Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meaz_89

Need help with my 5th wheel

meaz_89
11 years ago
I have a 5th wheel.. The only area for furniture and seating is the 14 by 4 slide out. I have a new white couch and looking for a new chair. All of my throw pillows are organic, off white almost burlap in texture I WISH I could center my couch with mantle behind with lamps pictures etc. HOWEVER, I need my reclining chair. (need the seating) Now I do not know how to creat a focal pt. or to creat semitry. Do I still put the mantle center to the wall with an oversizer round mirror centered on it (centered in the slid out between the two window?) or do I put the mantle with lamps behind the couch still although it will be completely on the right side of this sitting area. I have made white roman blinds for the windows that have a diagnol texture to them to make the space look/feel taller then it is. ANY IDEAS WILL BE A GREAT HELP> Any help or ideas are GREATLY appreciated! : D

Comments (42)

• meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Also the shelf above slide out, with decor is GOING! I think it closes the area making it feel shorter.
  • astor818
    11 years ago
    Need more pictures please!
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If you are able to paint all the walls a slightly deeper color like your cabinets, since those I imagine are a permanent color, and paint the mantle the same color, this will make your ceiling look taller and the room look larger in general. This eliminates the problem with the mantle making the room look shorter. In the photos it is hard to see exactly what color the cabinets are - pale peach or that a yellowy color? It seemed to be a soft peach to my eyes.

