Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindmarie

Please help me pick out a kitchen back splash!

lindmarie
11 years ago
Our countertops are a natural concrete. The floors are bamboo. The cupboards are a mix of sage green and almond. You'll see the tile lip above the kitchen sink. I'm looking for something that will blend in, add some pizazz, and be easy to clean. Thanks!

Comments (24)

• lesliemahler
    11 years ago
    Can you obtain more of the tile from the shelf? That would make a beautiful backsplash.
  • lindmarie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks so much for the comment. I thought of that but thought it would be too overwhelming. You don't think so?
  • lesliemahler
    11 years ago
    Not from what I can see (but I'm not a designer). I'm sure one of them will chime in!
  • PRO
    Schreyer Construction Ltd.
    11 years ago
    I would suggest stainless steel back splash. It will give the kitchen contemporary look and the combination of white cabinets, bamboo floor will keep the overall look warm.
    It is easy to clean!
    Katarina from Schreyer Construction
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    I love the mosaic on your shelf too - I'd continue with that but inject some white to bounce the light around. Use a simple 4X16" high gloss white tile in a unique pattern (like herringbone, or chevron) then add randomly bits of the mosaic tile used on your shelf. It will tie it all together and make it look purposeful. Important, when renovating to make it look well thought out, and harmonized. Stainless steel tiles are very masculine - and, not that easy to clean - if you have a stainless fridge, you know what i'm talking about - you have to get special cleaners to keep them looking nice. Good luck!
  • bourquie
    11 years ago
    Hi,

I think if you install the tiles on all your backsplash it you will be too much for the eyes . What I did, I installed on the wall every 2 tiles, 1 tile like your tile lip above your counter. Above the Jen Air I installed a rectangular 8 tiles, 2 lines of 4x4 tiles.
    I do not know if it is clear. I am a French Canadian and my english is not too good.
  • PRO
    Jason Hudson
    11 years ago
    Heres another option that picks up the texture of the counters, called raindrop.
  • PRO
    Jason Hudson
    11 years ago
    Heres another option that picks up the texture of the counters, called raindrop.
  • PRO
    Jason Hudson
    11 years ago
  • PRO
    Mercury Mosaics and Tile
    11 years ago
    Of course we think Mercury Mosaics would look the best :)
  • bourquie
    11 years ago
    I should have said "every 5 tiles" instead of 2 tiles. Here 2 photos.

P.S: very nice Jason Hudson
  • margary
    11 years ago
    I think you have the right idea with your Chilli tile (on the bench). I would use red glass as a splash back, it is great to clean and always looks classy. As does you little tile, it would highlight all the neutral shades you have there already.
  • PRO
    Shraybronze ART RETREAT
    11 years ago
    well, for what its worth... am- sculptor/artist. so my ideas may not be your taste... we can get preety wild ideas sometimes...but, i love your combo so far. You have the strong masculine in cabs and frig, counters ext: ah, but then, the magic... you have the window over the sink. the green, the blue of the sky... the morning light that capture that rose - yellow. transparent

so
    i would go for contemporary stack-[stacked not staggered.] extra sized, subway tile- then, in the line 2/3erds up/ or 1/3 down.....
    i would put the best glass tile you can swing. 3 tall.

in a blue, and when you look again green, and then ...just when you think it blue- green, it can go from rose to grey on the top,its a glaze, picks up the [ grey concrete counter]
    its transparent-
    like the horizon line in the morning just before the sun is up.make sense? lol, artist, lol.

if not that, then again white [pure] white subway tile. and a glass tile, but this time, with the silver / stainless.... behind the glass..as in on the back of glass tile [easier to keep clean]. softer look then metal. Yet still, the has the general feel. have fun. sharybronze.com just another thought... you can go to etsy, and check out what the ceramic and art glass artist have. that way you could have one of a kind.
  • reggiem
    11 years ago
    Solid Glass Sheet (with color). Or large rectangular tiles in glass or cement, stacked.
  • PRO
    Schreyer Construction Ltd.
    11 years ago
    Look into the stainless steel costs and if too much, you can apply similar colour, or red-ish/ perhaps beautiful orange as mentioned above, on back painted glass.
    Many opinions, if overwhelming, just take a deep breath and stay with "it". It will come to you what to do .....
  • margary
    11 years ago
    Solid glass sheet with color behind.
  • bwenk
    11 years ago
    I know this might sound a bit strange but I have seen it and it is neat. How about SS in a subway pattern. If not then I would go with a glass tile in a milky white
  • PRO
    European Construction & Design
    11 years ago
    3x6 carrara marble honed would look good!
  • PRO
    PoshHaus
    11 years ago
    Stainless steel subway tiles, or white mosiac?
  • PRO
    PoshHaus
    11 years ago
    Love the pullout. Got to have a great pullout kitchen faucet! http://www.poshhaus.com/store/c/209-Pull-Out-Faucets.html?sort=priceasc&ps=140
  • Kelly Henry
    9 years ago
    Stainless steel sheets or tiles would be clean and fresh not too much
  • PRO
    B Fein Interiors LLC
    9 years ago
    A bigger picture would be very helpful, but barring that, it looks like the almond cabinets aren't significantly related to anything else in the space. For that reason, I would choose a hand made almond-colored tile. Grout a bit on the light brown side. :)
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    And... I thought Zaz ...
    Took ages
    This post is two years old
    Please please say you have chosen
    Your backslash .
    We at Houzz love pics
    Of the finished product .... :@)