Your shopping cart is empty.
sluice

broomin

sluice
January 2, 2010

Went out to look for an abies concolor broom this week.

Pine shadows on rock.

{{gwi:626510}}

Picea pungens.

{{gwi:626511}}

A new Pinus ponderosa broom!

{{gwi:626512}}

Pinus edulis and pinus ponderosa.

{{gwi:626513}}

Juniperus osteosperma.

{{gwi:626514}}

{{gwi:626516}}

Buffalo Creek fire area.

{{gwi:626518}}

The 1996 fire took thousands of acres of forest.

{{gwi:626520}}
{{gwi:626522}}

Pinus ponderosa.

{{gwi:626524}}

Pinus ponderosa, fire survivors.

{{gwi:626525}}

Pinus ponderosa broom, second one.

{{gwi:626526}}

Another pinus ponderosa broom.

{{gwi:626528}}

Fourth Pinus ponderosa broom.

{{gwi:626530}}

And another one!

{{gwi:626532}}

Topped picea pungens growing a new leader.

{{gwi:626534}}

Picea pungens, narrow weeping habit.

{{gwi:626536}}

Picea engelmanii bud.

{{gwi:626538}}

Landscape

{{gwi:626541}}

Picea engelmanii weeper.

{{gwi:626543}}

{{gwi:626545}}

Pseudotsuga menziesii broom.

{{gwi:626547}}

Another Pseudotsuga menziesii broom.

{{gwi:626549}}

Abies concolor, bark detail.

{{gwi:626551}}

And finally, an abies concolor broom.

{{gwi:626552}}

Unfortunately, daylight was fading fast. Will have to return to this area another day.

{{gwi:626553}}

Comments (6)

• barbaraincalif

Great pictures as always Nate!
    Were all your girls hiking with you too?

I'm sadly surprised to see so little re-growth in the forest from the 1996 fire...there seems to be no sign of the progression of growth one would expect to see.

Will you be collecting scion wood from those Brooms?

Happy New Year,
    Barbara

• bluespruce53

Great photos as always.

• wisconsitom

I noticed that lack of regeneration in the fire area too. Quite shocking really. I drove through the area of N. Wisconsin the last couple of days that had a bad tornado in '04. The swath of destruction was over a mile wide in some areas and all told, more than 40 miles long. In this setting, regrowth is exuberant. Of course, there's a difference in outcome between the two events, a truly raging, destructive fire, and a tornado, but the difference is still huge.

BTW, anyone wishing to see what a truly well-managed northern forest looks like should avail themselves to a visit to the Menominee Indian Reservation. I have read that this tract is considered by many authorities to be the finest forest land east of the Mississippi River. That characterization is easy to believe when one sees it for themselves.

Sorry for the hijack, sluice. Great job once again!

+oM

• sluice

Barbara, yep the girls were out too, and we came home with a few bags of scionwood. Taking cuttings from some of the ponderosa was like being attacked by a porcupine!

There probably won't be significant regrowth in much of the burn area for a long time. The soil conditions suffered due to the extreme heat of the crown fires, and erosion caused by torrential rainstorms that followed.

• gardener365

Some great brooms and I really like the two narrow, tall, pungens spruces. Could you reach that dark green menziesii globular broom? That one is sweet and so is the blue-foliaged menziessi with the very short needles. Nice scores dude. Also, was there any viable wood on that concolor broom?

Hope you collected wood form those narrow weepers. They're tight! Any you find I'd plant right here. Green ones would be awesome. That last ponderosa is the winner it appears. Sometimes they grow here, but not long-term. I might get twenty years out of one but I know it's going to turn to crap.

Muchos,
    Dax

• dansgrdn

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. I especially like the last P.m. broom. Very nice!

Dan

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).