Shop Products
abgardeneer

Having trouble logging in?

abgardeneer

Just wondering, as the activity level has been pretty low here this evening, all of a sudden.

If so, try logging in using your user name and password but with all lower case letters. (That, so far, is the ONLY way I've been able to log in, even after setting up a new registration.)

I've been having problems logging in for several days now, and thought it was my new computer, but it seems to be GW (see "Comments and Suggestions" for more).

Lori

• dentaybow

Yup, something changed. I can log in but I get all the ads. Something I have never had to deal with as a member. Now it seems to make no difference....ads before and after log-in. Guess I will have to mosey over to comments and suggestions and see if I can fix this.
    Jan

• dentaybow

More Phooey! Looks like all the trade lists and email links to members have disappeared too. Hope this gets fixed soon.
    Jan

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

There's been talk about this in other forums too, and people are really getting disgusted. All of the forums are free again, so once your membership runs out, you'll get all the ads. I'm not a paying member, but i've been pretty lucky with pop-ups being blocked. However, the ads that are running now are "beta" ads or something like that - guess we'll now have to have beta blockers! LOL

Apparently the powers that be at IVillage are working on this and hope that everything is back to normal soon. Well, as normal as it can be when you're bombarded by ads constantly. :(

• kat3

No trouble logging in & no changes to my trade list.. But there's been trouble at the bird watching forum.. They took away our ability to post images & make paragraphs, but seems like they have restored it now..
    There had been a bunch of complaints about the pop up adds just before it all happened.. But things seem fine now.. Have noticed today there aren't as many pop up ads either..

• crazymaisy

I can finally log in, but its displaying my old name crazymaisy???? Ahhh, I want my crazygardener back!

• marilena

I can also finally login but my name was changed back to my real name. I think the problem started yesterday afternoon when I opened GW and it kept asking me if I wanted a yearly membership of $ 39.95 US to GW. I am already a contributing member and paid them about 1 month ago. The ad kept flying across the screen so to stop it, I finally clicked into it and it's then that I lost the ability to login. And right now I just removed the ability for anyone to contact me by email because I noticed that I could see other people's email addresses and I get enough spam and viruses on my business email, I certainly don't want more on my private email.

Hmmm, it just let me log in with a capital M, but i see my name comes up with a small m.

Marilena, they're doing away with paid memberships, so it's odd that they would adveritize for it! But things seem to be really screwy lately. Everything of mine was okay, but there was a warning at the WS forum that people's emails were being displayed on their pages. Mine wasn't. Go figure.

About five or six years ago, when a poster's email was displayed instead of "My Page", someone harvested all the addresses and sent horrible pornographic spam to everyone - and it would open automatically to a full page even if you didn't click on it (like if you tried to click on it to delete it). Fortunately for me, my connection was so slow at the time that i was able to control-alt-delete out of everything before any images came up!

• marilena

I was freaked when I saw that earlier Marcia. I started to read it very briefly and it stated something like that you had 2 options. One was minimal advertising and the other one was no advertising and some other features like additional space to keep your pictures and journal.

Just to check I went from name to name on the FN forum and I can see three of the email addresses on this thread. I remember that a long time ago there was some guy from Quebec who harvested everybody's email on GW and started to send junk mail about his seed company (he was caught by Bob - aka Spike) but I don't remember the pornographic stuff. And with some of the creeps out there who have the time and desire to create trojan horses, viruses, and spam, I'm playing it safe for now.

Just checked and i saw a couple of addresses too. Mine didn't come up, though. I wish i knew how they "select" the people to give trouble to! I've only had to re-log in a few times, and my name is lower case. And i don't get a lot of pop-ups either.

Shaking my head!

• alalbertaz2b

Hi all
    Every time I want to post something I have to log in. My name also appears in lower case letters. This forum is also very slow to load when I log on. The good thing is that all the popup's and advertising have dissappeared.
    So things have improved somewhat.

Cheers Al

• CrazyDaisy_68

Yup, ditto here! Every time I want to post I need to log back in which is getting pretty frustrating.

