Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carefreeplants

What is your Online Clematis Purchase experience?

carefreeplants
18 years ago

This season is the first time I am ordering Clematis online.

I haven't received them but would like to learn about your online purchase experience and how to deal with the after delivery care.

Thank you.

Care

Comments (33)

• MichaelB_MAz6
    18 years ago

It has been relatively good. I only order now from Chalk Hill. I get (for the most part) plants with good root systems, which is the most important thing.

When you get your plants evaluate the size of the root system and then decide if thye should go into the ground or be grown on in a container.
    Michael

• jeanne_texas
    18 years ago

You just can't Beat Dans Clematis over at Brushwood..that is unless you get them from my Friend Debbie..who sells them for $12.00 bucks a pop!!..Awesome plants with huge roots...anywho...The Clematis I bought as Brushwood have done great so far..I planted them last fall and they are all coming up nicely but not as huge as Debbies...I planted them 2-4 inches deeper than they were in their pots..

• Dena Walters
    18 years ago

I ordered 3 from Garden Crossings this year, and they were packaged so wonderful, and big healthy plants, I will definetely order from them only.
    Mine went right into the ground and are growing like crazy..might even get a flower this year!!...
    Dena

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Crossings Link

• katie
    18 years ago

Jeanne,

Can we contact Debbie direct or do we need to purchase from her through ebay?

Katie

• Ruth_MI
    18 years ago

I've been happy with Chalk Hill and was recently very happy with two ordered from sandylp on ebay. She was recommended by someone else on this forum, I think.

• jeanne_texas
    18 years ago

Katie.. I will send you a message over at GB..you can contact her direct and probably even get them cheaper...I will give you her email address...

• gimmeclemmies
    18 years ago

Me, too Jeanne. I'd like a list of what she's got.

• donna504
    18 years ago

Add me especially if she has 'Hulidine'. donna

• msjoyceh
    18 years ago

I have purchased 4 very healthy plants from Chalk Hill.

• katie
    18 years ago

I get smaller but healthy plants from Donahues. I love ordering from them. They recently migrated from 2 1/2" pots to 4" pots. Some of the plants I got this spring were ready to go directly in the ground, some needed to be potted up for a while longer.

Katie

• jeanne_texas
    18 years ago

GimmieClemmies...I clicked on your page but didn't have a way to send you email...I did send the address and list to you Donna...

• donna504
    18 years ago

it came to me via email. thanks i will send a email to her right a way. thanks again, donna

• carefreeplants
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the Donahue's reference. I went to their site. They seem have a lot of difficult to find Clemmies that I am interested to grow.

• MrsDay
    18 years ago

I have purchased from Parkseed.com and got healthy but small clematis plants. I just received an order from Sandylp on Ebay. It's a beauty! I Roguchi. It's in a 9-1/2" pot, so you know the root system is large. Look at the size of this thing.
    P.S. How do I get a list of "Debbie's" clematis?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Roguchi from Ebay

• suzymac
    18 years ago

Wow, that's a nice Rooguchi ! I see that Sandylp is using the same new pots that Chalk Hill uses. I'll have to check ouy Sandylp's other clematis now !
    Suzy

• Tammy Owens
    18 years ago

I also get my clematis from Sandlyp on Ebay. I have gotten Mayleen, Arabella, Venosa Violacea and Prince Charles. All were healthy plants...Mayleen was in bloom when I got it. She is a great person to deal with too. Always answers email, gives updates on on shipping. She is on my best sellers list! At least now I know some of the people I am bidding aginst,lol!!!

Tammy

• kidhorn
    18 years ago

I've gotten great plants from garden crossings. They have great customer service too. One time they sent me one that I think was the wrong one. They sent a replacement, no questions asked. Now, I'm not so sure they didn't send me the right one to begin with. Clematis bloom color can vary quite a bit.

I've gotten some good bareroots from parks\wayside. They're small and inexpensive. They start out small, but grow fast.

• carefreeplants
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I received some of the Clematis I purchased from American Nursery Products.

Very healthy looking plants, nicely packaged and bigger than expected.

Wonderful prices, too.

I purchased Markham's Pink, Arabella, Constance, Blue Angel and Akaishi.

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

I got 3 great plants from Chalk Hill last fall and 5 more this spring. All were very nicely packed, growing well and had good root systems. They were sold out of Rooguchi so I ordered it and a couple of others from Joy Creek. I'd heard good things about Joy creek on this site but overall I wasn't impressed. The packing was not as nice. the plants were just tipped over in a box with newspaper covering the dirt. Two of the vines were broken, including Rooguchi. I didn't call to complain because I figure the roots are still healthy and they should grow well when planted. Just the same, I think I'll only order from Chalk Hill from now on. I might give Sandylp a try though, that Rooguchi you got MrsDay is beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim and Chris's Garden Page

• nckvilledudes
    18 years ago

I have been singing the praises of Sandylp's plants for over a year now and can't say enough about them. I began ordering from her last season off of eBay and I have never been disappointed with anything I have ever gotten from her. To top it off she is very personable and will bend over backwards to help you. I know some people have gotten bum deals off of eBay, but Sandy is one you can trust.

