Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theg4

Please help me figure out what to put in the extra space in my powder room!!

theg4
11 years ago
When building the house we opted not to have a bathtub installed in this downstairs powder room. this area used to be where my son's changing table was located, but that is no longer needed and now i don't know what to put in this unused space. The area in question is 3' by 5' with a 9' ceiling. Please help ... I'd love to get fresh ideas and pictures to help me :)

Comments (23)

• User
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think more pictures are needed so we would know what the sink looks like. You could add a nice antique or modern small chest to give storage and add interest but it depends on what the other look is in your room.
    You could put a decorative container with hand towels on top for guests. Other things for guests like pretty soap and perhaps a decorative hand mirror.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Carolina Photo is right, if you could take pics of the whole room it would be helpful. As it stands right now I would look for a corner unit. The top could be open shelving for attractive containers of bath products, the bottom could hold extra towels and tp.
  • PRO
    Granite Grannies
    11 years ago
    I think Carolina Photo To Go is on the right track. A narrow, tall shelving unit (whether open or closed) might be a great way to anchor the corner of the room and get a ton more storage space without taking up floor space. If your son is a toddler, then maybe make the bottom shelf a sliding bin of some sort for all his bath toys. Another option is to give yourself more counter space (if you need it, can't tell from the picture) by extending a vanity out to the corner or getting a corner cabinet and putting a nice countertop on it. You can get a custom piece of marble easily.
  • PRO
    Sage Lane Realty
    11 years ago
    If you have plenty of storage for your needs in the powder room, what about a full-length mirror?
  • theg4
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thank you for the ideas! no, this is not a master bathroom. this is our downstairs powder room. i have attached 2 more pictures so you can see more of the room
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    11 years ago
    I would suggest a small dresser/chest. You could add a few bath accessories on there and also it will act as storage for extra hand towels, toilet paper ect.....
  • Scott Urban
    11 years ago
    I guess you don't need to add more things in this room. In my perspective, it's quite small. The place is narrow. I would suggest to add simple decors instead. Try to add scented candles. :)
  • mkwhite1280
    11 years ago
    we put in a little cupboard like the one i posted. we angled it in the corner and put a plant on top and then have room for towels and other bathroom goodies!
  • ksundar
    11 years ago
    You could paint a large area of the windowless wall with chalk paint keeping it framed by that pretty red you have now, and make it a graffiti wall. or find a large vintage sign or something fun to fill the wall visually. You could put a plant stand in the corner to hold the plant you have on the toilet now.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    I don't see guest towels in the room. Perhaps place them on the toilet and have a small white/ivory cabinet in the corner for spare toilet paper, etc. A plant on the top would look nice.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Small Lenin Basket maybe .
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I posted something in my "Corner Cabinets" Ideabook for consideration. I think one side of the bottom could be made into a clothes hamper if you need one.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    A cute narrow table with plants might work
    Parsons dining table by R&B · More Info

I have read some people who do not have a lot of space use their bathrooms for small office spaces or sewing spaces. t's amazing what you can do with a small space, if needed. Having the changer in there was a good idea, too.
  • PRO
    Bassett Furniture Design Studio
    11 years ago
    This is a great opportunity to add a piece of furniture like a console. You can decorate with some accessories on the console and art above.
  • Rosemary Freitas
    10 years ago
    I agree, a great opportunity to put an interesting piece of furniture in there. That we should all be so lucky.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Something like this one.
    Bella Linen Cabinet, Red Matte · More Info
  • tcv627
    10 years ago
    I agree maybe a nice glass front storage piece with some nice hand towels on the inside
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    9 years ago
    I don't know anyone who has enough storage! I would go to a consignment storage or estate sales and find an armoire or corner cupboard that I was in love with.
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    I think I would put storage closet along that wall. You could use a pantry type closet there, get some antique or just put in sliding doors and shelves. Of course, some people use the bath for washer and dryer or Heh Heh you could put in a two holer toilet ( just kidding).

Closets · More Info

Casa Verde Design · More Info
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Very old post, keeps getting resurrected. OP hasn't responded since 2012.
  • PRO
    Karen Maher for Ethan Allen of River Edge
    8 years ago

To keep it open, tall and unlike the sink/mirror and toilet window pattern... I suggest a polished chrome etagere and add decorative towels, candles, and other beautiful accents.

• PRO
    Gallery Direct
    8 years ago

Who doesn't love an excuse for more storage? I definitely second all the comments about a shelving unit or a small chest of drawers. Something antique-y would look great. Plus a great piece of art to break up the wall would be amazing.