For me the ads are still annoying though.

• crazymaisy

There have been some major changes going on in the last 2 days and therefore lots of glitches. Go to Suggestions and Comments and keep updated.

Hopefully the tech guys will fix all the problems by this weekend.

Here is a post from Tamara

RE: Login Problems
    Posted by: gwtamara null (My Page) on Fri, Jan 6, 06 at 2:50

Hi folks,
    I apologize for not updating sooner but, as I'm sure you can understand, things have been very busy and we've been trying to get things back on track. So, between that and answering email, it's hard to be in more then one place at a time.

I'm going to attempt to answer your questions, but please understand that I may not have all the answers yet, as some areas are still being worked on. I know that there are going to be answers that you may not like, and I can respect that. But, I'd also ask for your respect and understanding in return. Most everyone has been very patient and I appreciate that.

Many of the login problems have been fixed, but we are still working on issues that involve those of you with a capital letter in your username - or who may have had a capital letter in a name that you had before changing to your current one. This is our top priority and should be resolved soon.

The question was asked regarding why all usernames are in lowercase letters. There are technical reasons for this, but the main reason is that because we are moving over to iVillage's registration and authorization system, all usernames must be compatible with the system in place. I know this is upsetting for many of you who had names where capital letters were an important part of the name, but there was really no way around this. I'm checking to see if it's possible that we can help you change your name to help reflect the old name. So that if 'BetsyTX' becomes 'betsytx' - perhaps we can workaround that to 'betsy_tx'. As I said, I'm still checking on this and will let you know once I find out for sure.

Regarding the ads and contributing memberships -- this is also on our list to be fixed. I apologize if you're seeing these ads. It's not our intention, but with the move to the new registration system, it's just something that broke and has to be fixed.

Exchange lists -- this is also being investigated. I know that some lists have completely disappeared and I hope that we'll be able to retrieve those once the login issues have been resolved. I'm also checking on adding the link back onto member pages. In the meantime, if you're looking for a particular exchange, you can find them here: http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch-search.cgi . This is also the same for the 'send an email' link on member pages.

I think I covered the major issues. If you're having problems with other things, please use this page http://letters.gardenweb.com/letters/mailed.html to contact us.

I know that this hasn't been a good day and that you're unhappy -- and I can completely understand that! But, please know that we have a team of very hard-working people behind the scenes who are doing everything they can to fix things. They want things to work just as much as you do.

Tamara

Here is a link that might be useful: Suggestions & Comments Forum

• crazymaisy

I thought this form may interest you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Opt Out

• dentaybow

Marcia - Please clarify? Where did you get the information that paid membership was being done away with?
    Tamara's message sure does not indicate this....simply that it is a temporary problem.
    Jan

• hunnerbun

I didn't have trouble logging in but the whole site has been very slow for the past week. It takes forever for the threads to load and once the site opens it locks up so I can't scroll down to see the threads.
    I have been using Firefox as my browser and it blocks all the popups but occasionally I still get that iVillage triangle thingy that slides across the page....annoying!

• Pudge 2b

Hmm, I've had very little trouble except for not being able to log in that one night - I just figured the site was down and waited it out, logged in the next day and all is fine. A little P for Pudge, but that's okay cause I'm on a diet anyway.

I remember that Russian porn site - it was prior to 2001, everyone had to re-register after that.

For those who have to keep logging in, there's an option to remember the information on your computer. At the very top of this page is the link for YOUR PROFILE. If you click that, the next page is a login screen and the box to check to save info to the computer. (The info was previously saved to a cookie on the GW server, but IV has changed the server). After logging in on that page, when you continue on, you'll have to provide some info to GW in order to save your profile, but the info can be fudged pretty easily if you don't want IV to know your name, etc.

Also - at the bottom of the page where you're updating the profile where it has choices about email, make sure you choose to have your email shown to "none". I think that's why some people were having their email addresses shown was because there is/was a choice to have it shown to (1) none, (2) GW members only, and (3) everyone, and some may have had the GW members only checked but when IV did their changes, it screwed up.

