0

Four O'Clock blooms in the morning

ljpother
September 9, 2009

I've been disappointed in this plant because I have been checking it in the afternoon. All I found was spent blooms. The other day I was out in the morning and there were blooms. :)

• token28001

Yep. They open way past 4pm for me. I normally don't see blooms until after dark and sometimes later. But every morning, they're there.

• lgslgs

Mine bloom after they get let afternoon shade for about an hour (4 - 7 pm depending on what part of the garden they are in). They close back up in the morning once direct sunlight hits them (7 am to 11 am depending on which part of the garden).

I love having a big patch of them right near the front porch. Lovely for night time porch sitting.

Years ago I used to have one of those houses where the lower level is half underground. I had my office on the lower level and the garden outside the window was all 4s. As evening rolled in the incredible scent would come in through the windows. Nice for late work nights!

Lynda

• floodthelast

Check them around dusk too mine bloom twice a day if you catch them at it. I like them out front where it is shaded till noon then full sun. They can be tricky to catch but are so worth it. Also easy to collect seed from.

• Ricardo Brown-Salazar

That is exactly the kind of Mirabilis jalapa I am looking for. I have the kind that opens at 4pm and I want to have both in order to have flowers all day.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)