Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casper8

builder can only do stacked 12 x24 tiles in front hall, not staggered

casper8
11 years ago
My new home builder can only do stacked 12x24 tile in front hall floor.
I wanted staggered but apparently there are problems post installation
with that option so customers have had to sign waivers saying they know there could be problems. very dissappointed

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    What exactly does he say is the issue post installation? Are the floors uneven? The tile bowed? I'd ask for more information, and get an alternate opinion.
  • charliemycat
    11 years ago
    I agree with Wow. Are you saying they won't do a running bond pattern design? Please clarify? It sounds like he wants to do a grid pattern because it's faster and cheaper. What "problems" post installation is he talking about? You need more information.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- This does'nt sound right to me. Go over his head and make issue of it. A house costs alot of money and you should get what you want . If they have lazy or unskilled tile trades then see what allowance he will give so you can get your own tile trade to do the job. Ask questions from a good tile retailer and see what they can tell you just to be better informed. Good luck with this.
  • casper8
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback. I think they are being lazy. I'm going to get what I want so I'm going to talk to them.
  • PRO
    World Contracting LLC
    11 years ago
    it may not be a matter of lazy...

a running bond is easier to run than grid IMO because there is more of a tolerance for error

this may be a matter of inexperience on the installers part one way or another.

I agree with getting an allowance towards a more qualified installer.
  • colorblind00
    11 years ago
    I ask our builder to tile our backsplash, subway tiles, in grid and they demand $400.00 extra for it. Our kitchen is 10 x 15' . I find it excessive. Am i wrong?
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    11 years ago
    Not enough information to judge. Number of sq. ft of tile,backing surface, material cost, sub's cost + markup, changes = adding elec box extensions, tile backing material, labor,ect. Just get a signed job order for the change with the specific of the project. Even if it was a small square footage I'd charge more than that just to do the paperwork, supervision, and warranty the job.
  • colorblind00
    11 years ago
    CHPC, I'm not sure about number of sq ft, but staggered or straight, it should remain the same. Same material, same everything else, only staggered. The 400.00 is to add to the price already paid for straight line. Our backsplash goes around 3 sides of kitchen that is 10 + 15 + 10' minus 32" fridge minus 42" window and fr counter to under cabinet. I believe in paying more for skilled workers but I would appreciate your professional opinion about the difficulty between laying straight vs staggered backsplash tiles. Thank you.
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Excellent advice by World Contracting.

@Casper - If you already have the tile on site, you should check to see how much "cupping" exists in the tile. As WC mentioned hold two tiles with the finish sides facing each other, then hold them up to the light. (Looking at edges of the tile at the light passing through) You need to try this with tiles from several boxes, because its not uncommon to find a certain percentage of cupped ones in each batch.

Secondly, if your tile is rectified then it will pronounce the lipping even more because the edges are so square. If you increase the grout width the lipping will be less noticeable, but the look isnt as nice.

I actually think running bond is *more* time consuming because you have to pay attention to both *rows* of tile (in the staggered direction). I agree there is more room for tolerance, but its easy to tell how accurate the rows are by placing a long straight edge/string line across the alternating rows. If a client does that, it had better be straight! :)

@Colorblind:
    I've found that staggered install is more time-consuming than straight laid, and there tends to be more waste too. Every tile installer I've known charges more for staggered and any other non-straight pattern. As for the $400 up charge? Hmm.. that works out to approx $8 PSF more. What is he charging you for the straight laid tile, and what does it include? (Type of backer, demo, sealer etc)

Steve
  • colorblind00
    11 years ago
    Thank you Steve for your answer. We're rebuilding at 150 PSF as baseline. Anything different has mark up.
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Do you mean $15 psf for the straight laid? If so Im presuming that includes backer etc. does it also include edge molding installation? (like pencil mold)
  • PRO
    World Contracting LLC
    11 years ago
    i think they mean $150/sf living space for all trades & all finishes

lets hope the installer knows TCNA guidelines
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Ahh....that makes more sense now!