I searched all over and couldn't find anything about paid memberships and how to become one. I wonder if Marilena saw a test page that will be coming out in the future? I recall reading a thread that said IV was 'thinking' about doing away with paid memberships, but I don't think it was written in stone. A lot of GW members want the choice to be paid members only to not see the ads, so perhaps IV is still considering this option?

It has been said across the forums that IVillage was doing away with paid memberships. That's why the pay-per-view forums are free once again. Of course, members who renewed not knowing that this was happening have probably lost their money. :( (Not me - i pay at Delphi, but not here).

As for the log-in problems, i've checked the "save to my computer" thing every time and i still have to log in again! But, like Pudge, i've had very few problems otherwise, and the pages aren't that slow to load. I'm not the only one with high-speed, i'm sure, so it must be luck or something. Who knows? LOL

• northspruce

Hmmm I seem to have avoided this problem because my name has always been all smalls. But I keep having to log in. It's pretty weak they require us to provide personal information such as name and gender to update our profile.

I joined in 2001 and must have just missed the porn spam event, but my e-mail was harvested by some OrchidGram crap that I still get a "newsletter" from. Oh well.

• crazymaisy

I wrote an email yesterday asking about my members name not displaying properly and here is the reply back letter, so crossing my fingers I get my crazy_gardener back and I don't care if its lower case letters ;)

Sharon,

We're aware that membernames are not displaying properly.
    This is being investigated and should be resolved soon.
    Also, once this has been fixed, if you have a member bio listed, it
    should also display properly once again.

I know this has been a difficult time and we truly do appreciate your
    patience as we resolve these issues.

Best,

Tamara Amey
    GardenWeb Community Manager

• leftwood

About relogging in problems:

Whether you have saved you info or not, try refreshing (reloading) the page. It just might work.

I guess I am one of those with all lower case letter names to begin with too, and I really haven't had any problems with that that I couldn't fix myself. leftwood: a fortuitous typo when I first joined GW.

The "Opt Out" that Sharon (aka CrazyGardener & crazymaisy) posted can also be addressed in the member profile.

• Crazy_Gardener

Well, it looks like everything is back to normal now?

So glad to get my CG name back ;)

Sharon

I wonder if i'm a Capital M again? Doesn't look like it in the preview. Oh well....

• Crazy_Gardener

Marcia, there will be no more capital letters in members names, I guess its better than nothing ;)

One thing I did notice today, is that it won't allow a proper postal code when updating your members information. Now I can't post at the Canadian Exchange because it reverts that I live in the USA.

Hopefully the crew are working on this for the non-United States members too.

Sharon

It won't let me update my information because it says my Postal Code isn't valid! LOL Oh well...

• marilenav1

Sharon and Marcia, I noticed the same thing. My id also reverts to the US no matter how often I change it to Canada. Sharon why do you think we won't get the capital letters back? Does anybody know the differences between the old policy and the new one?

• Crazy_Gardener

Marilena, at the Login Problems thread at the Suggestion & Comments forum, Tamara writes,
    "The question was asked regarding why all usernames are in lowercase letters. There are technical reasons for this, but the main reason is that because we are moving over to iVillage's registration and authorization system, all usernames must be compatible with the system in place. I know this is upsetting for many of you who had names where capital letters were an important part of the name, but there was really no way around this. I'm checking to see if it's possible that we can help you change your name to help reflect the old name. So that if 'BetsyTX' becomes 'betsytx' - perhaps we can workaround that to 'betsy_tx'. As I said, I'm still checking on this and will let you know once I find out for sure."

The only thing that I have noticed in the new TOS that has changed is that they now state in the agreement that...

You agree not to use the Exchanges to solicit donations, ask for free plants or seeds, or ask for items in exchange for postage, including requests for Self Addressed Stamped Envelopes. All requests must be in the context of arranging a trade. All Exchanges are restricted to users from a particular country, region or state. If not indicated otherwise, the Exchanges are restricted to residents of the U.S. To find an exchange for your location, you may refer to the Exchange Index. Each post to an Exchange must have a type of trade, subject and a message.
    · Trading is done at your discretion. GardenWeb has no control over or responsibility for trades arranged. Messages addressed to or meant for particular users should be sent via email and are not allowed in the Exchanges.
    · If you have trouble with another person coming through with their end of a trade, you must deal with it privately and not through the forums. Any public accusation in the forums, or elsewhere on the GardenWeb Network, will result in the accuser being banned.