If it were my 5th wheel, I would agree on taking out the mantle entirely, eliminating the star and putting a line of photographs in white mats and white frames across above the sofa area. The setup of the room doesn't lend itself to symmetry but you can get a striking accent by including a couple of luscious pillows in a robin's egg blue or any other color you especially like to go along with your neutral ones. I like to try out colors in my rooms before I buy anything so I have taken t-shirts and other articles to wrap over my pillows to see if I like those colors there. Lighting makes such a big difference in all rooms and you have to pick what you really like and want to live with. I have found that using very good quality paint makes a big difference because really good paint reflects light so much better. This is also the case with ceiling paint. A lot of white paints have a more gray or blue cast so I always paint my ceilings a whitish version of the wall color. It looks white but unless you tell your hairdresser, no one will ever know.
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Please do not mind the crib and mess on the far end, I have a white electic stove going under the big window with floor to cieling white curtains maybe with some light bamboo blinds. Ideas on this are also welcome. ; ) The slide out is across from sink and wall of cabnets, that I have painted antique. As you walk in the door you stare the slide out and seating right in the face. I hope these pictures help, I will take as many as needed. Its hard to do in such a little space. PS I mighht also be afraid of color and pattern. My walls are a gray green color. Thank you for your help!
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I thought I should change the wall color also, wanted to avoid it but I really do think things will open up if the walls were more off white like the cabnets. Thanks for the t-shirt idea!! I will deff do that. Once the white roman shades are up you would put pictures in white mat frames behind the couch or behind the whole thing? My lamps I have ordered they are short rectangle burlap shades with small metal birds and branches at bottom. Should I put both behind the couch? I didnt think I would have to give this all sooo much thought. Its so aquard for me to work with. I really appreciate all the insight and help.
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    white frames behind couch, got it... ; )
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    Can you hang pictures above where your mantle is? I am presuming the long shelf with the pictures and decorative things is what you are referring to as the mantle. I mean just attach the pictures right to the wall above.
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    Right now with the walls two different colors, the room is divided in half lengthwise. If you paint the green areas to match the cabinets, it unites the whole room. I'd play with the lamps and the colors. You are in charge of what you like. Try out different things and see if you like them and if you can live with them.
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I deff want to try new things and color. Im deff going to paint asap, thank you! I could hang pictures above, is that a good idea? and I guess I wouldnt know how to group them since the cieling is at a gradual incline.
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    If the shelf works, then keep it but paint it to match the walls. That eliminates the problem with it making the ceiling look lower. The change in color will fool the eye and make the ceiling look taller. The white mats and frames will make the pictures up there lighter, less heavy and weighty looking.
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for simplifing things for me. do you think white curtains are ok? or color?
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    Try out the white Roman shades and see what else you need. Don't forget that the lighter walls and the white sofa will make quite a difference. You need to take this one step at a time. Go for good quality paint and bring home lots of samples of the colors. I tape mine to the walls and look at them during the day and under lighting. Look for a color that looks good in the day and at night. Just a little darker than your cupboards. You can even take a door with you to the paint department and ask for samples just a shade darker. You have a great kitchen. The cupboards turned out really good.
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you SOO much! I will have these steps completed by the end of next week, fingers crossed. (with new pics) This process of making over a 5th wheel has been a longggg one. Just when I thought the fun part was here, I find myself stressed. Thanks for making this so much easier. Thank you I used the Rustolium kit and it has held on supprisingly well.
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    Take your time and enjoy the journey. Put some good music on to inspire you and have fun.
  • Melinda Donnell
    11 years ago
    Is the crib staying? I think I would put the couch down at that end and then add another chair to go with recliner with a table in between.
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ive got antique white painted on one wall today, and relized even tho I like the brightness it may make my antiqued cabnets stand out too much or look dingy. : ( am I wrong?
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    a shade darker is deff going to be better. ; ) Ill post pics for more input soon. Also, looking for white frames with white mats. ? any ideas?
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Do you plan to go anywhere in this thing? There seem to be a lot of decor items that will need to be screwed down. Of course, if the "mantel" goes so will a lot of those items. I'm surprized you didn't just paint the cabinets to match all the window trim and then focus on color for the walls. Have you thought of building in a banquette style sofa the runs the entire length of that wall and would sleep a couple of people too? I think that might be less of a space hog than actual furniture. You could simply lift the cushions and have lidded storage underneath. Back cushions could be attached to a piece of wood running the length of the wall with velcro so they don't fall down in transit. This would totally eliminate the need for the lounger and sofa and would make changing the upholstery easy - maybe a pattern and heavier fabric for winter and a lighter solid bright color for summer. There is a ladies camper club that posts a lot of their remodels on "Rate My Space" at HGTV - you might get some great ideas there.
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    ohh, I live in my 5th wheel. I really want it to feel as close to home and normal as posssiable. ; ) I thought this would be fun and easy for me. It seems its always easier to design someone elses space. I worry about every little piece. I love the antique cabnets, love french country feel. Jus tthe color on the walls before really was gloomy, and am happy with the brighter change. i will deff check out HGTV thank you! All ideas are very much appreciated. Focal pts, ways to brighten and make the space feel bigger is a big concern. I love when my rooms are balanced and symmetric, which is a problem for me in this space.
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    You have some very good pictures for inspiration. Brighter pillows with a definite pattern will function as focal points, almost like art for your room. Are you an artist? Are you looking for someplace to hang your art? Regarding the wall color, I'd call the store where you got the paint and tell them the color you bought was too light and ask if they will remix it for you at a fee. Just make sure you have enough paint left for a complete coat. If you don't have enough left for a remix, don't despair. Your lighter color will function as a great undercoat for your new color.

Definitely take a door with you when you go so that the color you choose is a little darker. This eliminates the problem with something lighter like the antique color on your cupboards looking dirty. Instead of the ledge, can you hang art across the top of the end of the room, opposite the tv set? If the wall is not flat enough, you can still hand something like the little white birds in your photo.

Craft stores stock simple frames and white mats in a variety of sizes. You don't have to have someone frame your pictures for you. You just take the pictures out of the frames you have, tape them into new mats and pop them into the new frames. If you use frames the same size as your old ones, you can reuse the same glass or plexiglass. One other option is to spray paint the older frames white. Spray paint in regular white is usually a bright refrigerator white so you might look for a light cream color.

