Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

One greenhouse is up!

kasha77
13 years ago

We were finally able to erect one of our 2 Harbor Frieght greenhouses last weekend. Just in time too- the weather's supposed to turn cold again in the early morning hour. (35*) Hubby is building a nice garden house onto this one, and it will even be air conditioned! I might throw a cot in there and spend the summer :)

Don had to clear a few small trees. Not too bad for a guy who's 60! He's not afraid of heights!

{{gwi:462181}}

{{gwi:462182}}

{{gwi:462183}}

{{gwi:462184}}

{{gwi:462185}}

{{gwi:462186}}

{{gwi:462187}}

Comments (28)

• rednofl
    13 years ago

My friend put one up here in windy Fl and the first major storm just about wrecked it. You may want to strengthen or at least add more reinforcement clips to the panels.

here is a link we found helpful

http://hfgh10x12.blogspot.com/2007/08/part-five-modifying-frame-for-strength.html

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Kathy
    that looks really nice, it will be full before long
    Congratulations

Elizabeth

• rmbill
    13 years ago

Kathy,
    You will get great use out of the greenhouse. I've had mine for the past two seasons and the only problem that I had initially was not enough clips on the plastic so I bought a package and nothing else has ever happened since. I saw clips at the local Harbor Freight the other day but I had to order them when I got mine. You will love it. Make sure you open the doors and vents when the sun is shining as it heats up really fast. Enjoy.
    Bill

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Enjoy!

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Nice! You so deserve it!!

Spring is so close!

Keriann~

• maile_2010
    13 years ago

Very nice Kathy.
    So nice to see the ground in your pics. We just got another 8" of snow Tuesday nite. 90% of the snow was gone.
    Jerry

• kathi_rogers
    13 years ago

Congratulations Kathy! You so deserve it! And to have such a handy hubby who supports your addiction as well - it doesn't get much better than that!

• chena
    13 years ago

Good job!!! Congrats!!

Kylie

• Patsey Nelson
    13 years ago

Congrats Kathy,
    I am so proud of you. Are you going to use one greenhouse for cuttings and pottings and the other for finished plants or use both of them for everything?
    I used my sunroom like a greenhouse this winter. I had so much fun but I had it so full.
    Keep going and you will prosper!
    Patsey

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

Looks great. I know you will love having a gh. Those first pics look scary LOL! He must have good balance! I don't even wanna tell you what happened to one of my great uncles when he was trying something like that.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the congrats! I am so excited! Today I organized most of my brugs inside the gh, cuz it's supposed to get down in the 30's tonight and for the next week. What a change from the 50-60* night time temps we've been having. Hubby plans to reinforce everything with galvanized pipe, and with self tapping screws and rubber gaskets for the lexan panels. He used to erect commercial greenhouses for a living, so he's aware of the modifications needed. Today I wouldn't let anyone help me bring in my brugs- I have to have everything in alphabetical order to keep inventory for my new e store. It's a little overwhelming, but I'm up for it! :)
    Here's the latest pics-

{{gwi:462188}}
    {{gwi:462189}}
    {{gwi:462190}}
    {{gwi:462191}}

Patsey- I'm not sure how I'll use them, right now they're in alphabetical order, I have a garage full of brugs that I couldn't fit in the gh! I'll figure it out when the 2nd one is up! He's starting to work on it this weekend.
    S J N- you should have seen him cutting down the 67' oak tree-

{{gwi:462192}}
    {{gwi:462194}}
    {{gwi:462195}}
    {{gwi:462196}}

• maile_2010
    13 years ago

Your hubby has more balls than I have and I cut down a lot of trees at my cabin in northern MN. Please be safe.
    Jerry

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jerry, he's never been afraid of heights- he used to climb trees as a kid!
    kasha77

• Patsey Nelson
    13 years ago

Don't stop now girl, you are on your way.
    Give your hubby a hug from me. We are so fortunate to have hubbys to help with our ventures. My hubby was a commercial pilot all his life, never had time for hobbies. His boss told him one day they had filled a 75,000,000.00 bankruptcy. Guess what goes first, you're right airplanes. I was doing quilting, he said he could help, now he does all of it. Ha!
    Bet he never thought that would happen. He says he went from jet jockey to doing quilts for little old ladies.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Kathy, your brugs look great! I am so jealous :)

I would just sit in there for days! hard to believe that was all in your basement!

keriann~

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Patsey- My hubby is an awesome man and my very best friend! He is so supportive in everything I want to do. So self sacrificing too. He has 2 MGB's in the garage that he's been wanting to finish, but he puts me first! That's a great story about your hubby! Go figure! :)
    Keriann- did you see your plants in there? The ones on the far left table! They will really take off now! It was close to 100* in there today and they seemed to love it! Not one was wilting. I put my sown seeds and a few seedlings in there to help them too. I use a nice little milk house heater to keep it at 60* at night. I love my green house! I was in shorts and a tank top today! Already have my summer tan from 4 days of being outside! :)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Woo Hoo Kathy! I cant wait.