This was only stated at the exchange forums before where it says Special Instructions for the Exchanges.

Sharon

• northspruce

I still can't save the username and password on either of my computers. Can anyone else?

I didn't notice the postal code thing because I made up false info which included a zip code of 90210 and a name of Hoolio Espladres. Hee hee. That'll screw em. Harvest my info will ya. I'm sure they will fix the postal codes soon.

BTW, someone mentioned in a different thread that GW had sold their email to spammers; I'm pretty sure they didn't *sell* it but for awhile some people's emails were visible to all, by accident.

• Konrad___far_north

>>I still can't save the username and password on either of my computers. Can anyone else?

The same here!
    It's a Paine..hopefully it gets fixed soon.

• SeaOtterCove

As of yesterday I didn't have to log in everytime I came to the site. So far (fingers crossed) everything is fine.

Syreeta

• luv2gro

Lucky you, Syreeta. I still have to log in. Sigh . . . maybe this is about to get fixed. But, you know, it could be much worse. We could still be not logging on at all. This not staying logged in is really only a minor inconvenience compared to not being able to log on.

Shauna

• Crazy_Gardener

I still can't save the username and password on either of my computers. Can anyone else? Mine is working fine.

I'm wondering what your Internet Privacy settings are set at, mine is set at medium, if that makes any difference?

I dont know about that, I do know that some people have always chose the option to show their email to the public, inside and outside of the GW. There are so many rumors going around right now, I wouldnt take anything for granted.

One thing I like to mention is that we have a choice, we can leave or we can stay, relax or panic, check off the advertising boxes that you want or dont want, hide your email or show it, sign the opt form or dont, give all the info you want or dont give out your real name or any information they may ask, secure your computer with a pop-up stopper, spy-ware, empty cookies often and most important of all dont use your business email address, set up an Hotmail or Yahoo account for GW. Yahoo has a great spam feature where it all gets filed in the trash ;)
    Anyway, what gets me most of all, not at this forum but on some others, is all these people that whine and complain and say they are leaving, then actually dont go, it's funny how all of sudden, once each glitch at a time gets fix, they are quiet.
    Im staying, I love GW, I love all my friends that I have made over the years and the number one reason, I love talking to others about gardening who know the challenges of gardening in the cold north as I do and I hope that none of you are deciding to leave too.

Sharon

• alalbertaz2b

Hello all
    Everything seems to back to the way it always was. I don't have to log on everytime I want to post something and it even loads a bit faster than it did. The only difference is my user name is in lower case letters.

When GW was having all the problems I did a search on what other forums were out there that best describes our growing conditions. I could find nothing as they mostly related to growing conditions south of the border in the U.S. I will not be leaving this forum as I think it is the best one that is closest to the conditions that we grow our plants in. Also a lot of the people here are 'almost neighbors' with the same growing conditions and can relate to all that is posted. I look forward to talking with everyone here on Far North forum in the future.

Cheers Al

I'm no longer having trouble logging in either.

There have been problems before where people said they were going to leave and then didn't. I agree - this is the best place to learn about our type of gardening and to meet people who share our challenges in the "far north" (that always gives me a chuckle - if we ever have a get-together, we should all come as Eskimos! LOL)

Four years ago, i was part of a mass exodus from another GW forum, but while others never would come back to any forum here, i kept up with this forum at least, and i'm glad i did!

• CrazyDaisy_68

I just posted under a different thread a few moments ago and as I hit "submit" I realized I hadn't had to log in! This is great! We are back to normal.

• Crazy_Gardener

Although it still won't take a proper postal code, I just put 12345, but it is accepting the province and country. Yeah, I'm allowed to post at the Canadian Exchange now ;)

Sharon