One more thing - if you are concerned about your dog shedding over your new white sofa, put a light colored throw over the sofa - something very simple and similar in color to your sofa. That way you can shake out the throw to keep things tidy. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Keep going....
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    OMG! thank you sooo mucH! I went back to Serwin Williams today explained that I needed the next color up, since I still had almost a full can left they just added the color at no cost. They were so sweet (such great service no questions asked) LOVE THE COLOR got one wall done so far tonight. Going to go shop for some bright accents and curtains tomorrow. Pier1 I think also hobby lobby to see about frames. What a great idea on the couch, but she only gets on it after asking permission and with this couch she gets permission, I will be buying her a special bed when the white one gets here. : D. Still going to get a throw for the toddler. CRIB is gone, we got a mini crib for the bedroom (what a wonderful invention thanks Toys R Us!!!) Cant wait to post pics for you all. Finally this is becomming fun for me!!!! Again I welcome ALL ideas!
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    I used all Sherwin Williams paint in my little house also. Great paint and great service. Your comment - 'Love the color' - made my day. Put your paint samples in your purse and you will get better matches when you shop for frames. If your toddler will be spending lots of time on the new white sofa, the throw will be invaluable. If she naps up there, you can use the crib waterproof mattress pads under the throw for added protection.
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Things are slowly comming together... I am happy so far. Time to get my butt in gear, had to buy a free standing white electric fire place for the back wall under middle window. Light teal curtains (floor to cieling) on both sides with a country white coat rack with mirror off to the left by the front door. So far white has really helped the space. Still need picture frames.... Can not wait for to post new pics and have it finished to wear I can post on HGTV RV remodle before and after. ; )
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    Sounds great. Keep going.
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    So ive been hard at work. Still have a third coat of paint to do and a few small areas where you can still see the original dark gloomy color. I love the blue curtains, and fire place... I think it needs an orchid. Covered old furniture for now. Still looking for pillows of color. I know the very dark book shelf next to the chair is an eye soar compaired to white furniture. : ( Need help with choices for window treatments in the slide out (seating area) also what to do above cabnets?? Im thinking nothing but some light. its only 8-11 inch tall on an incline. I have white picture frames just working on getting pics into them. Also still trying to get hubby to put up crown molding. Could really use any ideas advice please!
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    So ive been hard at work. Still have a third coat of paint to do and a few small areas where you can still see the original dark gloomy color. I love the blue curtains, and fire place... I think it needs an orchid. Covered old furniture for now. Still looking for pillows of color. I know the very dark book shelf next to the chair is an eye soar compaired to white furniture. : ( Need help with choices for window treatments in the slide out (seating area) also what to do above cabnets?? Im thinking nothing but some light. its only 8-11 inch tall on an incline. I have white picture frames just working on getting pics into them. Also still trying to get hubby to put up crown molding. Could really use any ideas advice please!
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    also new back splash, that was just some left over flooring and was a "make-do" situation. ANy ideas?
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    oh yeah the slide out.... ; )
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    Wow, what a huge difference the color change made. Now it looks so much larger than before. I have a small area above my kitchen cupboards also and ran a short string of small white lights across the top and put my grandmother's crystal bowls up there. Even filled in the spaces with crystal pieces I found at a local thrift store. Makes a cozy light in the evening while I watch tv. and it carries along that light look. You might need a back splash that is closer in value to your wall color. You are creating a room that is both cozy and welcoming. Keep going and keep posting.
  • lizoregon
    11 years ago
    This brings back lots of memories. :-) My dh and I lived and traveled in a fifth wheel for 8+ years and sold it last month after settling back into a house a year ago. You've done a great job! As you've discovered, the main thing to keep in mind living in a small space is "light", "open" and "uncluttered." Otherwise it gets claustrophobic! With that in mind, I think you'd be wise to lighten your backsplash to the wall color if possible for continuity. For pillows, a blue print to match the curtains would be good. Your rug in front of the sink seems to have red or orange, so maybe one of those for a pop of color with the blue. If you really feel energetic, you could paint the very dark piece between the chair and the sofa at some point.

