Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ardthree

Need ideas for redecorating this room ...should I paint the oak wainscotting?

ardthree
11 years ago
We are looking to redecorate our family room in our two-story, traditional suburban home built in the 90s. We have orange-hued oak wainscot halfway up the wall all around this room, including the windows, and oak crown molding. We need new flooring (carpet or extend hardwoods?) new furniture and are even considering built ins on either side of the fireplace and perhaps painting the paneling a creamy white to match the trim in the rest of the house. Don't know if this would be a good idea or not. People say the oak grain shows and will look bad, and I've also been told to gel stain it darker. Would really like to change it, I also need to refinish my hardwood floors, in the house, near this room and right now they are the same color. The only other room in the house with wood trim is the kitchen near this room, which has those fabulous oak cabinets as well. Help!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Hello ardthree. If you want an udated but still traditional look, I recommend painting the wainscot and trim in a creamy white - Ben Moore's Linen White is good choice. Just have to prime the wood (I think an oil based primer) first so that you get complete coverage. Paint experts - true?
    My only concern is that there may be not enough contrast between the wall color and the trim/wainscot afterwards. But as I look at wall with the white door, it should be OK.
    I would also do all hardwood rather than carpet - better investmant value should you ever sell.
  • PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi Ardthree, I have clients who just did a similar project, floors, built-ins and painted oak on their existing cabinets. We talked about the grain and they wanted the lightness, we went for it anyway. I don't mind seeing the texture, personally but you should know what it'll be like- so I'm attaching a photo.

I would love to see all the trim painted as well, or dark gel stain sounds good, too. Both will freshen it up.

I think the scope of your project is large enough to justify a designer- even if only for a comprehensive consult. I hope you collect tons of good advice on here, pick what you like and present it all to someone who can look at the whole picture in person and help you make the perfect selections based on your criteria, it's a big project!

Here's a photo of painted oak grain. Best of luck! -Shannon
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Lots of work but can be done. Clean all surfaces to be painted with TSP (tri sodium phosphate,) rinse/wipe with damp rags, dry, lightly sand, prime (Kilz or similar product) then paint two or more coats. I've done an entire commercial business this way - took 6 weeks but turned out well. Shortcut might be at rustoleumtransformations.com. I understand the product works for all kinds of wood surfaces.
  • ardthree
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone! I agree the room is so boring, its been this way too long. Shannon, thanks for posting the paint pictures, the grain doesn't bother me showing through the paint, that is so helpful to see. I was thinking of hiring a decorator too, but thought I'd get ideas here first.
  • PRO
    ALLDECOR Home Staging & Design
    11 years ago
    Since you have existing painted doors in a neighboring room - Yes I would paint the trim white (door, crown, window, baseboard and wainscoting). If you want a more modern look you can remove the wainscoting, but most-likely there will be some wall damage to repair. Paint the trim white in the kitchen also. Slightly off topic – I would also paint the trim over your fireplace and the fireplace brick. Add matching built ins on either side of the fireplace (if it’s in the budget) or free-standing matching shelves. Move the sofas closer to the fireplace and place a console table behind the sofa which is facing the kitchen. Yes new furniture would be nice and add accessories, art and cushions. Continuing the wood floors into the room would be nice also, but can be done later - budget dependent. The floor will be tricky to match so I suggest staining unfinished wood floors to match the existing floors in your kitchen and hall area. You might be able to remove the wall to the kitchen if you want an open concept design ...the possibilities are endless. Good luck.
  • ardthree
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    New furniture is something we are planning too, both the furniture and the carpet need replacing, that is actually what started the idea for painting the wood. Would love to take the wall between the kitchen and this room out, but that is definitely not in the budget unfortunately.
  • PRO
    Christopher James Interiors
    11 years ago
    Definitely paint out the oak chair rail and window surrounds to match your baseboard and other trim. This will give you a cleaner look and updated look. If you're going to go for it I would also continue with painting the cabinets in the ktichen as well so both rooms flow nicely. Start with that and it will make a world of difference. Also consider painting over the brick. Then it will be time to change out the furniture :) See what happens when you start!? Good luck and would love to see some pictures after you decide what to do.
  • Beth Morrow
    11 years ago
    Absolutely paint that oak! Make sure your wood is cean, then prime, then two coats of paint. Oil base will give you the best results, but you will not regret the facelift that this will give your beautiful home. God uck!
  • nycsd
    11 years ago
    How about a nice gray and contrast white wall? Update a traditional look. Agree to paint the kitchen cabinetry as well.
  • tives
    11 years ago
    To me the biggest design dilemma here is the television competing with the fireplace. If that is the only place for the tv you could add built in shelves around the fireplace and have the tv mixed with books and decorative pieces. I also agree with everyone that said to paint the wainscotting (because it sounds like you really you want to) and extend the hardwood floors into the living room. I also agree with Vikrant that you should add some pizazz with pillows! Try not to be so perfect and matchy matchy and the room will be more fun!
  • Beth Morrow
    11 years ago
    Lol...sorry about all the typoes...iPad+late at night =lots of mistakes:)
  • PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    11 years ago
    You might look into cutting a large opening in the wall between rooms that you ultimately want to remove. It's not too costly, and won't take long and you may really love the open feeling without removing the whole thing. Good luck!
  • PRO
    KILZ Brands
    11 years ago
    Hello! How did your project turn out? Please let us know how it went, we always love to see before and after photos! If you still need assistance, please don't hesitate to ask!
  • lindasells64
    5 years ago
    I too would like to know if my oak paneling should be painted in a light cream to brighten our small living and dining area. it is real oak so we have avoided this decision for 28 years. I hope it is ok to ask a question on your post.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

linda, start your own post. this one is 6 years old.