0
doggies7

Anyone any ideas on this plant?

doggies7

My birthday was on Halloween and my husband, knowing my love of plants, brought me home this new little friend. However, I don't know what it is so I am afraid I don't know how to care for it. It is an interesting plant and everyone already asks me what it is so any ideas would be appreciated.

{{gwi:112905}}

Thanks,

doggies7

• pirate_girl

Hard to tell, it's a bit yellower-green than it should be (unless it's just the photo).

Strictly a guess, but I'm going to say Euphorbia lactea (which is not a cactus, but is a succulent).

• doggies7

pirate_girl,

The main plant is pretty green but the smaller attached pieces are a little yellow on the tips. I found pictures of the Euphorbia lactea on the web and my husband said that the parent plant looked nothing like that. The lady that worked there rooted the cuttings a while ago from the parent plant.

I might have to send him back there to find out what it is...lol. He will love that!

doggies7

• doggies7

I don't know if this helps but the lady told him that it can have yellow flowers.

Thanks,
    doggies7

• shrubs_n_bulbs

It sure looks like one of the epiphytic "Holiday" cacti, genus Shlumbergera. But yellow is not a normal flower colour for them.

• chloeprays

I can't access the picture but there are some yellow shlums. One in particular, Gold Charm, or Yellow Charm. Very pretty flower.
    Kind Regards
    Chloe

• doggies7

Hi everyone.

Thanks for posting your ideas. I have looked at different pics of holiday cactus on the internet and none of them look like what I have.

The parent plant has a green trunk that ran the length of the plant and had these cutting pieces coming off from the plant. My husband describes it as a "cactus tree or bush". The parent plant had to be at least 4 feet tall. She said that they could have yellow flowers but my husband also told me today that she said that she had never seen them bloom...lol. So...they may not bloom at all, i don't know.

Here is the link to the picture for those who can't see the picture above.
    http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/dogsulove07/Houseplants/HPIM0483.jpg

Thanks for all of your ideas, I really appreciate it. I will keeping researching.

doggies7

• mfyss

Sounds like pirate girl may have it. It looks like a stressed Euphorbia lactea crest. As she said, the color is strange, and it would not likely flower. You might check it for milky sap. Yale

• cactusjordi

I am pretty sure this is a (Brasil-)Opuntia brasiliensis

Jordi

• dufflebag2002

I think it may be an opuntia as well, I only know the common name of Opuntia
    'Jacob's Coat', which is variegated. If we are right, it will need more sun, and fresh soil it will plump up, this one looks very thin, it sounds far-fetched that it could be an Opuntia. Give it more sun gradually and wait and see, I'm growing my Opuntia in the shade and it doesn't look like that. Give it more sun and take another picture.
    If it is what the others suggested give slightly more sun slowly and wait and see, it should set buds, if the others are correct. Mine is setting buds now. Norma

• paulzie32

I believe cactusjordi is correct. I have wanted to get one of these cactus for a very long time.... Especially after seeing the picture in Bensons book on North American cactus. It grows into a tree with the thin pads looking like leaves and spines appearing to just grow randomly along the "leaves". Opuntia Brasiliensis also appears to be known as: Brasiliopuntia argentina, Brasiliopuntia brasiliensis ssp. subacarpa, Brasiliopuntia subacarpa, Opuntia neoargentina, Brasiliopuntia neoargentina, Brasiliopuntia schulzii, Opuntia schulzii, Opuntia bahiensis, Opuntia argentina, Cactus brasiliensis and Brasiliopuntia bahiensis.
    Here's a pic of a larger one.

• cactusjordi

Norma,

O. brasiliensis has such almost leaf-thin pads!

Paulzie32, I doubt you saw this plant in Benson's book on North American cactus, because this species is native to South America only!

The pic in the link below I took from www.cactus-succulents.com

Jordi

Here is a link that might be useful:

• doggies7

I want to again thank everyone for their time and effort in finding a name for my little friend. I also agree with everyone that it is Opuntia brasiliensis. Mine doesn't look exactly like that but it is probably because it is a new cutting. I am hoping to get to the nursery where my husband bought it to get a look at the parent plant myself.

Now that I know what it is, am I doing the right things for it? I have it in a south window and planted in cactus soil. I lightly watered it when I repotted it from the nursery pot. Do I need to move it to a different location, water it more or less?

Again, thanks for all everyone has done. I am very appreciative :).

Thanks,
    doggies7

• paulzie32

Thanks cactusjordi, I know it's a Cactus Native to South America. The name kinda gives it's origin away... but on Page 533, it states 'Reported by Britton and Rose (Cactacea 1:209. 1919) and by Small (1933) to be naturalized in Florida, but no specimens have been found. According to Small: "Hammocks, mostly on shellmounds, or occasionally in waste-places, pen.Fla. and the Keys."'
    Above that is the picture (Fig. 558). It shows two young women with a "tree" between them and another to their left with a young girl and boy on the other side of it. The Caption under it states "Brazilian cactus, Opuntia Brasiliensis, in cultivation about 1910. (David Griffiths; see Credits)" I'd post it here if I could, but no scanner. Maybe someone else with a copy of the book and a scanner could post it for you ;-)
    But thanks.
    This is the image on the opposite page though

• cactusjordi

Sorry paulzie32 that I doubted your info. I have Benson's book but didn't check it before I responded. I didn't realize that Benson included not only native to North America but also imported/naturalized cacti from Central and South America in his book.
    And wow, he even spent 2 pages for this species!

Jordi

• paulzie32

No problem cactusjordi ;-) we all need to double check eachother if we want reliable info to be found here! I was caught a few weeks ago giving an incorrect ID on a cactus... No biggie and I appreciated the person correcting me! I learned too! wouldn't want someone getting the wrong ID and then mistreating their plants.
    And it looks like Davesgarden doesn't like free traffic! So I won't mention anything about their pictures on here and won't use them again! So there!