Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craziiicarl

Type of Kumquat Best for Containers?

CraziiiCarl
11 years ago

I'm going to be ordering a Kumquat tree from Four Winds Growers sometime in the next couple of weeks and wanted to know which kind they have that's suited for container growing. If they're all relatively the same how about in terms of cold hardiness since I live in Wisconsin.

Thanks,

Carl

Comments (13)

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

I have a Meiwa which is doing well in a container and which produces delicious fruit.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Hi, Carl, I have three different type of Kumquat trees in container. They are all doing well. Kumquat trees are very easy to grow. In term of hardiness. I think Nagami kumquat is fairly frost hardy, it can even handle 5b, -10 temporature for short period. All my kumquat trees have a lot of very fragrant citruslike white flowers.

• CraziiiCarl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for you help! I'll be doing more research and I'll post a picture of what will be my fist citrus tree!

• mrtexas
    11 years ago

"I think Nagami kumquat is fairly frost hardy, it can even handle 5b, -10 temporature for short period."

Dream on. 3 hours of -10 and a kumquat is dead.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

• CraziiiCarl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear All,
    I just wanted to post and update for two reasons:
    1). I want to apologize to the people who helped me on this forum because I changed my mind and ordered a Meyer Lemon tree in stead of a kumquat (Thanks for your help anyways!)
    2). When I receive my Meyer lemon tree I'll probably have a few questions and will be creating a new forums so if you could give me any advise with these questions I'd be really grateful so please look out for my new forum some time next week.
    Thanks Once Again,
    Carl

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Carl, Meyer Lemon is a bit more difficult to takr care than Kumquat per my personal experiences. But it is a nice plant and flowers in winter time too. I love its scent!

Good luck with your lemon tree, and feel free to post questions.

• Randy31513
    11 years ago

I grew up in Florida a very long time ago. I remember the dreaded kumquat people always said to try because they were so sour. Are their any new varieties that are sweet like an orange or satsuma?

• pennypond USDA 10 Sunset 21 CA
    11 years ago

Hi Randy, you have to try Meiwa, a much lesser known variety, until recently. It's sweet, spicy, and complex. I will not eat Nagami fresh, but will take Meiwa any day, maybe even over a Satsuma. The following is taken from UC Riverside website:

"It is much the best variety for eating fresh and is reported to be widely grown in Chekiang Province of China and to some extent in Fukuoka Prefecture of Japan. Meiwa is said to be slightly less cold-hardy than Nagami but is increasing in popularity in the United States."

I have a semi-dwarf in ground; it's beautiful and grows much slower than a Nagami so I think it would be great for container.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meiwa

• Randy31513
    11 years ago

Meiwa, I did follow the link and it does look promising. Thanks for the link.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Randy, no. No kumquat will be sweet like an orange or mandarin. That's sort of the nature of kumquats :-) I have both Nagami and Meiwa kumquats. Meiwa's are the only ones I can eat because they have thicker skin which makes them sweeter (that is a very relative statement). I can eat a Nagami, but I have to dip it into a little sugar, first, which sort of negates their healthy properties, lol! You might try a Meiwa at the nursery if you have one close to you, to see what you think.

Patty S.

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

I have a Nagami, and though the juice is tart, the skin is very sweet. The trick is to chew a lot. I tried a Meiwa, and it must not have been ripe, because it didn't taste that sweet to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

• Austin Galloway
    2 years ago

What’s the best pot size?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    2 years ago

A tall 3 gallon to 5 gallon pot for a tree of your size. Don't get anything to big or you may have root rot problems. This bucket is 15 inches deep. You will have to fill this bucket to the top to hold your tree

Steve