coolplantsguy

Amazing photographs of Fritillaria imperialis, the Crown Imperial

coolplantsguy

To see some amazing photography of Fritillaria imperialis, the Crown Imperial, check out this blog:

Here is a link that might be useful: Imperial Crown

• kentstar

Nice pics, and really unique aren't they?
    But, I bet that field of crown imperials really smells close up! I hear that they have a skunky scent?

• coolplantsguy

The pictures took my breath away when I first saw them (thanks to Panayoti Kelaidis of the Denver Botanic Gardens for sharing the link on FB). I'm trying imagine myself there. :)

As for the odour, I believe it's really noticable when the leaves or flowers are crushed, although I would bet that one could smell them on a calm, warm evening.

• FrozeBudd_z4

coolplantsguy, thanks for sharing that with us ... NICE to see!

Terry

• tiffy_z5_6_can

These plants are really amazing in the gardens. They grow so fast in the spring when nothing else has broken ground. I have them in the hosta gardens. Mine are the orange ones. The colour just POPs!!

In regards to the smell, it is noticeable on days with no wind to some people but I barely notice it. The deers certainly don't like them. Not even a nibble. :O)

Nice photos!

• mmqchdygg

I planted 3 or 4 of them one year, and yeah, they smell awful. Being a 'fragrant garden' person, this wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Out they went. (But the pix are nice!)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN

What an amazing sight, thanks for sharing the pics.

• terrene

Very stunning photos, I enjoy seeing this striking plant in its native environment more than in a garden setting.