SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
glaciers_end

let's poke around Glacier's End

Hello, friends. It's been awhile since you've had a look around. Here's late winter/early spring in the PacNW. My condolences go out to my friends in the midwest.

a couple panoramas of the NW Mutants collection. I'm pretty fond of Abies procera 'Blaue Hexe' up front. It's one of the better ones I've seen.
{{gwi:653245}}

Abies lasiocarpa 'DuFlon' (although some who I greatly respect think it's grandis) flanked by an outrageous bouquet of rock garden iris.
{{gwi:653247}}

I just had to keep one Christmas ornament on Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph.' The Chief put on a great show this winter.
{{gwi:653249}}

Picea abies 'Anita's Golden Cloak' offset with a hot pink heath, Erica x darlyensis 'Kraemer's Rote.'
{{gwi:653250}}

Random dwarf conifers being downplayed by another outrageous clump of rock garden iris. Pinus parviflora 'Tenysu-Kasu' hasn't quite figured out that it's dead.
{{gwi:653252}}

Picea abies 'Gold Dust' just keeps getting better
{{gwi:653254}}

Abies nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader' offset nicely with the blue of Juniperus squamata 'Chinese Silver.' Cryptomeria japonica 'Monstrosa' (shaped) is in the foreground.
{{gwi:653255}}

More Iris reticulata. I show this one because the identity of the spruce is always under contention. I purchased it from Porterhowse Farms long ago as Picea glauca 'Burning Well.' Because it's in a shadier spot it seems to be growing much more open that the typical 'Burning Well.' Some think it's 'Cecilia.' For now, I'm just going to keep showing it.
{{gwi:653257}}

Sara and Ken think Microbiota decussata determines spring's arrival. This one's only 30% green. Does that make here still 70% winter?
{{gwi:653259}}

This winter I did a little bed expansion on one of the rock gardens. Here I placed a little jewelry box of really choice miniatures.
{{gwi:653260}}

The crown jewel of this bed is Thuja plicata 'Haley Bop.' This is simply one of the oddest conifers I've ever seen. I feel priviledged to have it. This cultivar was originally found in a Weyerhauser seed bed around the time of comet Hale-Bopp's fly by. Dick North, the finder, theorized that radiation from the comet caused the mutation. This is a fantastic theory.
{{gwi:653263}}

In the background is a young Abies balsamea 'Treehaven Dwarf.' Can't wait for this one to grow. It's a stunner.
{{gwi:653266}}

I hope you enjoyed the show!
~Dave

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars120 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company