FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

mystery_gardener

Jack in the Pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum)

Mystery_Gardener

Jack in the Pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum) is an interesting and easy to grow plant that can survive almost anywhere in Canada (as low as zone 3).

Blooms first appear in mid spring and continue into late spring. The spathe (pulpit) is most often green streaked with purple. Sorry, currently no photo, hope to remember to take one next year.;-)

Early summer produces a very cool seedhead in the form of a brilliant green coloured cluster about the stem.

{{gwi:540829}}

{{gwi:540830}}

A couple of months later they have transformed to shiny red or orange bunches.

{{gwi:540831}}

Well worth trying in your garden as they provide a very long period of interest and beauty.

Cheers,

MG

• simcan

Great suggestion, Mystery. I don't think enough people use plants like this, though just about everybody has a darkish, moist corner where a few would flourish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful site re: Jack

• jroot

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of a huge Jack in the pulpit that I had at my old house. I really should get some here. I definitely do have some darkish moist corners, and even a cedar bush to help.

• brenda158

That reminds me to beg some seeds off my neighbour.

• carc

I thought they were an endangered plant species? I have a cabin in the West Quebec Gatineaus and they grow by the creek on my land, in semi darkness - but I also have Clay Pipes, also an endangered plant (according to my little book of Canadian wild flowers). I purchased from a nursery something called rarum italicum (I think) that looks like a Jack-in-the... and grows in the same conditions.