0
caudex1

Jatropha cathartica

caudex1
October 23, 2007

{{gwi:663584}}

Found this at a garden center a couple of weeks ago in an 8in pot. Removed most of the roots to place in this 12in bonsai container.

• TT, zone 5b MA

Very nice.

Even though you are in a mild climate, is it risky to perform such major root work at this time of year. Aren't you planning to start letting your summer growers shut down for the season soon?

I am envious that I do such major repotting work at this time of year in my part of the world.

• caudex1

Hey Tom,
    It's showing signs of new growth and I'm tapering of my watering now. It will be fine as long as I keep on the dry side as it gets cooler. A lot of things are/were slowing down, but this heat has stirred a bit of growth.

• TT, zone 5b MA

Believe it or not, the "heat" has been doing that on this side, too. I think it is about to break, though. It is almost November...isn't it? ;-).

• alotofplants

Hi, I let mine grow all winter. I find as long as they are in heat, they do fine. I will give them some water but they do slow down. I try not to lose the roots. I do this with all my caudiciforms-about 200.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area

I know i'm not telling caudex what he doesn't already know,but to others here who buy this plant-KEEP DRY IN WINTER outdoors. This one of,if not THE fasted caudiciforms to rot in cold rain. They might be cold hardy zone 9b..not rain hardy.

• passion_for_flowers

Caudex1,
    What a great fine. I would love to walk into one of our garden centers around here and find a Jatropha.

• caudex1

>>>"I know i'm not telling caudex what he doesn't already know,but to others here who buy this plant-KEEP DRY IN WINTER outdoors. This one of,if not THE fasted caudiciforms to rot in cold rain. They might be cold hardy zone 9b..not rain hardy."That's what I do, keep everything dry and don't worry about the cold.