Summer tan already, we got another blizzard today! I am SO over it! My tulips and bleeding hearts are coming up already so I am holding onto that through the snow. : (

Keriann~

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Congratulations Kathy!!!
    Your greenhouse looks great!

Karen

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! We've started the second gh foundation today but had to quit because it's going to rain. pooh!
    kasha77

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Whoa Kathy, that man of yours is something else climbing that super tall tree! Love your GH and all your plants in there, and am happy you are in the brug business.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Eloise! Yes, he sure is something! He helped me create a new flower bed- 6'x25' in about an hour yesterday! Would have taken me hours by myself!
    Hey Bill- got a question for you- last night it got down to 38*. The gh was only 10 * warmer, much to my dismay. How do you heat your gh? I use 1 - 1500w utility heater. At this rate, I'm going to have to change something before winter arrives! I am not going to send my brugs back to my basement!

• maile_2010
    13 years ago

Kathy,
    How big is your GH? 8' x 12'?
    I am looking at a 6' x 8' Poly-Tex-Multi Line Silver for $500.00 delivered.I am not looking to use during the winter, heating cost would not be economical for Z4. Just want to add 2 more months of growing in the spring and 2 in the fall then the brugs will be put back into dormancy.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

• rmbill
    13 years ago

I bought a Propane wall furnace from tractor supply. It is 30,000 BTUs, I think. It has a thermostat for the heater and also the internel fan. They also have them at Harbor Freight, at a little better price. It has a base that can be used to set it on the ground instead of mounting it on a wall. It works really well. I keep it set on the lowest setting (#1 ) which lets it go down to around 55 deg. because I'm cheap. When it gets down in the low teens it can use a 100# tank in a week.
    Your stuff looks really nice, Kathy. Great job.
    Bill

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bill- I was just searching for heating methods for my GHs- I woke up to 48* temps inside it today. Panicking, I've been online all morning. Bill- can I ask you- do you also have some kind of solar cover for winter? This is all brand new to me and I want to be ready. I might need a shade cloth if I decide to use it in the summer too. Any help /references from anyone right about now would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much everyone!

Jerry- I saw a nice gh at Lowe's the other day- I think it was a 6x8' with very nice metal pipe framework construction, heavy woven mesh fabric (kind of like a tent) with velcro closures and fabric windows- around $200.00? Sorry I didn't pay more attention. I don't know if you have a Lowe's there, but you can order online. Great store!
    kasha77

• rmbill
    13 years ago

Kathy, I don't use my greenhouse in the winter as it is much to cold here. I start using it around the first of March. That was much to early this year as cold as it has been. As you know, I froze a lot of stuff when I unexpectedly ren out of propane. Lots are coming back slowly. One thing I must warn you about is to get a couple of small fans set up immediately as it will overheat your plants in short order when the sun starts shining. I found a nice little fan that was just right at ACE hardware. About $12.00, I recall. It can go to 120 deg. or better really fast. Also, you need to circulate the air to keep it from getting stale. Keeping the oxygen level up is very important. I,m afraid I don't know anything about solar blankets, but it sounds like a good idea. It would probably save on the heat bill. I'm sure you will get it right soon. Good luck and nice job.
    Bill

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jerry- yes, it's 10 x 12'.
    Bill- what's the name of the propane heater are you using? I looked for it at both places and could't find it. Is yours vented? Hubby wanted me to ask if we have to use a vented propane heater, or can we get away with an unvented one? We have an unvented fireplace in our home- when we first light it, you can smell carbon monoxide, then the smell goes away. (we have a tester, don't worry! ;) Don't know if plants can take that or not.
    I was just telling him that we have to have a lot of air circulation. I took off a long back panel and stuck a large window fan in there plus I have 4 vent windows in the roof. It did get up to 100* the day I went for a walk in the woods- but I quickly opened everything back up and watered everything, and the temps came down to 80* very fast. The Angels didn't seem to mind, for just a short while. I will get the automatic windows that open when it gets hot and close when temps drop again. Thank you all for your excellent advice, sorry if I seem such a newbie (I am!) But I'm so willing to learn all that I need to. You are all great encouraging folks and I appreciate everyone of you! :)
    kasha77

• rmbill
    13 years ago

Kathy,
    Tractor Supply and Harbor Freight take them out of the stores for the summer but I am sure that you can order them. They will have them before cold weather again anyway. My furnace is a "something or the other" Glow. I don't remember exactly. It isn't vented and it did a great job the last two years. I saw the automatic vent openers on the Harbor Freight site. I think I'll have to get them, too. It sounds like you have everything under control. Keep us posted. You are a lot more dedicated than I am so I expect to learn a lot from your efforts.
    Bill

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bill- I don't feel like I have "everything under control!" LOL! But yes, I will learn enough so I can be successful. I have too many brugs that depend on me, I can't let them die. Your advice has been fantastic, I can learn from your experiences. I'm so glad we can use an unvented propane heater, we are looking at several right now. Thanks so much and best wishes on your brugs coming back from the dead! ;)