GET IDEAS
bluetreess

Pseudotsuga menziesii "Arrowhead Blue" cones

bluetree

Moved a six year old Pseudotsuga menziesii "Arrowhead Blue" last Spring. Even though we had a bad drought I keep it watered and it did fine. This Spring it put on cones on the end of every branch. What were once buds are know cones. Most branches now only have one bud. Will new buds form on the ends of these branches? Should I cut the cones off? Any help will be appreciated. THANKS MUCH

• coniferjoy

Blue tree moved a blue tree last spring... ;0)
    Please, don't worry, your specimen is trying to survive, it's a bit stressed now, that's why it produces the cones.
    As Ken is saying always: water properly and no fertilizer for now.

You're a member of this forum for a long time, almost for a decade, but I can't remember I've seen your nick name here before...

• bluetree

Thanks much for the info Edwin. Would it be best to take the cones off as there are so many they are weighting the limbs down? Thanks much Greg

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

You're more likely to do damage cutting them off than if left alone...even if they're weighing down the branches.

tj

• coniferjoy

Greg, I would try to cut them of in a nice and proper way.
    This conifer has a rough time now, trying to survive and developing cones, both will cost it a lot of energy...

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

I don't know Edwin, healing open wounds also takes energy and open wounds make the plant susceptible to disease. And the recent move has reduced its defenses.

tj

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if the cones are already there.. couldnt one argue the energy is already spent???

i forgot to check mine last time i drove teh mower past it 80 times.. lol

ken

• pineresin

Let the cones develop! They're the most attractive part of the tree ;-)

Don't forget to post some photos!

Resin

• bluetree

Thanks all for your input will try to get a picture posted.

• bluetree

A few photos