Did you decide against using the Roman shades you made for the windows in the slide? Whatever you put there, you probably know to be careful about long cords if you have a toddler. They can be very hazardous. Most RVs come with pleated day-night shades (no cords). I don't know how much they cost, but you could price them online and even keep an eye out on Craigslist. They come in different colors, but the lighter the better.

I look forward to seeing more photos as you tie up the loose ends. Nice work!
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    Good ideas, especially about the cords to the shades. Fabric and craft stores carry cord winders that you can attach near the top of the shades. You can also complete the light look around the room by painting the door to your bedroom the color of the walls if that will coordinate with the color of your bedroom. Love the idea of bringing the color of your new curtains into the pillows or into an area rug with a large pattern on a light background. Don't know if you need one in the winter where you live. If you are in love with the star you had on the wall above the sofa, you can paint it with the same color Rustoleum paint you used on the cupboards and hang it back up for now. You can always change it. Everything is polishing up beautifully.
  • lizoregon
    11 years ago
    That's a great idea about the cord winders summer_night. I thought the pocket door would look nice painted too, but the logistics are somewhat tricky, although not impossible. It would have to stay open (i.e. pushed back into the pocket space) while it dries, so she could have access to the bathroom and bedroom. Since there is no bottom track guiding the door, sometimes they bump against the pocket, which could mess up the paint. Maybe a really fast drying paint would work, and she could just leave the door closed and take dog and toddler somewhere for a few hours. :-) She would only have to paint one side, since it doesn't open into the bathroom/bedroom. Definitely worth considering.
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    Do you have a baby gate for around your white stove? Lizoregon, great idea re: painting the door.
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    THANK YOU ALL!!! SO MUCH! This is alot of fun! I have rustolium cabnet paint left over, without the antique (off white). I did plan on painting the door with that since its guaranteed to stick. DO you think that will work. The shades I made for the windows turned out terrable. I think Ill take a trip to lowes to check prices. The fire place does not get hott. Its electric and warm are blows from underneith : D. Pillow shopping here I come. Im deff going to make that quick change to above the cabnets too. Ill keep pictures comming. As I go. Thanks again!
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    lixoregon How did you do it for 8+ years???? My son is just under 1 year I would idealy stay here for 4 years to save for my dream home. I have only been here 3 months so that number wil probiably sound crazy to me mid winter.
  • meaz_89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Are these colors to dark you think, to keep it on the light and airy feel I should go lighter shouldnt I? I do not know if I am daring enough to go with orange with light blue... even tho the rug ties them all together and this pillow is cute.
  • lizoregon
    11 years ago
    LOL, well there is no way I could have done 8+ years with a small child or pets! We're retired, no kids, no pets anymore. We were full time RVers from our late 50's to mid 60's. We had already owned two homes and our goal was to simplify, do some traveling, go somewhere warm in the winter and spend time near scattered family and friends. You're at the other end of life's journey. Enjoy the ride. :-)

If you live somewhere cold, do educate yourself about keeping your tanks and water lines from freezing and keep those propane tanks filled. Since you're not moving, skirting around your fifth wheel can keep you warmer.
  • lizoregon
    11 years ago
    I think the red-orange throw might be a little dark. The pillows are cute. What I was thinking was a print with mostly the blue of your curtains and a bit of orange. That wouldn't feel as daring and would still be light and airy, but not boring. Since you sew, you might be able to find fabric and make slip-on pillow covers. Very easy,

I don't know about Rustoleum. If it introduces another color, you might not like it. But you could try and if you don't like it, you could go with your wall color. Have fun. :-)
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    The orange and white pillow reminds me of the rug in one of the rooms you posted a picture of and I think it would be great to find something like that pattern in a bluegreen to match your curtains. If you sew, you're one up on everyone else since you can make several slipcovers to just slide over your pillows. Change them with the seasons. Keep going - looking great.
Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz