Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisond

how to best soften industrial

Alison
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I am building a house and will be having concrete floors and lots of glass, I am also going to bring in some of the galvalume from the exterior to one or two interior walls and probably incorporate it into the stair rail with glass... I am going with white on the walls and 8 foot ceilings I was thinking white kitchen cabinets but I don't want them to look either A) like they are from IKEA (yes IKEA can be great for lots of things) or B) keep the place looking too cold... SOOOO if I go with white cabinets (it is just one wall of cabinets with full fridge and freezer, and dishwasher (no counters except for the island) how can I ensure they don't look cheap and then how would I bring warmth into the space or do I axe the idea of white and bring in wood to warm it up? Sorry about the sketch... I am waiting for revised drawings... There is not much space on the window wall for galvalume but was thinking it might look great when entering the house because there will be a 3 foot panel on either side of the front door so walking into the house it would mimic the exterior... I suspect it might also go on the door to the side deck too... but I am open about that

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    I would paint an accent wall in your kitchen a fairly dark warm gray. White cabinets will be fine if they are very contemporary in style. Otherwise I'd go for maple cabs. Add some open shelves in kitchen for that cool casual look. Paint one wall black in a different room where you have lots of light coming in. A coral wall in laundry would be fun.
  • Alison
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Carolyn.. I am trying to download a floor plan but no luck... do you think the grey wall would be ok if one of them was galvalume or would that be too much grey? I was originally thinking for the cabinets a horizontal cut of like a tiger wood look for the cabinets but that might limit my counter top choices...
  • Alison
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    partial house plan... waiting for revisions from designer
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    The gray wall should work beautifully with the galvalume. Keep most walls white, but accent walls will add interest.
  • PRO
    Daniel Moran Architect
    11 years ago
    An accent color is grea idea. Maybe the island cabinets and the wall of cabinets are the accent color you are looking for. Instead of white cabinets pull a color out of the countertop. Are the appliances stainless steel? The cabinet wall and island cabinets are major elements in the space, I think you should play them up, not blend them into the white background.
    Anyway you could get 9 foot or higher ceilings? It will make a big difference and make the space feel more industrial, which sounds like what you are after. If so, take the cabinets to the ceiling.
  • Chandani
    11 years ago
    I love the idea of using a really interesting wood - something with a lot of veining and colour variation for the cabinetry to add contrast. I'm picturing acacia or reclaimed wood....though it might not be the look you are after. I'd love to see pics of your space when it's complete.
  • Alison
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks for all the comments (and pics!) I am not able to go higher than 8 foot walls due to height covenants.

Chandani - If I were to go with a more interesting wood for the cabinets would I then do a plain counter top? I will also be having polished concrete heated floors so perhaps the wood would work well...

Daniel - the appliances are stainless - I like your idea of making the counter and cabinets more of a feature... my concern is creating a look that becomes dated... what are some of the pitfalls I should be aware of to avoid that?

Mint Design - there are only cabinets on the back wall, floor to ceiling... drawers on either side of the dishwasher. My view is incredible and I want to have the stove and sink in the island facing the view... Why will this set up be noisier than any other? I can't put my office in the sitting area... I would never leave my desk I have a home based business and really need separation. And there are engineering issues as we are building on a cliff that makes moving some of the walls very difficult
  • PRO
    LakeandMountainHome
    11 years ago
    Hi. A great way to soften industrial is to add fabrics, furniture and accessories that will soften the hardness of the lines and will add color to a neutral palette. You might want to consider a reclaimed wood table which is a fabulous look with this sort of style and will provide a great deal of wamth and softness. Something on a more rustic side would add a great deal of character and might be what the Dr. ordered in terms of softness. www.lakeandmountainhome.com can customize (to size , color, wood texture ) their reclaimed wood tops to fit your area.
  • minimalist2
    11 years ago
    non textured - light toned - earthy fabrics here and there. Diffused warm white lighting to accentuate prominent spaces.
  • Chandani
    11 years ago
    If you go with interesting wood cabinets, I'd keep the countertops plain and simple....in a honed finish.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Hi Allison, just looking at the position of your appliances. I'd be giving some consideration to re-arranging them. If the dishwasher door is open i'd be concerned there is little space to back up from the sink to load that sucker up. Also if your right handed you might consider placing the dishwasher to the right of the sink on the end of the island ( bottom right corner of island in picture) or even on the side. This will also let you place the fridge/freezer in the centre of the cabinets on the back wall. A panel ready fridge and freezer to match the cabinets so it all blends in and looks seamless would be great. Dishwasher panel ready as well. A peice of butcher block counter coud be recessed to sit flush inside the counter on the island, just a thought. Please post pics often, what an exciting build :)
  • PRO
    Shea Studio Interiors, Inc
    11 years ago
    sounds like you want to temper the industrial cold look and keep it warm. How about off white cabinets, off white walls (keep it a warm white and add other warm tones. The space will be noisy with all those hard surfaces, add accoustical help and warmth with textured fabrics on upholstery and use fabric to divide rooms.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Hi Allison, I came across this wallpaper collection you might find interesting. No pattern repeats and color can be added, anyway thought it might be up your alley.

http://concretewall.no/concrete-collection
  • Alison
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That is so cool Candace... We are actually going to leave some of our concrete walls... I have some learning to do!!! how should I finish those... and apparently I have to learn a lot about acoustical solutions!!!
  • Alison
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments... I really appreciate all the ideas... they help so much... I am going to keep the cabinets white and make a statement with the countertops and I have to learn about methods of dealing with the sound issues... I am so grateful for all of the time you all took to give me a different perspective...
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Fabric is a fast forward way for a soft look .
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    Rule of thumb: Always bring a "natural" element into any room you design. You could use a light colored (or dark) bamboo flooring for your kitchen ceiling? Looks great with canned or task lighting. Get something with a satin finish - not high gloss to add some softness. Use some natural stone element someplace - like have your island top made of soapstone - which absorbs light - does not reflect light. Since you mentioned you are NOT having countertops - this could be a great addition. Add a wall of rustic reclaimed wood behind your bed - use a stone element in your bathroom - like a dark charcoal grey tile or a dark natural stone in your shower? This would carry a design element throughout your house if you paint the kitchen wall a dark grey. You might even consider painting your cabinets a high gloss color - like a beautiful apple green, using a rich, dark cabinet pull - like black glass. This could be your pop of color. Or some color which appeals to you. I like the idea of the green since it is a more natural concept. Please do let us know - sounds great.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Another way to soften the house is through the use of natural wood or stone materials.

Stinson Beach House · More Info