linda_centralokzn6

Ro Vaccaro Pacific Grove's Butterfly Lady has died

linda_centralokzn6

P.G.'s 'Butterfly Lady' dies.

Ro Vaccaro fell in love with Pacific Grove during a 1988 visit.

Ro Vacarro, whose 1988 visit to Pacific Grove transformed her into a champion of all things to do with monarch butterflies, died Tuesday after a long bout with cancer. She was 66.

Vacarro, known as Pacific Grove's "Butterfly Lady," decorated her Honda sedan and apartment with oodles of black-and-orange butterfly-themed items  from shower curtains to bumper stickers advising other drivers, "I brake for Monarchs."

"What a wonderful woman," said Pacific Grove Mayor Dan Cort. "She was the spirit behind the (Monarch Grove) Sanctuary and the power behind the maintenance and purchase of that land.

She will be missed. Had you met her, Tdog???

Here is a link that might be useful: More of article

Comment (1)

• tdogmom

I don't think I did but I can't recall...we had gone up to Pacific Grove's sanctuary in March 2006, the year I was really busy with Tifanny's cancer. I had run in and checked out their little Monarch museum and now I am wondering if she may have been the one who was behind the counter. The grove itself is small. Some of you veterans may remember the butterfly seat I had shared a picture of (now a similar one is being sold on KidsGardening.com