Shop Products
kconley_gw

Banana plant care questions

Hi,

I just bought a house in Northwest Florida that has a banana plant in back. It currently has two suckers (I've expanded my vocabulary today reading about banana plant care.. lol), one is about 2 feet tall and the other about 10 inches. I'm not sure what kind of plant it is, the previous owner said he bought it at Wal-Mart.

I've read the first 3 pages of posts to see if I could find answers to my questions, but it's now late and work comes early in the morning and it only caused me to have more questions.

Here's my questions:

1a. Wintering - I read about people bringing their banana plants in for the winter. I've also read that the roots can go 5 feet deep and about 10 feet wide. Do you dig up the rhizome and cut off the roots?

1b. What's the best way to do this?

2. I also just found out today about USDA zones... I'm in zone 8... (I'm obviously not a gardener, but we all start somewhere. Do I need to worry about bringing in the plant? We did have frost on the ground just the other day.

3. If I do bring in the plant, should I separate the suckers from the main plant, or wait till spring?

4. The plant is in a location that doesn't get the best light, though it's currently about 6 foot tall. Should I worry about it, move it, or just plant the suckers form it in a sunnier location later?

5. The plant is also about 3 feet from the pool equipment and when working on the pool, chlorinated water gets pumped out onto the soil directly around the plant. Should I worry about this?