0

Osiria rose - slow grower?

Holly Kline

Does anyone else have an Osiria? Mine is fairly new and probably just fortifying her roots, but I've noticed she grows slower than any of my other roses. Have you noticed the same?

The blooms are totally worth it, just wanting to compare notes. Thanks!

Holly

• wirosarian_z4b_WI

Had Osiria for 4 years, never a vigorous grower for me. Mine was on multiflora rootstock & was a real nice big plant when I got it. Real nice flowers but small plant never produced many so shovel pruned it.

• susan4952

Have two. Both are slow growers and stingy with blossoms? Pretty rose, tho.

• kstrong

Mine grew backwards and eventually died.

• susan4952

LOLOL.

• shrey.jagma

Hi,

Here is the Information about Osiria Rose

Botanical name: Rosa 'Osiria'
    Other names: Rose 'Osiria', Hybrid tea rose 'Osiria'
    Genus: Rosa

Watch out for

Specific pests: Aphids , Caterpillars , Glasshouse red spider mite , Leafhoppers , Rabbits , Rose leaf-rolling sawfly
    Specific diseases: Rose black spot , Powdery mildew , Rose rust

Rosa 'Osiria' (Rose 'Osiria') will reach a height of 1.2m and a spread of 0.8m after 2-5 years.

Suggested uses: City, Cottage/Informal, Beds and borders, Flower Arranging

They were created by cross-breeding two types of roses, initially by hybridising hybrid perpetuals with tea roses.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a

And I was lusting over this one. Good to know that it's a bit of a dud.

• susan4952

This looks very little like my Osiria. Mine looks more like the ones on HMF. It is a beautiful rose.

• susan4952

Two on left

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian

Thanks for the info--my wife wants one--maybe I'll just get one bush. I'm going to make a 400 square foot bed in the front yard next year--any suggestions on other varieties to get--I'm already familiar with Love and Rosie O'Donnell.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a

Oh good grief, now I'm back to lusting. Really great pic Susan!

• susan4952

Thanks, Brittie. Even tho a poor performer, beautiful enough to garner a primo spot in my limited sun zone 5 yard.

• tigers33

I have this rose in Australia and it is a real stunner.I have had no problems with it healthwise or slowgrower etc.Blooms for a very long time one of the last of my roses to finish and a nice gentle perfume and wonderfull flower.

• RayC2016

This is my first time finding any info on this tea rose. I don't have one, but have transplanted)from indoors to out( a couple tea plants and have done well, here in Nebraska. I am wondering if this hybrid is not acclimated for these clim's. But they are being grown in upstate NY or Canada, so that's a plus I guess.

• Holly Kline

I did get one more spectacular bloom from her last week. I'm moving the bush to a sunnier spot and hoping that next year I'll see more flowers. :)

• seil zone 6b MI

I think this was bred as more of a florist type rose and those roses are fairly notorious for not being very good garden roses. Not all of them, mind you, but a majority of them. If you really love it and are willing to baby it along go for it!

• hugo23

does anyone have any information on where I can purchase an osiria bush in the usa?

• nastarana

Palatine Roses, a Canadian company which does ship to the USA, is offering Osiria for 2015. Palatine is pricey, minimum order three, but its' plants, on multiflora rootstock, are large and vigorous.

• bonsaimaster1

would anyone be interested in selling me this plant or maybe a rooted cutting. This rose just sold out and will never return at palantine roses. Please help me, i want one so bad!

• Holly Kline

Mine died after the harsh winter. Good luck with finding it!

• susan4952

A very fragile beauty.

• tuhinrah

Please, Known to me ----from where I collect Osiria rose Plant.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

check helpmefind's list of who may sell this rose:
    helpmefind osiria rose

• Marcelo Montano

where I can buy one .

• 'Tpooh Ladie

I've purchased my seeds on Aliexpress the onl thing i don't like is freezing the seeds before growing... it's a bummer to wait

• nummykitchen

Oh wow, just read why they discontinued offering Osiria at Palatine, I will count myself lucky since I purchased one Nov. 2013. Mine gives HUGE blooms and is more vigorous in my garden than I expected. I'm seeing little red leafbuds popping out so with fingers crossed I'd say it made it through our horrible Michigan winter.

Here are some bloom pics from last summer.

• Jerri Moore

Why do you have to freeze the seeds first and for how long can't i just plant them in the ground i am new to rose growing sorry lol

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Jerri Moore, this is an old thread. You might want to start a brand new thread to get better answers.

Exposing seeds to cold is called stratification; some seeds need it, others don't. It simulates what the seed would experience in nature. I can't help you with more than that. Some people say rose seeds need stratification, some people don't. It might also depend on the type of rose.

Another thing to keep in mind is that seeds from a hybrid rose won't be the same as the parent. Because of the complex hybridization of roses, they do not "come true" from seed. Only species roses (those found naturally, that existed before humans started hybridizing) come true from seed.