0
joelcross_gw

Succulent growing too tall

joelcross

Hi everyone,

I have a succulent (echeveria peacockii, says the pot it came in) and it was very short and healthy when I bought it, but now it is growing very tall and many of the "leaves" at the bottom of the plant are shriveling off and dying, but the top of the plant still continues to grow more and more. I have attached a picture of what it looked like when I first bought it and what it looks like now. Is this supposed to happen? If not, what should I do?

Thanks.

• TomatoTom2014

What kind of light is it in? It looks like it has been light deprived to me.

• Becky

Holy cow I've never seen a succulent get that leggy before-get that poor guy some sun! A South or southwest window is best, because it's not getting enough sun and is getting leggy trying to stretch out to find more sun.

You're probably going to have to behead that poor guy soon

Here is a link that might be useful: How to take care of Leggy succulents

• DavidL.ca

Yeah it's clearly stretching crazily for some SUN! If you have to grow it indoor you have to put it at a sunny window, of course if you can move it outdoor at least a few hours a day it will be the best. But you have to introduce it to sun slowly otherwise it will burn.

• joelcross

Thanks everyone! I had it right near a window, but it's a NORTH window, not south. I will move it to a different window where it will get more sunlight. What should I do with the tallness though? And should I "behead" it? If so, how?

• shahm0nsterr

Oh dear! My sedum rubrotinctum did the same thing when I deprived it of light. Started out a few inches tall and grew to almost 7!

Read the link that was posted by Noteybook
    http://needlesandleaves.net/blog/2013/5/31/propagating-leggy-succulents

• zandora

I have one that has been in direct sun all day for over a year and did great. It sat by the pool until I repotted it yesterday. So lack of light is not the problem. The other plant beside it is fine. What is causing this? It started stretching about a month ago.

• Liz (Miami, Fl z10)

Looks like it's flowering! It might die off but should produce a bunch of babies :)

Edit: in case you didn't know, yours is a Kalanchoe luciae, not the same plant as in the original post.

• rina_Ontario,Canada

As Liz said...Kalanchoe luciae, and these are monocarpic plants. Blooming rosette dies but I see you have an offset to replace it :) If it was in full sun, I would expect some reddish color on the leaves - at least some? Still, nice plant!

• zandora

Thank you both. I did not know the name of it. This makes me feel better.