Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beamertg

I need help with this ground floor beach house room.

beamertg
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Not quite sure what to do with this room. I think it would be a great recreational space. TV, bar, table and chairs, couch, chairs or what ever. Just need to brighten up the furnishings and do something with that fireplace. It has an electric insert. Don't really think we need to keep it, but what else can we do with that space? I need some ideas.

Comments (7)

• beamertg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is the other wall.
  • cindycarnes
    11 years ago
    I would replace the current mantel with a single piece of reclaimed wood, substantial in size. Reposition the tv to the book shelves by realigning the shelves to accommodate it. Two small loveseats would fit the space nicely. Float one loveseat about 36 inches away from door facing fireplace, and the other perpendicular facing bookshelves. A small chair could be used to the left of the fireplace. Update the ceiling fans and you are on your way!
  • Debbie
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I like what Bobbi sez...pretty much what I'd have said except for the color of the walls and ceiling...I'd paint them both a nice soft Sherwin Williams Jersey Cream-it's a palest yellow--add simple white crown moulding to make the colors pop!
    Add lots of bright colored pillows...if children are frequently in residence, I'd add bean bags in bright colors!
    A game table is a must! I purchased a huge oversized Scrabble game (it's on a lazy susan)...that has been a great purchase.
    Just think--playing outdoors all day, most everyone (parents included) will want to lounge around w/fireplace ON (open a few windows--for that wonderful ocean air!)....playing board games or watching a dvd.
    Colorful handblown glass items (and sailboats?), beachy themed whatnots on upper display shelves, games and movies on lower shelves.
    BTW--That is a BEAUTIFUL space! rearraging the furniture is imperative--maybe mount the tv on a wall?
    I, too, would have used industrial carpet where one walks in the doors straight from the beachy sandy outside...is there a shower downstairs?
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    A bar area would be great there.
    Sue De Chiara's home · More Info
    Or:
    Eclectic Wet Bar · More Info

I think I'd replace the industrial carpeting with tile and a sisal rug. Light blue on the ceiling.
  • beamertg
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the ideas. I will post pics when I get it finished!
  • madcreations
    11 years ago
    I would paint the room a nice cream color. Paint the back of the book shelves a really light shade of blue/ green (benjamin moore soft chinchilla). The love seats are ok, but I would put 4 chairs ( most people prefer their own seats), or 2 chairs in fron of the book shelves, a low backed love seat across from the fireplace, then 2 more chairs facing the other two. Creating a U. An ottoman coffee table in a great blue /cream/ tan fabric. Or really colorful if you prefer. I would also get the chairs in white slipcovers. This way if the kids are there or someone spill, just pop them in the wash. I like Bobbi's idea of games in baskets. Or fill them with books. I went to thrift shops for my favorite authors. Then I took all the jackets off. It is a much cleaner look. As for the tv I would put it above the mantle. This way everyone can see it. Have fun!