I personally had nothing but problems with American Nursery Products. There is one clematis I ordered from them last year and paid for and never got even after filing a complaint with eBay and Paypal. Buyer beware if you order from them, especially if you order early in the season and they are to ship later in the season. So much time had passed since I ordered the plant and when it became apparent that they weren't going to ship it that I couldn't file negative feedback for them on eBay. I did file a complaint on Garden Watchdog however as have quite a few other people.

• carefreeplants
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Miguel for the information on ANP.
    I will check Sandylp's offerings.

• nckvilledudes
    18 years ago

You are welcome Carefree. I can also vouch for Dan's plants at Brushwood. If Dan has it, his plants are cheaper than Sandy's since Dan's price includes shipping. If he doesn't have what you want, check with Sandy since she ships from Tennesse and her shipping will be much less than Chalk Hill and it now appears she is shipping the same sized plants in containers similar to what Chalk Hill sends. Not that I have anything against Chalk Hill since I have ordered quite a few of the harder to get ones from Murray at Chalk Hill also!

• donna504
    18 years ago

I can't find Sandylp's site on ebay. What is her business name?

• nckvilledudes
    18 years ago

Donna, Sandylp is the person's user name on eBay. Sandra Parrott, the person who actually sells under the username Sandylp, doesn't to my knowledge have an online store on eBay. I have her saved under my favorite sellers and she can be found by using the advanced search feature on eBay (make sure that the seller name is sandylp--there are several on there with similar names). Currently Sandra does not have any items listed for sell on eBay. It could be either that she has sold out for the season, that it has gotten too hot for shipments at this time of year or that she has limited stock now. I am trying to link below the information page for Sandra Parrott on eBay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Description of seller Sandylp

• Tammy Owens
    18 years ago

I find that sandy tends to list on Tuesday or Wednesday. Although it's usually every other week or so. I am hoping she's not finshed for the season yet,

• carefreeplants
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I received my orders from American Nursery Products. All of them seem very good, if not great.

The most wonderful deals I got came from their 3 for $9.99 sale (grab bag unique items), where I was mailed good sized plants: Arabella, Duchess of Albany, Allanah, Royalty, Purpurea Plena Elegans, Ville d'Lyon, Summer Snow, Jan Lindmark, Monte Cassino.

I also received big plants (probably one-gallon size) Fujimusume and Iryuu from their 2 for $9.99 sale.

I was so happy with this purchase from them. Shall I do the clematis dance with these plants and this purchase?

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

I am very pleased with Joy Creek Nursery's listings and plants. They are the only US Nursery I know of to dare to try to deal with Canada Customs! I order early while things are in stock.

• Hollywog
    18 years ago

I ordered my first clematis this spring from NatureHills Nursery, a jackmanii. It was my first time ordering from them. I was so excited when my two bareroots arrived in late March. I put them in two different areas in my yard--one growing up the post from an old clothes line and one growing up under the deck of my kids treehouse. Both plants began growing leaves right away, and I anxiously awaited the first vining and buds. Imagine my surprise when the plant continued to get bushier and bushier, and then to grow big round lacy leaves like a mum. It turns out that it isn't a clematis at all--although it was labelled jackmanii. I still have no idea what it is. I contacted the nursery and they told me that if they have another one in stock they will send it out. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Soooo, I'm not quite sure what the moral of my story is....just a word of warning against that particular nursery, I guess. It was probably an innocent mistake, but I'm still pretty hot about it, as I have lost 2 months worth of growing time now on a real clematis.

• carefreeplants
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was able to get some half-priced clematis from Van Bourgondien. They were mailed dormant with big roots, but have now sprouted, most with multiple stems: Josephine, Harlow Carr, Wisley and Hyde Hall, each for about $6. This has been a pleasant experience so far. Hopefully, these will bloom true.

• MaryInSpokane
    18 years ago

I have received excellent service and plants from Chalk Hill, Joy Creek, Heronswood, and Brushwood. All plants were healthy and packed well. I can't say enough about them, their websites, shipping instructions, feedback before and after you receive plants, is excellent.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I've ordered Clematis from White Flower Farm, Chalk Hill, Heronswood, Forestfarm and Klehm's Song Sparrow.

White Flower Farm was overpriced and poor quality. To their credit, they did refund my money, but if I wanted a scrawny little plant with little hope of surviving, I'd go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy Clematis-in-a-box for about 1/4 the price.

Heronswood had nice, healthy, smallish Clematis.

Forestfarm sent me even bigger, nicer plants for the same price.

Songsparrow and Chalk Hill are in the "OH, WOW!!!!!!" category for the size and quality of plants they sent. Also in the "Get out the truss because I'm gonna NEED it after wrestling this package through the house" category. HUGE plants.

• butterclem
    18 years ago

No one has mentioned Completely Clematis in Ipswich, MA. I've ordered three of their clematises over the years, and they are all big, healthy, and blooming beautifully. Their prices for "regular" sized specimens are reasonable ($15 is about average), and you can pay $5 or $10 extra and get really large ones when they have them in stock.

• gardenerboo
    18 years ago

I haven't done any online purchasing yet and since I am in Canada, I am not sure who to deal with. It is quite late in the year to plant but I would like to order some next spring. So far this year I have planted 2o different types of clematis and all of them have been successful, thanks to all of you here at the gardenweb forum. I spent many hours reading over everyone's comments on how to plant them and take care of them and what problems to watch out for. Recently I have gotten some downspout trellises. I can't wait for next spring. Thank you all for your inspiration. I think I am hooked on these beautiful plants.