Shop Products
ardthree

Need ideas for redecorating this room ...should I paint the oak wainscotting?

We are looking to redecorate our family room in our two-story, traditional suburban home built in the 90s. We have orange-hued oak wainscot halfway up the wall all around this room, including the windows, and oak crown molding. We need new flooring (carpet or extend hardwoods?) new furniture and are even considering built ins on either side of the fireplace and perhaps painting the paneling a creamy white to match the trim in the rest of the house. Don't know if this would be a good idea or not. People say the oak grain shows and will look bad, and I've also been told to gel stain it darker. Would really like to change it, I also need to refinish my hardwood floors, in the house, near this room and right now they are the same color. The only other room in the house with wood trim is the kitchen near this room, which has those fabulous oak cabinets as well. Help!