go ballistic!
    mamabear03 thanked sunnydrew
  • Suzanne Martin Cable
    9 years ago
    Go ahead with all as originally planned and consider the off-white cabinetry an unsolicited "gift." It will all look BEAUTIFUL as it is currently proceeding. It is in your favor that with the light on it your CURRENT grey wall color is on the warm side and looks like it was chosen to be "paired" with the cream cabinets! NOW...having CREAM CABINETS, anything that is an "aspect of CABINETRY" should be painted to MATCH the CABINETS! That includes the POT SHELF, and it ALSO includes the FIREPLACE MANTEL - which serves to VISUALLY CONNECT the two BUILT-IN cabinets. (Any paint store can do an eye-match to a door or drawer face. Also, your cabinets appear to be "built-ins" - or meant to appear so. However, their design is "freestanding." So the builder needs to pull them out and TRIM OFF THE REVEALS (The overhanging edge) of the cabinet base TOPS - 1) right side of left cabinet where it meets the fireplace, 2) left side of right cabinet where it meets the fireplace, and 3) right side of the right cabinet where it meets the wall. Also above poster is correct about needing "fill strips where they meet the wall or pot shelf. (They do not meet the "ceiling" anywhere. So do NOT add crown molding!
    mamabear03 thanked Suzanne Martin Cable
  • PRO
    Eye 4 Color Designs/Paint Smart Studio
    9 years ago
    Ok, here are my suggestions. First, darken and go grayer on the wall color. Perhaps working with a lighter tone in the fireplace stone. This will help anchor the fireplace and make your creamy white look more white. Paint the mantel to match the off white color on the cabinets. I sometimes speck a creamy white for the trim as it tends to soften the white a little and looks less harsh than the white white, although the white dove is a nice bright soft white you might have to embrace the mistake a little. Pick an accent color to paint the wainscoting of the back of your cabinets, leave the shelving the white. Pick a color that works in your room and with your furnishings. Be careful when accessorizing the shelving. A controlled collection would be great. Something like Haeger pottery in blues and greens for an example or something more neutral with creamy whites. I would stray from family photos and haphazard accessories. Good luck!
    mamabear03 thanked Eye 4 Color Designs/Paint Smart Studio
  • sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    I meant to have trim added to make the units look more built in. Not a crown molding on the real ceiling but on the units themselves like this free standing unit of mine to help even out the top edges.
    mamabear03 thanked sunnydrew
  • Suzanne Martin Cable
    9 years ago
    I do have a question. Why was the "pot shelf" above the left hand cabinet not extended past the fireplace across the top of the right hand cabinet? Yes, it would be shallow, but it would have provided a much-needed symmetry around the focal point of the room - the fireplace! THAT is something the builder could easily do for you. It would allow you to paint the cream color there with some depth, and although shallow, it would be a great place for storing serving platters and trays! I'd personally lobby for that...! Be well. ;- )
  • PRO
    Time Travel Designs
    9 years ago
    First of all, I absolutely LOVE your space! You have done an excellent job in creating a perfect canvas for a cozy nest. Personally, I really like the color choice you have made BUT it is very understated so maybe not enough punch for you. If you need more visual interest, I suggest tonal variations pulled from the stack stone in the fireplace. You have a wonderful palette to choose from in that focal point. I have done a rendering for you to show the power of neutral tonal variation for an immersive effect. It can be extremely effective to highlight nuances in the architecture, too. Even a slight variation in tone or saturation (maybe one or two chips up on the color strip) can have an enormous impact. I will often use two to four colors for a space with very subtle tonal variation. The results can be really dynamic and will hold your interest for years to come! Great job...you have a beautiful home.
    mamabear03 thanked Time Travel Designs
  • Suzanne Martin Cable
    9 years ago
    Don't put any pots on your pot shelf, and the photo above will work out fine.
  • PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Something along these lines... we can print and install the art to fit the fireplace wall precisely with a very narrow brushed aluminum frame.
    mamabear03 thanked Laqfoil Ltd.
  • ashtonchic
    9 years ago
    I would add a pot shelf on right and paints shelves and mantle the cream color. Wall triangles should be wall color. Beautiful wall!!
    mamabear03 thanked ashtonchic
  • Janie Burton
    9 years ago
    Don't feel like you are the only one that this has happened to. We built our custom home 18 months ago. Our kitchen designer said we should choose Crystal White for our kitchen cabinets and massive built ins in the adjoining Keeping Room. Perimeter counters are black absolute granite and large island is marble. White subway tile backsplash and light gray walls with very white trim. Guess what? Crystal White has yellow undertones. Bad news. As soon as I can, I am having cabinets and built ins painted the same white as the room trim. I have really tried to just get used to it, but I can't. Hope things work out for you.
    mamabear03 thanked Janie Burton
Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner